Will a kind soul evaluate these specs and tell me if they're worth it?
Hello, all

I haven't used PCSX2 in a while, since I'd already played the games I wanted most to play, while being bummed down by finding out I couldn't play some others properly.

I've been offered a bargain on a rig I'd like your opinion on.

Off the top of my head, I remember being unable to play Dark Cloud 2 because of my old processor. Other games like FFXII, Okami and KH2, I managed to play normally by using speed hacks.

Can someone please tell me if I'll be able to comfortably (without speed hacks) play most of the PS2's library with these specs:

AMD FX 6100 3.3ghz 8mb
GForce GT430 2gb DDR3
8 Gb RAM

Thanks in advance for the help and excuse my lack of tech-savvyness Smile
I have no sig!

Sponsored links

unfortunately, no.
AMD bulldozer's architecture has been proved to perform badly with pcsx2 as well as general gaming
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
I'm having the exact same discussion over at Dolphin's forums, since I use both, and they've recommended me the Intel i5 series (i5-2500k or i5-3750k). Will this be just as good for what I want with PCSX2?
I have no sig!
Indeed an i5 2500K is what we also recommend. OC that nice processor to 4 Ghz and there is almost nothing that can't be ran at full speed Wink
[Image: newsig.jpg]
I've never overclocked before, and would like to avoid it. Would getting the 3750k let me do this?
I have no sig!
Manufacturers set the clock speed of their CPUs far, far lower than what they're safely capable of, so a modest overclock could really just be thought of as reversing the underclock you're saddled with out of the box. There's no reason to spend the money on a nice processor and not get your money's worth. Unless you're aggressively targeting the fastest stable OC humanly possible the entire process should give you very little trouble. Honestly, if you're worried about damaging your CPU, buy some aftermarket cooling (30$) and your OCed processor will probably run cooler than it does now at stock. The fans that ship with new CPUs are absolutely awful.

Anyway, if you decide you are interested a quick Google search will yield all the information and guides you could possibly need.

Edit: The 3750k should let you play most things at full speed, so if you're not planning on OCing absolutely choose that processor. Honestly, before I upgraded my computer recently I got away with a fast Core 2 Duo on quite a few games, making liberal use of speedhacks. That being said, if you want to play as many games as possible without any reliance on speedhacks you should still consider OCing to 4ghz, which the 3750k could do effortlessly. People get that processor up to 4.5 without much of a problem.
Please don't buy an unlocked processor if you're not gonna overclock.
That's just senseless, dude. ;P

Buy the non-K version then, and save some money.
(05-03-2012, 04:54 AM)Rezard Wrote: Please don't buy an unlocked processor if you're not gonna overclock.
That's just senseless, dude. ;P

Buy the non-K version then, and save some money.

Ah good point, I wasn't even thinking about that Tongue That being said, I reiterate my point that there's no compelling reason to avoid OCing. I don't know the specifics for that model of i5, but my processor (phenom x4 960t) was stable up to 3.6ghz without raising the vcore, and required only a modest increase to reach 4ghz.
(05-02-2012, 11:12 PM)jesalvein Wrote: unfortunately, no.
AMD bulldozer's architecture has been proved to perform badly with pcsx2 as well as general gaming

Does that mean that the core he mentioned is less powerful than a conventional Phenom 2 quad?

Cause if it ain't, what he has would be adequate to play Dark Cloud 2 on the svn without too much of a problem, including speedhacks for the occasional busy scenes. Although the PAL version, Dark Chronicle, requires both 10 less frames to run properly and is actually a bit less demanding than its counterpart.
Quote:Does that mean that the core he mentioned is less powerful than a conventional Phenom 2 quad?
you got it... Sad
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go