Will an i7-4820k be fast enough?
Lightbulb 
So I have this desktop at the moment and it doesn't have a good processor  Glare  (Pentium 4). My friend has an i7-4820k that he said he'll sell to me Laugh . He's trying to get rid of it because he wants an upgrade. Is this a good processor for emulation?

I would also like to know if it can run Shadow of the Colossus at 60+ fps with no speed hacks. Is it also possible to run most of the games here without speed hacks as well? Thanks for reading Biggrin .

Sponsored links

yes, yes and yes.
one note, though : you'll have to change your Mobo too.
means, you'll probably have to change your RAM too, as well as you PSU.
In fact, you'll have to change your whole PC
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(12-30-2018, 05:02 PM)jesalvein Wrote: yes, yes and yes.
one note, though :  you'll have to change your Mobo too.
means, you'll probably have to change your RAM too, as well as you PSU.
In fact, you'll have to change your whole PC

I think it's time for a change anyway. I'll go and see if my friend has any other components that will go together with the 4820k Biggrin
Well thanks for your help  Smile .
Hello, technically speaking i7-4820k is already a beast in emulation world, the problem is.... if he is selling you the chipset only (processor) you will need to change everything, from motherboard, ram, psu, everything...

if he will sell to you the whole system unit, that would be great
I love when people post for the 1st time & just essentially repeat what was already stated Smile I think jesalvein pretty much made that perfectly clear. But I digress
Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Geforce RTX 2060 6GB
32 GB DDR4 RAM
I am not sure what graphics card you have, heck depending on the pentium 4 platform you are using it might even be an AGP based one, but keep in mind that even with a good CPU, you will still need a decent GPU too depending on the games you want to play. The 4820k has no integrated graphics, not that the hd 4000 or hd 2500 from the ivy bridge era would be much better then none at all.

Depending on your budget something mid range from Nvidia's 600 series or newer should work for a good amount of games as long as you don't push enhancing them too hard. Radeon 7000 series or newer, mid range or better, should also work but will have some performance penalties in OpenGL due to driver support, but again if you don't push enhancements it should work.