Will it run FFX in 1080p?
Just remember temperature is a serious issue with laptops, control it with care and you shall be fine.
Imagination is where we are truly real

Sponsored links

...yeah, don't be too eager to overclock it. Tongue

I don't see what's the big issue with internal resolutions in Pcsx2. I run all my games on 1920x1080 with a Mobility Radeon 4670 XT (1 Gb) and a Core 2 Duo T6600 2.2 Ghz and only see a couple frames of difference at best when switching to the native resolution. The CPU you have makes a much bigger deal.

Power saving should never be an issue on a laptop if it's set to high performance mode. And it should never throttle unless it overheats from overclocking, which I don't recommend anyway. Why waste such a high performance laptop by unnecessarily OCing it just to run one emulator? You could potentially fry it without good cooling. A desktop is much better suited for overclocking and such, and you shouldn't need to overclock a laptop like that anyway if even my mediocre specs can handle most games fine with speedhacks. Seems like a waste of money to me.
How about a 6870M + 2720qm combination? Will this still be a good performing system? And in regard to overclocking a laptop, I have been very successful in overclocking my QX9100 in my laptop, from 2.26ghz to 3.2ghz without in a relatively stable fashion, while managing temps under 90 degrees.
In terms of picking a graphics card, here are my options:

Radeon 6870M (+$0)
GTX 460M (+$75, more power consumption, worse performance?)
Radeon 6970M (+$175, more power consumption, better performance?)
a cpu temp of 90c is extremely dangerous, your processors safe operating temperature is below 70c. I honestly wouldnt recommend overclocking a laptop at all.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(03-03-2011, 05:02 PM)refraction Wrote: a cpu temp of 90c is extremely dangerous, your processors safe operating temperature is below 70c. I honestly wouldnt recommend overclocking a laptop at all.

They've been stressed tested and they work fine. Besides, they are 15 degrees below the limit of 105. back to my original question, which graphics card would be better for PCSX2 in terms of price/performance ratio?
They may work at those temperatures but that doesn't mean it's not hurting your laptop as it is, 90ºc is really high and harmful "just 15 degress bellow the limit" doesn't mean it's designed to work at those temps safely Tongue2
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
A CPU temp of 90C means imminent failure.
I'm not concerned. I've been running at this speed and tempertature for 2 years now. Either my hardware is godlike or my sensors are screwed up.