Will loading a save state effect memory card saves?
Hi!

I am looking for an answer to a question, which is when I load an save state will it effect memory card saves in any way? (I have a save state on the battle with sephiroth in Kingdom hearts 2, will loading it effect the memcards?) Thanks guys!
Specs: Intel Pentium P5 @ 60 Mhz, 1 Gigabyte HDD, OS: DOS

Sponsored links

It shouldnt. Pretty sure mem card saves are used to fix sstate corruptions at times too.
[Image: jmt41l-2.png]
SSD: 250GB | HDD: 2TB | GPU: MSI GTX 970 4G Gaming
Often, when you load a savestate, the game can not detect the memorycard.
Retrying a few times by pressing "save" often works for me Smile
AMD Phenom II X4 975 BE OC 4.0 GHz, Corsair Hydro H70
AMD Radeon HD 6990 OC, Accelero Twin Turbo
ASUS Crosshair V Formula 990FX
OCZ Revodrive 3 X2 240 Gb
16 Gb G.Skill 1833 MHz

23 PS2's
Loading a save state auto-ejects the memory cards. They will be auto-reinserted in a few seconds. Don't know why it needs to do that.

And it happened to me once that after boot I loaded a save state immediately and the game couldn't read the memory card properly. Don't understand why but after reboot and reloaded it worked fine.

Loading a save state won't change the data in the memory card.
The reason there's this "auto-eject memcards" is because the save-state includes all the games memory, and that state might be just after the game wrote (or read) something to the memory card, so the game has no reason to suspect that suddenly the memory card content will be different than it was a second ago, but when you load state (which doesn't affect the memory card), possibly some days later, the memory card's content might be different that what the game "knows", which may lead to various problems.

So for this reason, once a save-state is loaded, the memory card is ejected, and then re-inserted (when auto-eject is enabled), such that the game knows that the memory card might have changed, re-reads the cards content, and everything is fine.

This doesn't work on 100% of the games, but for the vast majority of them, it does the trick.
(04-21-2013, 01:04 PM)avih Wrote: The reason there's this "auto-eject memcards" is because the save-state includes all the games memory, and that state might be just after the game wrote (or read) something to the memory card, so the game has no reason to suspect that suddenly the memory card content will be different than it was a second ago, but when you load state (which doesn't affect the memory card), possibly some days later, the memory card's content might be different that what the game "knows", which may lead to various problems.

So for this reason, once a save-state is loaded, the memory card is ejected, and then re-inserted (when auto-eject is enabled), such that the game knows that the memory card might have changed, re-reads the cards content, and everything is fine.

This doesn't work on 100% of the games, but for the vast majority of them, it does the trick.

Thanks for the info, Avih, I started answering yesterday something in the line but stopped because felt unsure about the actual mechanism and reasons.
Imagination is where we are truly real
Thanks Laugh
Specs: Intel Pentium P5 @ 60 Mhz, 1 Gigabyte HDD, OS: DOS
(04-21-2013, 02:36 PM)ItsGreat Wrote: Thanks Laugh

Indeed, the reason behind the process became clear as water, it's not that sstate would change something in the stored savegames but losing track of the slots saved there, what could cause a terrible mess if changed in the while.
Imagination is where we are truly real