Will ripping PS2 discs destroy the physical disc itself?
Question 
Hi everyone, this is my first post on the forum. I know it's probably a stupid question but I'm still worried that my games are going to break. So basically I've seen tutorials and guides on how to set up a PS2 emulator, and am well on my way. The only thing stopping me is my fear of literally breaking my PS2 games. I am using a software called WinCDemu which is capable of creating ISO files. I have a collection of PS2 games, around 20 of them. There were actually from my friend, who game them to me a long time ago. I do own a real PS2 but there's something wrong with the disc drive on the PS2 and sometimes games don't work properly. It's annoying so I decided that I should emulate my (in perfect condition currently) PS2 discs.

So my question is that if I rip my PS2 games with WinCDemu will they break the physical discs? I am using a BD-ROM to rip the discs, and just want to make sure I won't end up one-by-one destroying valuable discs.

(I know it probably won't but just want to make sure.)

Sponsored links

Nope, not at all. I have made iso's of many of my games on one pc and had to make another on my new gaming rig.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
The ripping process is basically reading the contents of the disk and writing them to a virtual drive file, namely an .iso. No danger involved with the process, unless your reader is damaged in some way that could compromise the disc itself.
Thanks for your replies, Nobbs66 and Coornio. I was just worried because some time ago, I saw this video on YouTube of someone putting a Sega Dreamcast disc in a PS2 and it played a warning message, which gave me the idea that by mismatching console and game disc, you can physically damage hardware.

Just wondering, if it won't damage the system, would it be possible to create copies of a PS2 game using ISO images, and for that copied disc to work on an actual PS2?
(02-24-2014, 04:31 AM)zam1137 Wrote: Thanks for your replies, Nobbs66 and Coornio. I was just worried because some time ago, I saw this video on YouTube of someone putting a Sega Dreamcast disc in a PS2 and it played a warning message, which gave me the idea that by mismatching console and game disc, you can physically damage hardware.

Just wondering, if it won't damage the system, would it be possible to create copies of a PS2 game using ISO images, and for that copied disc to work on an actual PS2?

Supposing your PS2 is rooted, you can play copies of games you burn to DVDs. Otherwise it will see that the disc is not genuine and go into RSOD.
With each use of the disc if you play the game or if you RIP from the game ofcourse it will break down eventually, since that's the wear and tear of each cd, but the amount needed to actually break such a disc is such a high number of times, you could say it is near impossible to break down or become unreadable.
(02-24-2014, 09:31 AM)StriFe79 Wrote: With each use of the disc if you play the game or if you RIP from the game ofcourse it will break down eventually, since that's the wear and tear of each cd, but the amount needed to actually break such a disc is such a high number of times, you could say it is near impossible to break down or become unreadable.

Well yeah, it will get broken quicker from being moved from the cover to the DVD-ROM and Vice Versa.
Lenovo Y50-70 Gaming Laptop
Intel Core i7-4720HQ @ 2.6Ghz - 3.6Ghz Quad Core
Nvidia GTX 960M 4GB
8GB DDR3 Ram
15.6'' Full HD 1920 x 1080 IPS
Windows 10 64 Bit
---
Intel Core i5 4670 @ 3.4Ghz
Gigabyte H81M
Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB
8GB DDR 3 Ram
1TB WD Black
Windows 10 64 Bit
Phillips 23.6" 1920x1080 IPS
well not exactly, the drives die faster then the media does, God knows how much music discs I lost cause of faulty hardware (Circular or just Straight scratches all over) Ofcourse nowadays hardware is a whole lot faster, but if you really want to save your disc or am afraid of breaking down, never use it would be the wise thing to say, but then again you can't play the game.
(02-24-2014, 04:19 AM)zam1137 Wrote: I do own a real PS2 but there's something wrong with the disc drive on the PS2 and sometimes games don't work properly

Slightly off topic but you can read through this thread to see if your PS2 had the same issue as mine http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Fixing-my...ice-needed

Its still nice to have a working PS2 even if the emulator would play the games fine and make the games look better Rolleyes
Excl Note to self: learn to write shorter posts
(02-24-2014, 11:38 PM)Thewonderboy Wrote: Slightly off topic but you can read through this thread to see if your PS2 had the same issue as mine http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Fixing-my...ice-needed.

Its still nice to have a working PS2 even if the emulator would play the games fine and make the games look better Rolleyes

404 Not Found.
Lenovo Y50-70 Gaming Laptop
Intel Core i7-4720HQ @ 2.6Ghz - 3.6Ghz Quad Core
Nvidia GTX 960M 4GB
8GB DDR3 Ram
15.6'' Full HD 1920 x 1080 IPS
Windows 10 64 Bit
---
Intel Core i5 4670 @ 3.4Ghz
Gigabyte H81M
Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB
8GB DDR 3 Ram