Will this give me full frames?
ok, my current set up

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3800+ running @ 2664.1MHz (single core)
Southbridge: nForce 410/430 MCP

RAM
Slot #1 512MB PC-5300
Slot #2 512MB PC-4300
running dual-channel @ 296.0 MHz

GPU
"high-end" BFG GeForce 6600 512MB PCI-e
Core Clock: 510MHz
Memory Clock: 720MHz

i say "high-end" for the 6600 specifically because i've never seen a 6600's specs so high.

When i run PCSX2, i get about 25-30 FPS (with my config)

Based on what i've read already, it seems like it is mostly CPU-intensive.
I figured it would be similar to PSX1 emulation which appeared to be heavily GPU-intensive

I recently purchased a few things online and waiting for them to arrive.

First off, waiting for my new RAM to arrive, which is..
2x1 GB sticks, PC-6400 (DDR2-800)

Second, I recently purchased a PNY GTX 260 (used friend's molex to 6-pin adapter to sample it, waiting for my own adapter to arrive in the mail, so i cant use this sexy beast yet)

The thing is, with the GTX 260, and my weak CPU, StarCraft II Beta runs at FULL frames with ALL ultra settings (have not attempted "Extreme" settings)

So my question is, when i get my GTX 260 and the 800MHz RAM, will i be able to play with at least 60FPS?

if you guys cba to answer or help, its np, but thanks anyway
i'm new to this community and i know its common for the newbs to get flamed ^_^

Sponsored links

unluckily, no.

Pcsx2 doesn't take much RAM and , as you said, is mostly CPU intensive.

You will be bottlenecked by your cpu Anyways.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
ok, well i got some fast RAM, a fast GPU, whats next? (not for PS2 emulation, but general gaming)

motherboard, hard drives, or CPU??

ATA hard drives, a11g mobo

why is it so CPU-intensive, bad programming on the PCSX2 team? (no disrespect, very nice job on the current progress)
CPU. You have 1 core, a second one would yield a HUGE FPS increase. PCSX2 is extremely well optimized actually, you can find out more details about the complexity in the Why is PCSX2 slow? thread in the FAQ.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
(03-11-2010, 06:11 PM)Bositman Wrote: CPU. You have 1 core, a second one would yield a HUGE FPS increase. PCSX2 is extremely well optimized actually, you can find out more details about the complexity in the Why is PCSX2 slow? thread in the FAQ.

holyfuck, lol
yep that explains it pretty well
damn those guys are some pretty good coders

well im pretty dissapointed since no PS2 for me...
ironically there might be one in my house some where, but it was never used, and idk if theres cables for it, etc...

i wanted to try out some of the dragon ball games since i used to be realy into that stuff, and the newer PS2 DB games look pretty sweet. I know there is lots of other good RPGs and other games for PS2 but i didn't want to get drawn into the PS2 like that ^_^

i'll be back when i get a dual core CPU..but *****, i will still try it out with the GTX 260.
Do you think it would help at all? its a major upgrade from a geforce 6600 even if its OC'd to the max
No not really. I think even with the 6600, your bottleneck is still your CPU.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
(03-11-2010, 06:36 PM)Bositman Wrote: No not really. I think even with the 6600, your bottleneck is still your CPU.

xD i see
you are probably thinking, GTFO the forum with that weak CPU D:
(03-11-2010, 06:36 PM)Bositman Wrote: No not really. I think even with the 6600, your bottleneck is still your CPU.

Yup, your CPU (Processor) is too weak, a Pentium4HT would give better speed..
haha, sorry for interrupting. Tongue

(03-11-2010, 05:51 PM)DFA Wrote: if you guys cba to answer or help, its np, but thanks anyway
i'm new to this community and i know its common for the newbs to get flamed ^_^

Offtopic
What do u mean "cba" ?
did u mean try(coba) to help? (indo/malay)
SPECS:
i7-2630QM
NVIDIA GT540M
500GB SATA
4GB DDR3
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Windows 8 Pro 64-bit

Acer Aspire 4750G
It's "can't be arsed" Tongue2
DFA: Try to see if a Athlon X2 6000+ fits in your system, also look for a Geforce 8800GT or up.
That should help you get near to full speed in many games.
For more speed, it'll have to be a completely new computer. Something with core i5 or up Tongue2
(03-12-2010, 09:06 AM)rama Wrote: It's "can't be arsed" Tongue2
DFA: Try to see if a Athlon X2 6000+ fits in your system, also look for a Geforce 8800GT or up.
That should help you get near to full speed in many games.
For more speed, it'll have to be a completely new computer. Something with core i5 or up Tongue2

Athlon X2 6000+ will definitely fit in this socket, and it will definitely be enough. I just need $55 to buy one..

as for the graphics card, i have a GTX 260, just sitting in a drawer, waiting for a molex to 6-pin adapter to arrive in the mail, but that won't help, that BFG 6600 is enough for PCSX2, the specs of the 6600 pwnface compared to the PS2 GPU...its just a CPU problem =(

the 6600 is pretty surprisingly powerful, before I got the GTX 260, i tried a 9400 GT, and the 6600 didn't have as many features, but it was nearly just as powerful, and 9400 is 3 generations later!

with the 6600, StarCraft II runs in full frames on Low settings, and the GTX 260 will give full frames on Ultra settings