Will this laptop work???
Hello, I am planning to buy a laptop to play PS2 games such as Resident Evil 4, Ratchet and Clank, Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3 and Crash Bandicoot TWOC. I don't care so much about resolution, native or custom would be fine. I just want the games to be playable. The laptop I'm planning to buy is this:

Lenovo Y50-70
Intel core i7-4710HQ 2.5Ghz
16GB Ram
NVIDIA GTX 860M
1TB SSD

Sponsored links

playable->yes
expect some slowdowns, though. that CPu isn't bad, but it's below what is recommended for those games you're trying to emulate
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(10-19-2019, 06:13 PM)jesalvein Wrote: playable->yes
expect some slowdowns, though. that CPu isn't bad, but it's below what is recommended for those games you're trying to emulate

Thanks! What would be the recommended CPU for those type of games?
anything that scores above 2000 in this list : https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(10-19-2019, 07:26 PM)jesalvein Wrote: anything that scores above 2000 in this list : https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Awesome! I found a Dell Precision M4800 on eBay. These are the specs:

i7-4810MQ 2.80Ghz (scores 2,069 on the benchmark)
16GB Ram
AMD Firepro W4170M
Keep in mind that the gpu is also important because if you have a weak gpu and powerful cpu,the gpu will bottleneck the cpu and that will prevent it from giving you the best it can

That AMD gpu is around twice as good as the intel gpu builded in into that cpu(HD4600)
My i7-4771 also have the same igpu but my GTX750TI is around 5 times better and I can definitely see the difference
And also AMD gpus have bad OpenGL support which is something pcsx2 works best with(it is the most updated part of GSdx(the graphical plugin))

Some other emulators also work better with OpenGL(Cemu(a WiiU emulator)at least for now have only OpenGL support))
(10-20-2019, 09:37 AM)vsub Wrote: Keep in mind that the gpu is also important because if you have a weak gpu and powerful cpu,the gpu will bottleneck the cpu and that will prevent it from giving you the best it can

That AMD gpu is around twice as good as the intel gpu builded in into that cpu(HD4600)
My i7-4771 also have the same igpu but my GTX750TI is around 5 times better and I can definitely see the difference
And also AMD gpus have bad OpenGL support which is something pcsx2 works best with(it is the most updated part of GSdx(the graphical plugin))

Some other emulators also work better with OpenGL(Cemu(a WiiU emulator)at least for now have only OpenGL support))

Ah ok I see what you mean. I think I found a better option, what do you think about this one?

i7-7500U 2.7Ghz (scores 1,912)
NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
Umm no...It is low powered 2 cores cpu
While it meets the STP requirements,those two core save to also do everything else along with running high cpu usage app like pcsx2

7500U is a downgrade from 4810MQ and the gpu performance is barely different(except the fact that OGL will work better)

It will be better to just say how much money can you spend so someone may give you a good suggestion
(10-21-2019, 04:31 PM)vsub Wrote: Umm no...It is low powered 2 cores cpu
While it meets the STP requirements,those two core save to also do everything else along with running high cpu usage app like pcsx2

7500U is a downgrade from 4810MQ and the gpu performance is barely different(except the fact that OGL will work better)

It will be better to just say how much money can you spend so someone may give you a good suggestion

Sad Looking to spend no more than $400 since it will be used mainly for emulation. But seems like I will have to go for a higher budget for like a Dell G3 or Acer Nitro as those have an i5-8300H and a GTX 1050
You will also have to look at the storage because some of those cheap laptops with good cpu and gpu usually have something bad,like only 256gb ssd for storage or\and bad screen(colors\brightness)
400$ is too little for a gaming laptop good enough for emulation