Windescreen patches, (how do they work)
And should I even use them? The latest builds of PCSX2 comes with an option in the settings tab that says "enable widescreen patches" My questions are: 

how does the emulator apply these patches?

Is there a risk of graphical glitches that render it not worth using?

Are the patches smart? They seem to be. I noticed they didn't do anything in shadow of the colossus. But that game has an option for 16:9

Sorry for the noob question but I really just want a quick and dirty answer Tongue

Sponsored links

Widescreen patches CAN provide with some gamebreaking bugs, but it's different per game. As an example with Shin Megami Tensei Raidou Kuzunoha it moves some stuff around which makes it hard to complete it, but just turn the widescreen patches off and you can continue.
(05-31-2019, 07:02 PM)StriFe Wrote: Widescreen patches CAN provide with some gamebreaking bugs, but it's different per game. As an example with Shin Megami Tensei Raidou Kuzunoha it moves some stuff around which makes it hard to complete it, but just turn the widescreen patches off and you can continue.

Thanks for getting back to me so fast. But how did widescreen break the game? Wouldn't it only cause graphics bugs rather then physics bugs.
I believe it's due to the rendering process, so bugs will exist within Gsdx. Remember that Gsdx renders video, but it has more roles when comes to emulating the Emotion Engine, the core of the PS2. This is where the bugs can be present within the emulated system.
PC Specs:
PC: HP Omen 15 dc-0051nr laptop
CPU: Intel i7-8750H (2.2 GHz up to 4.1 GHz)
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 Notebook (6 GB)
Storage: 256 SSD PCi NV M.2+1 TB HDD
Need the latest GIT/development build? Click here!
Well as an example in that specific game I named there's a dungeon and there are some portals where you need to walk in between, but due to the widescreen patch the portals have moved and are quite difficult to get through, thus you cannot continue.