Windows 8 vs Windows 7
I'm about to upgrade my laptop, largely because I want to play PCSX2 more smoothly - my current PC is Win7 64 bit, but my new laptop will come preinstalled with Windows 8.

Is one better than the other? It would be easy for me to wipe the new laptop and put Windows 7 back on it.

Sponsored links

Well, I have been using Win8 for a time now and the main difference is somethings which worked with win7 before don't do it so easily with win8. Don't expect performance gain in games. Besides, that Metro thing may become a real annoyance if you don't hide it at once with some third party application to boot you directly into the desktop.

In time: MS has no interest in helping the users to return to previous OS, Win8 is MUCH BETTER for it's store and ... gasp... user control management than win7 will ever be.
Imagination is where we are truly real
when you write:

"the main difference is somethings which worked with win7 before don't do it so easily with win8."

do you mean for PCSX2, or just generally during PC use? I like windows 8 in general, but am willing to switch to Win7 to make sure PCSX2 works as well as possible.
(03-19-2013, 07:18 PM)ps2andy Wrote: when you write:

"the main difference is somethings which worked with win7 before don't do it so easily with win8."

do you mean for PCSX2, or just generally during PC use? I like windows 8 in general, but am willing to switch to Win7 to make sure PCSX2 works as well as possible.

PCSX2 will run from start without problems, just without improvements also. But some other games I have I still have issues getting then working... including Crysis, just as one example.
Yeah, I don't play PC games, just PCSX2. And I don't expect Win8 to improve my performance, but the much stronger laptop should Smile
GO WITH WINDOWS 8

I GET BETTER FPS IN 8 THAN FROM 7

P.S. IT LOOKS GOOD Tongue

(03-19-2013, 07:21 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: PCSX2 will run from start without problems, just without improvements also. But some other games I have I still have issues getting then working... including Crysis, just as one example.

really?

FarCry runs like cheese on windows 8 Happy
(03-20-2013, 07:42 AM)maanasmarineking Wrote: GO WITH WINDOWS 8

I GET BETTER FPS IN 8 THAN FROM 7

P.S. IT LOOKS GOOD Tongue

really?

FarCry runs like cheese on windows 8 Happy

Yeah, runs like cheese here also and I grant to you I mean Far Cry runs fine. Just can't see how this does help Crysis. Ahh, Crysis Warhead does run nicely also, after some initial problems and Crysis 2 never gave problems at all... still Crysis does not...

As stated, I'm using Win 8 for a time now, I had no real advantage "upgrading" but not enough problems to face the harassment that would take to go back to win 7, so it's still here.

PS: I promised myself that would not ask it, but seems I'm not strong enough and curiosity is my weakness. Why do you say it looks good? I really hope you don't mean the Metro UI, seriously.

In the end, if the user is a computer expert or know some helpful people who are, so most problems will be solved, otherwise, if is to run you computer like a tablet you wont have problems also.

Edit: If (lots of ifs) I didn't new better would think you are trying to troll the OP encouraging him to "upgrade" to Win 8. Yet I do agree if is to get the thing from start, pre-installed, that's OK. Besides, it's cheaper. MS expect to earn more with the store than with the OS sales, I'd say.
But stepping from a PC (Desktop) To a notebook/laptop? that's quite a huge slowdown o.o
I had issues with Crysis on Windows 8, too. I think I just ran an update and it fixed it. I can't really remember. I played it for like 30 minutes and uninstalled it. Tongue

(03-20-2013, 03:00 PM)StriFe79 Wrote: But stepping from a PC (Desktop) To a notebook/laptop? that's quite a huge slowdown o.o

I don't think so. He's upgrading from a laptop to a better one... PC doesn't just mean "desktop".
(03-21-2013, 01:30 AM)metalmallow Wrote: I had issues with Crysis on Windows 8, too. I think I just ran an update and it fixed it. I can't really remember. I played it for like 30 minutes and uninstalled it. Tongue

I don't think so. He's upgrading from a laptop to a better one... PC doesn't just mean "desktop".

Yep, laptop to laptop! This one will smoke my last one and the last one was no too bad.