Windows Defender alert on a dev build
Hi everyone. I hope that you're all feeling good.

Well, Yesterday, I discovered a dev build of the emulator. Which was just awesome by the way... and today, I had an alert from Windows Defender.

https://imgur.com/a/ujfIw

This alert appeared few minutes after the boot of Windows.

It is very strange because I made some research about this type of ransomware which is called "Gandcrap" and as I saw this is a brand new ransomware...

A friend suggested me that this alert could be not relevant and true. A false-positive.

Thanks for the help ! Have a nice day.

Sponsored links

I only run Windows Defender on my PC, but PCSX2 has never triggered a quarantine or anything.

I would run Malwarebytes on your PC before you add an exception for PCSX2

https://www.malwarebytes.com/
Hello. Thanks for your reply.

Well, even if I download again this dev build (number 2284)
Windows Defender is still detecing the PCSX2.exe file as a ransomware.
But, If Malwarebytes says that this file was fully safe !
Hmm, that's weird. Anyways, I submitted the exe to Microsoft so hopefully Defender won't flag it as ransomware once that's done. I would still do a full scan of your PC with MalwareBytes or SuperAntiSpyware.
That's weird,only 2284 is recognized as ransomware.
2283 and 2285 are fine
Bit Defender is happy with 2284
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

you could figure out which byte sequence it is and compare it with the build? i mean.. that's howto solve that.
MS has cleared the exe. Hopefully it won't give you any problems in the future once it gets submitted to the definitions database. Smile
Well, thank you very much, CK1.

Yes, it was very strange because this problem / type of alert was here only for the 2284 build.

And yes. That's a good idea, dabore. I'm going to investigate on the byte sequence.
Because, just like you, I think that there was a problem because of a funny and similar byte sequence
between the .exe file of the 2284 build and this ransomware.

Anyway. Thank you to everyone for your help and your advices ! Have a nice day.