Would 64bit benefit PCSX2 like it did with Dolphin?
(12-01-2015, 07:21 AM)phly95 Wrote: I don't get why you're saying Dolphin is slow. I run it just fine on my i5 ultrabook with integrated graphics (intel hd 4400). It's not 2008 anymore and x64 is now mainstream. x64 will be necessary for certain future advancements such as HD texture packs. Look at what Dolphin can do because it was not held back by 32 bit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM3eUDfLPRE which uses hella lot more than 2 GBs of RAM. While it's not necessary for accuracy, this is what will keep people interested in PS2 emulation.

you just skipped the important part :
Quote:Maybe they are only slow while running some games. I don't know about that.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go

Sponsored links

Well, it still doesn't change the fact that dolphin's hd texture packs have really benefited from 64 bits. I think it would be best to drop 32 bit and switch entirely to 64 bit. While it would take some time, the latest svn builds could be locked to make way for 64 bit.

Edit: or make a separate 64 bit process exclusively for the task of swapping ram from it to the main application if it's too hard to do the main application.
(12-01-2015, 07:21 AM)phly95 Wrote: I don't get why you're saying Dolphin is slow.

I tested it. My CPU is Core i5-2500K running at 4.4 GHz. Some recent builds released around that time are super slow. It might only affect some games, though.
well, I think it has to do with shader generation, because, yes, stuttering is an issue with all PCs. A workaround would be using async shaders with iishiiruka custom builds.
(12-01-2015, 07:47 AM)phly95 Wrote: Well, it still doesn't change the fact that dolphin's hd texture packs have really benefited from 64 bits.

Which texture packs? How much memory does it use? I believe you know that the 32-bit builds can use custom textures as well. Also, 32-bit applications can use up to 4 GB of RAM with the /LARGEADDRESSAWARE option.
(12-01-2015, 08:00 AM)xemnas99 Wrote: Which texture packs? How much memory does it use? I believe you know that the 32-bit builds can use custom textures as well. Also, 32-bit applications can use up to 4 GB of RAM with the /LARGEADDRESSAWARE option.

With LAA a 32 bit app can use 3GB on 32 bit systems and 4GB on 64 bit systems.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Don't forget that you still need ram for your kernel and others application (2GB?). So memory is quite used even on a 8GB memory PC.

Anyway, PCSX2 will one day be converted to 64 bits. Nobody is against it. It is/was a low priority. 64 bits don't solve bug neither improve a bad algorithm.

And IMHO a (partial?) HD texture pack for a couple of games isn't a killer feature (I'm not even sure it is doable with GS).

People have said that 32 bits will disappear next year since 2010. Yet again MS10 is still provided with a 32 bits kernel. So there is no need to rush Wink
I can use custom textures with 32-bit builds of Dolphin, so 64-bit isn't a requirement for this feature. Maybe a few huge texture packs require a lot of memory if they are preloaded, but I doubt that the program will use more than 4 GB of RAM.

(12-01-2015, 11:40 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: With LAA a 32 bit app can use 3GB on 32 bit systems and 4GB on 64 bit systems.

Yes. Thank you for the clarification.
(12-01-2015, 07:53 AM)phly95 Wrote: well, I think it has to do with shader generation, because, yes, stuttering is an issue with all PCs. A workaround would be using async shaders with iishiiruka custom builds.

The dolphin team is working on getting rid of shader stutter with "ubershaders"
https://github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/pull/3163