Xenosaga 1 Playability?
I just tried playing Xenosaga Episode I and it doesn't run very well on PCSX2. It's rather laggy in terms of gameplay, but FMVs are fine. I'd really like to be able to run it like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cedE6Jv51t0

I have Windows 7, 64 bit OS. I got this computer a few months ago. Emulator is running on GSDX10 plugin.

My PC specs:

6 GB RAM
3.30 Ghz with six-core processor
Graphics card is RADEON HD 6450

I'm pretty sure this is more than enough to run the game, even if it's a huge package. I try lowering the resolution but no luck. Is there anything I'm doing wrong? Is there anything I can do to improve the speed? Thanks!

Sponsored links

1st, don't trust youtube videos.
even if the actual galeplay was at 30fps, the YT video would play it at 50/60

second, you said you have a 6-core CPU. What kind of cpu is it ?
did you try latest svn with MTVU hack enabled ?
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
HP CPU, model h8-1100z.

And no, I haven't tried that but I'll do that right now. Is it really going to speed it up so drastically?

I should probably note that every single thing is buttery smooth, except for the combat. Which lags. A lot.
(05-29-2012, 11:09 PM)RoseBuddi Wrote: I should probably note that every single thing is buttery smooth, except for the combat. Which lags. A lot.

This is common in many games, usually due to certain parts of games having higher polygon counts or texture resolution or more objects than other parts.
<REDACTED>
I just updated with the latest SVN, and it works a LOT faster now. Still a little bit laggy at some parts, but it's a huge improvement.

Also, what is an MTVU hack? Sorry, I'm kind of a noob at this.
you'll find it in the speedhacks tab
When the game lags in Hardware Mode, switch (with F9) to Software Mode. You will notice a HUUUGE improvement in performance. For me it went from 25-27 FPS in Hardware Mode during fights with a lot of polygons on screen to around 55 FPS.

Considering that Xenosaga is a Turn based jRPG, even if it does not run @60FPS it's not a problem, in my opinion.

But keep in mind that your results may differ from mine because of the different hardware setups.
that could improve if your problem is a gpu bottleneck...
But it looks like you have a Bulldozer CPU. I guess it's at fault...
I'm leaning towards his GPU being the bottleneck. xx50s aren't terribly powerful and are intended for mid-end users. I don't think PCSX2 would qualify as mid-end.
the game works 60fps for me off of a

i7 920 + 6gb ram + 450gt @ 1080p interal res with FXAA

Only time it lags is with certain skills and when the battle has those big hunk mechs have 1 no problem have 2 or more hello slow down

Make sure mtvu hack is on im using the default sound plugin on default settings and what ever the latest GDSX plugin is in DX11 mode