Xenosaga Episode 1 low FPS
All of the posts I could find while googling this issue were on average a year old, so I thought I would ask this just to see if this was resolved.

Xenosaga Episode 1 has extremely horrible lag in the in-game cutscenes. I enabled VU Cycle Stealing but it just knocks the game's audio horribly out of sync. I also lowered the resolution down to native, and while it helped, I still saw drops in fps down to 25 in the cutscene after the tutorial battle. The gameplay ran flawlessly, though, even at higher resolutions, so I'm hoping something can be done about this. If not, I think I'll just load the youtube video with all the cutscenes and watch them as I make it there in the game, haha.

My specs are:
PCSX2 1.0
Windows 7 64-bit
Intel Core i3 530 2.93GHz
Nvidia GeForce 9800GT 1GB
4GB RAM

Sponsored links

(01-26-2014, 04:52 PM)Eanes87 Wrote: All of the posts I could find while googling this issue were on average a year old, so I thought I would ask this just to see if this was resolved.

Xenosaga Episode 1 has extremely horrible lag in the in-game cutscenes. I enabled VU Cycle Stealing but it just knocks the game's audio horribly out of sync. I also lowered the resolution down to native, and while it helped, I still saw drops in fps down to 25 in the cutscene after the tutorial battle. The gameplay ran flawlessly, though, even at higher resolutions, so I'm hoping something can be done about this. If not, I think I'll just load the youtube video with all the cutscenes and watch them as I make it there in the game, haha.

My specs are:
PCSX2 1.0
Windows 7 64-bit
Intel Core i3 530 2.93GHz
Nvidia GeForce 9800GT 1GB
4GB RAM

Your system might be too weak for this game.

What are EE and VU percentages when getting a slwodown?

It can be found in the title bar when in windowed mode.
Lenovo Y50-70 Gaming Laptop
Intel Core i7-4720HQ @ 2.6Ghz - 3.6Ghz Quad Core
Nvidia GTX 960M 4GB
8GB DDR3 Ram
15.6'' Full HD 1920 x 1080 IPS
Windows 10 64 Bit
---
Intel Core i5 4670 @ 3.4Ghz
Gigabyte H81M
Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB
8GB DDR 3 Ram
1TB WD Black
Windows 10 64 Bit
Phillips 23.6" 1920x1080 IPS
I disabled mtvu speedhack and the lowest I saw my fps was 42, with ee 88 and gs 58 (didn't see vu). those two fluctuated like crazy, but those were my readings with my lowest fps.

I get 60fps at 1280x720 during gameplay, and can keep 60fps at 1080p most of the time as well. 45 fps (at native of course) during cutscenes makes them unwatchable due to the dialogue audio being slowed down. if my system really is too weak, which I already feared it was, then I may just skip a cutscene, pause, watch it on youtube, resume, rinse and repeat. I've read episode 2 and 3 play nice with pcsx2, so I just gotta tough it through this one.

here, just so you can see exactly what it says

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(01-26-2014, 06:04 PM)Eanes87 Wrote: I disabled mtvu speedhack and the lowest I saw my fps was 42, with ee 88 and gs 58 (didn't see vu). those two fluctuated like crazy, but those were my readings with my lowest fps.

I get 60fps at 1280x720 during gameplay, and can keep 60fps at 1080p most of the time as well. 45 fps (at native of course) during cutscenes makes them unwatchable due to the dialogue audio being slowed down. if my system really is too weak, which I already feared it was, then I may just skip a cutscene, pause, watch it on youtube, resume, rinse and repeat. I've read episode 2 and 3 play nice with pcsx2, so I just gotta tough it through this one.

Yeah it looks like it's your CPU holding you back. I Don't think your GPU is too far behind though.

This game is really demanding.

Have you considered upgrading?
Nvidia GTX 960M 4GB
8GB DDR3 Ram
Windows 10 64 Bit
---
Gigabyte H81M
8GB DDR 3 Ram
1TB WD Black
Windows 10 64 Bit
Phillips 23.6" 1920x1080 IPS
A new GPU wouldn't go amiss eather, it will struggle a little as it's quite old now. That blended with the age of the CPU and the demand of this game, isn't going to yield high FPS unfortunately.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Well, I've read that my i3 can supposedly be overclocked to 3.5ish GHz on stock cooling. I have an MSI motherboard, with the option of overclocking automatically (supposedly it keeps it at a reasonable level) and I reached 3.5GHz. I monitored my temps and they were way too high while running god of war on pcsx2 (ran flawlessly, but didn't wanna melt my system). I don't know if core temp was reading wrong or not, so to be safe, I put it back to factory clock settings. This was half a year or so ago and I never tried it again. I always wondered if I went in and overclocked it manually if I'd be able to keep the temps a little lower, but never found the time.

As for a new GPU, what would you recommend? I've been looking at the gtx line, found a 650 2gb and 660 2gb on amazon for $150 and $200. Would I see a substantial upgrade from either of those, or do I need to go higher? My limit next month would be around 300 or so, I've honestly just never upgraded a pc before lol.
you would see a massive improvement with either of them, not to mention the inclusion of DirectX 11 support (which also helps PCSX2), i would go for the 660 if you can afford it, there is quite a leap between that and the 650.

As for overclocking, coretemp is accurate, but your CPU should be happy maxing out the temp at ~70c (my i7 920 @ 3.8Ghz hits 74c).

Your not going to really notice a difference witha 650, but a 660 will be much better.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
(01-26-2014, 06:53 PM)Nobbs66 Wrote: Your not going to really notice a difference witha 650, but a 660 will be much better.

There is one thing that will bring noticable performance increases. Back in the 9000 series days, they only used GDDR3, but they all use GDDR5 now, which is much quicker.

(01-26-2014, 06:44 PM)Eanes87 Wrote: Well, I've read that my i3 can supposedly be overclocked to 3.5ish GHz on stock cooling. I have an MSI motherboard, with the option of overclocking automatically (supposedly it keeps it at a reasonable level) and I reached 3.5GHz. I monitored my temps and they were way too high while running god of war on pcsx2 (ran flawlessly, but didn't wanna melt my system). I don't know if core temp was reading wrong or not, so to be safe, I put it back to factory clock settings. This was half a year or so ago and I never tried it again. I always wondered if I went in and overclocked it manually if I'd be able to keep the temps a little lower, but never found the time.

As for a new GPU, what would you recommend? I've been looking at the gtx line, found a 650 2gb and 660 2gb on amazon for $150 and $200. Would I see a substantial upgrade from either of those, or do I need to go higher? My limit next month would be around 300 or so, I've honestly just never upgraded a pc before lol.

You could get a 760 and really see a difference.
Nvidia GTX 960M 4GB
8GB DDR3 Ram
Windows 10 64 Bit
---
Gigabyte H81M
8GB DDR 3 Ram
1TB WD Black