Xenosaga Episode III: Flickering and following shadows at higher resolutions
When rendering Xenosaga Episode III (NTSC-US) at higher resolutions, shadows flicker and follow the player character. This issue does occur at native resolution. I was wondering if there was something I could tweak in the settings to fix this issue.

Version: PCSX2 Nightly - v.1.7.5070

Hardware:
- CPU: i7-4770K
- GPU: GeForce GTX 980
- RAM: 16GB

Changed settings: (otherwise global default)
- Renderer: OpenGL
- Internal Resolution: 3x Native (~ 1080p)

Native resolution:

[Image: 8hV4uZC.png]

3x Native (~ 1080p): (The flickering happens on the white ground surface)

[Image: TADRLJ8.png]

[Image: EFYIe7B.png]

(I've added multiple pictures since the problem is a difficult to see when the game is not in motion)

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored links

Update
After some more searching, I found at that this is apparently a known issue listed on the PCSX2 wiki with the solution being ‘Select OpenGL as the renderer and enable "Disable Safe Features".’ Sadly, this fix seems to be using on option from a deprecated plugin called GSdx. I can't find it in the current settings.

Solution: (from the PCSX2 Discord)
From the game list: Right click on the game > Properties > Graphics (section) > Rendering (tab) > Enable "Manual Hardware Renderer Fixes"

This enables two new tabs: "Hardware Fixes" and "Upscaling Fixes".

In the Hardware Fixes tab: Enable "Disable Safe Features".

When booting up PCSX2, you should see a notification similar to this:

[Image: JoO6TdX.png]

These options correspond to values you need to change in the in the "Hardware Fixes" and "Upscaling Fixes" tab. The dropdown lists use zero index. For example, autoFlush=2 corresponds to value "Enabled (All Primitives)".
Just in case you didn't see this on the discord

if the shadows are flickering at high resolution, we need to know about it, cos disabling safe features shouldn't be a solution, it means we messed up
can you provide a GS dump when the problem happens?
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(10-01-2023, 04:35 PM)refraction Wrote: Just in case you didn't see this on the discord

if the shadows are flickering at high resolution, we need to know about it, cos disabling safe features shouldn't be a solution, it means we messed up
can you provide a GS dump when the problem happens?

Update 2: The issue was fixed by refraction on v.1.7.5070+. Thank you again for your help in the discord!