Xenosaga II slowdowns
Next question - is there an upgrade where I can safely upgrade to W7 without having to reinstall/dl a bunch of stuff (as in format my HDs)?

And thanks for your help everyone.

Edit - After doing a bit of searching it seems a bit kinky to do so, and W7 is expiring in about 2 months... So perhaps I'll wait for the final release of W7.

Sponsored links

(05-24-2009, 09:22 PM)billbrown Wrote: Next question - is there an upgrade where I can safely upgrade to W7 without having to reinstall/dl a bunch of stuff (as in format my HDs)?

And thanks for your help everyone.

Edit - After doing a bit of searching it seems a bit kinky to do so, and W7 is expiring in about 2 months... So perhaps I'll wait for the final release of W7.

You'll be able to use W7 until next March, then it'll start to shut down every 2 hours as a reminder that will expire in a couple months. If you have a big enough hard drive you should create a seperate partition and install 7 on it. It wouldn't be a good idea to upgrade (if you could) since I don't think you'll be able to use the W7 trial once it expires. You'll probably have to buy a official copy then and reinstall everything.
(05-24-2009, 10:51 PM)veggicide Wrote: You'll be able to use W7 until next March, then it'll start to shut down every 2 hours as a reminder that will expire in a couple months. If you have a big enough hard drive you should create a seperate partition and install 7 on it. It wouldn't be a good idea to upgrade (if you could) since I don't think you'll be able to use the W7 trial once it expires. You'll probably have to buy a official copy then and reinstall everything.

Now this sounds interesting. I'm a little aware of how to create partitions and how to install stuff on them, but after that I'm worried about the complications of having two separate OS's on two HDs.

I have two 640gb HDs, one that's about half full with XP and everything else, another that's entirely free. If I were to install W7 on the free one, how would I go about using both OS's, dealing with programs, etc.

Sorry if it seems nitpicky, I just like to have a grasp on details before I try something.
(05-24-2009, 11:39 PM)billbrown Wrote:
(05-24-2009, 10:51 PM)veggicide Wrote: You'll be able to use W7 until next March, then it'll start to shut down every 2 hours as a reminder that will expire in a couple months. If you have a big enough hard drive you should create a seperate partition and install 7 on it. It wouldn't be a good idea to upgrade (if you could) since I don't think you'll be able to use the W7 trial once it expires. You'll probably have to buy a official copy then and reinstall everything.

Now this sounds interesting. I'm a little aware of how to create partitions and how to install stuff on them, but after that I'm worried about the complications of having two separate OS's on two HDs.

I have two 640gb HDs, one that's about half full with XP and everything else, another that's entirely free. If I were to install W7 on the free one, how would I go about using both OS's, dealing with programs, etc.

Sorry if it seems nitpicky, I just like to have a grasp on details before I try something.

It should be easy if you have both drives installed and running. Just install windows 7 to your second drive and it will create a boot manager for you on the primary drive automatically. So when you turn on the computer it will ask everytime which operating system you want to load. Its very easy, and since its on a second hard drive if something does go wrong you can easily fix it.
(05-25-2009, 12:35 AM)veggicide Wrote: It should be easy if you have both drives installed and running. Just install windows 7 to your second drive and it will create a boot manager for you on the primary drive automatically. So when you turn on the computer it will ask everytime which operating system you want to load. Its very easy, and since its on a second hard drive if something does go wrong you can easily fix it.

Alright, I've give this a try, and it sounds quite intuitive.

Thanks for all the help.
(05-25-2009, 12:40 AM)billbrown Wrote:
(05-25-2009, 12:35 AM)veggicide Wrote: It should be easy if you have both drives installed and running. Just install windows 7 to your second drive and it will create a boot manager for you on the primary drive automatically. So when you turn on the computer it will ask everytime which operating system you want to load. Its very easy, and since its on a second hard drive if something does go wrong you can easily fix it.

Alright, I've give this a try, and it sounds quite intuitive.

Thanks for all the help.

No problem, and I found that xenosaga II works pretty good with the latest pcsx2 beta. I had a couple speed hacks enabled before and after I disabled all of the speed hacks the game ran a lot better.
W7 install went very smooth, will be trying out how the game performs tomorrow.
Even using W7, DX10 and the latest pcsx2 beta, it still runs the same as before. 8-12 fps, constant stutter.

Edit - Scratch that, I feel like a dumbass. It doesn't default to DX10. Turned it on, massive difference.

Thanks for all the help everyone.