Xenosaga III slow menus.
Ok I've been messing with this game a lot and I finally have all the 3d running at a reliable 60fps. The only problem remaining is the menus are horridly slow.

Over the course of my testing I tried a lot of different things including finally OC'ing my CPU a considerable amount. None of that seemed to have any effect on the menus which have run at a pretty steady 30fps no matter what.

My current setup is:
E 8500 C2D @ 3.7 Ghz
8 Gigs DDR2 800 ram
Vista 64bit SP2
ATI Radeon 4870

I'm using the beta build + default plugins with gsdx SSE41 in DX10. I unchecked 8-bit textures (was slowing down the game oddly). I also have the res around 1280*1280 but lowering that does nothing.

I've tried all the different speed hacks but nothing seems to affect the menus. I figured this menu thing was a known issue or something but I can't find any info on it at all via my searching.

It's not like it's a huge deal but if anyone knows more info on the issue or if it's possible to fix it that'd be good to know.

Sponsored links

Odd, this is one of the very few games that the 8-bit textures option was designed for... It should be off for 99% of games, but give xenosaga 3 a sizable speed increase.
[Image: 2748844.png]
Make sure you use the latest beta GSdx as it has a fix for slowness on ati cards.
Also make sure you have vsync turned off (the issue sounds like it's that).
(12-05-2009, 09:09 PM)rama Wrote: Make sure you use the latest beta GSdx as it has a fix for slowness on ati cards.
Also make sure you have vsync turned off (the issue sounds like it's that).

Vsync was off. I also tried the latest gsdx release and it wasn't any better. Still getting crazy lag in menus.

The bizzare thing is that if I turn on the software render then suddenly the menus run at full speed.

Do you guys not have this issue when you play it then? Maybe I should do a Gsdx bug report if it's not a common problem.
Around 60fps here when using 4x upscaling, so no, don't need a bug report.
Unless this is some sort of ATI only problem again, which I doubt.
(12-06-2009, 12:07 AM)rama Wrote: Around 60fps here when using 4x upscaling, so no, don't need a bug report.
Unless this is some sort of ATI only problem again, which I doubt.

That's what I was considering actually, that it might be related to the video card/drivers. No matter what res I pick it's the same yet in software rendering it works fine (60 fps easy).

It's not cpu bound so I get the feeling probably gsdx is being forced to wait on some quirky thing the video card is doing that it shouldn't. Maybe even a bug in the ATI drivers. I'd update them but I already have the latest ones.
The menus are slow using "allow 8-bit textures" and using a high internal res but keeps the game running at stable speeds like this, turning 8-bit textures off will make gameplay very bad tho (will keep slowing down after a time until it becomes unplayable at some points).

How much of a slowdown on menus do you mean?
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
Yea that's not mirroring my situation. I've 8 bit textures off and the game runs fine. Even if I use native res it's still insanely slow in menus.

By slow I mean out of menus I've got stable 60fps but as soon as I enter any full screen menu it instantly drops to 30~35 fps. The controls respond very slow and the sounds become distorted due to the slowness.