Xenosaga ep 1 OpenGL HW problem
(12-31-2015, 03:08 PM)anton2k4 Wrote: perhaps it's because of the skylake processor? i recall reading somewhere that there are issues with skylake and pcsx2

It exist only while using software mode...according to the reports

Sponsored links

If you see jumps in clockrate it is either due to dynamic underclocking (intel speedstep, overheating, power saving feature,...) or overclocking (turbo).

You should check which of these is the origin.
SO3 speeds depends on the CRC hack level. You need at least full.

Anyway I was thinking about the speed comparison between "none" and "basic". I would need to check the rendering of the game. Maybe the GPU code is quite taxing or (much likely) it draws lots of triangle with a special fbmask.
I believe both games use a similar stencil routine. In SO3 we have a crc hack for it, XS doesn't have one.
Check the shadows in XS in the 3rd screenshot vs SO3 doing the same with crc hacks disabled.
XS is also pushing many triangles in most of its scenes. It needs a lot of tweaking and most effects disabled to get any speed.
(12-31-2015, 03:38 PM)willkuer Wrote: If you see jumps in clockrate it is either due to dynamic underclocking (intel speedstep, overheating, power saving feature,...) or overclocking (turbo).

You should check which of these is the origin.

my laptop is set at high performance, with min processor state set to 100%, fans at max with cpu temps at a steady 60C, no overclocks done.
weirdly enough, i don't see this issue in ver 1.2.1
(12-31-2015, 03:57 PM)rama Wrote: I believe both games use a similar stencil routine. In SO3 we have a crc hack for it, XS doesn't have one.
Check the shadows in XS in the 3rd screenshot vs SO3 doing the same with crc hacks disabled.
XS is also pushing many triangles in most of its scenes. It needs a lot of tweaking and most effects disabled to get any speed.

i just found it weird that the slowdown is far worse than in my older laptop which was an i5-3230m. in my previous laptop, the slowdown was due to a weaker processor (EE maxed out) while in this slowdown, the EE, GS and other figures didn't even reach 30%
Intel speedstep & intel turbo in bios?
(12-31-2015, 04:15 PM)willkuer Wrote: Intel speedstep & intel turbo in bios?

just took a look at the bios and there was no option to disable it. (clevo laptops are known to have a bois with very sparse options.)

i ran star ocean on another 1.3.1 git which i had in my previous laptop (pcsx2-v1.3.1-1588-g191453d) and the results were interesting. check the pics to compare the fps, ee and gs values between the 2. this was in a single load from the very beginning of the game. i only moved the character from one area of the room to another. 

SO3 uses a special stencil that requires to transfer texture several times. It is killer for performance because you need to wait the transfer. GS will be idle in this time (low %).

I need to check XS. I vaguely remember somethings about a bit mask (accurate blending). Current implement requires to have in-order primitive to implement the effect properly and to flush GPU cache for every access. It is killer if you have more than 100 primitives. Most of the time, bit mask are used with sprite (nearly free with current algo). A couple of games use a hell ***** of triangles.
(12-31-2015, 04:29 PM)gregory Wrote: SO3 uses a special stencil that requires to transfer texture several times. It is killer for performance because you need to wait the transfer. GS will be idle in this time (low %).

I need to check XS. I vaguely remember somethings about a bit mask (accurate blending). Current implement requires to have in-order primitive to implement the effect properly and to flush GPU cache for every access. It is killer if you have more than 100 primitives. Most of the time, bit mask are used with sprite (nearly free with current algo). A couple of games use a hell ***** of triangles.

i assume this affects all 1.3.1 builds then? i tried playing in my other laptop's git build (the same git as my previous post) and the same issue arose. guess i should stay at 1.2.1 for the meantime then?

edit: i'm an idiot, didn't see gregory's post on putting crc to full. now playing SOE at full speed. but yeah, i ran XS1 again and even at crc set to full, if it's in basic it still pretty much slows down. thank you everyone for the tips and suggestions.