Xenosaga ep. 1 has slowdowns on AGWS fights, but plays at perfect 60fps otherwise?
My specs are: 
CPU i5-4430 
GPU GTX 1050 Ti manually overclocked
8GB RAM
2TB HDD
PCSX2 v1.7.0 dev-1285

I followed the wiki's settings to a T, so I'm using OpenGL and all the settings it points to while keeping the rest to default. I put the resolution on 4x (1440p) and it is completely flawless until more than 2 AGWS or big machine-type enemies appear on screen. I tried dropping the resolution down to 1x (native) but the speed is still at 70%, exactly the same as it is in 4x. Changing the backend to D3D11 didn't solve it either, though it went up to 84%. If it isn't a resolution issue, what can I do to improve the speed? EE Cycle skipping set to 1 reports near 99% speed, but in-game is still slow as hell. Any ideas?

Sponsored links

what do the ee% and gs % say when it's slow ?
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(09-27-2021, 09:41 PM)jesalvein Wrote: what do the ee% and gs % say when it's slow ?

EE% ranges from 24% to 42%
GS% ranges from 28% to 48%
VU% ranges from 30% to 47%

these values go up and down within the intervals I listed with the battle scene in the same position, and no input from my part.
Can you try 3x upscaling? Those percentages at a glance seem GPU bottleneck.
(09-27-2021, 11:15 PM)RedDevilus Wrote: Can you try 3x upscaling? Those percentages at a glance seem GPU bottleneck.

I already tried at 1x and the values are roughly the same
Or CPU bottleneck. Xenosaga can be quite intensive and it's STR is around 1800
(09-27-2021, 11:33 PM)jesalvein Wrote: Or CPU bottleneck. Xenosaga can be quite intensive and it's STR is around 1800

You mean my cpu's singlethread mark is 1800, or that xenosaga can need up to 1800? Anyway, if my cpu is the problem and it can't handle AGWS fights at base specs, then I just gotta try to ignore the issue, I guess. Thanks for the replies
you cpu's STR is around 1800 and xenosaga may require around 2000
If you're still trying these changes with EE Cycle Skipping enabled, set it to 0. That setting has no benefit to Xenosaga or any other games which lock their framerate to a static 30 FPS, and all you are doing is thrashing the game engine.
(09-27-2021, 09:28 PM)JoseSuarez Wrote: My specs are: 
CPU i5-4430 
GPU GTX 1050 Ti manually overclocked
8GB RAM
2TB HDD
PCSX2 v1.7.0 dev-1285

I followed the wiki's settings to a T, so I'm using OpenGL and all the settings it points to while keeping the rest to default. I put the resolution on 4x (1440p) and it is completely flawless until more than 2 AGWS or big machine-type enemies appear on screen. I tried dropping the resolution down to 1x (native) but the speed is still at 70%, exactly the same as it is in 4x. Changing the backend to D3D11 didn't solve it either, though it went up to 84%. If it isn't a resolution issue, what can I do to improve the speed? EE Cycle skipping set to 1 reports near 99% speed, but in-game is still slow as hell. Any ideas?

I wrote a pretty extensive test of Xenosaga Episode 3. I went on to play Episode 1 as well, but I didn't write down and post my results here, but pretty similar settings seemed to work. I have a Ryzen 4700 APU with integrated graphics, so I think I have a better CPU than you (probably) but not a better GPU. The Xenosaga series are known for being very CPU-bound. 
Here are a few "highlights" to improve performance from my testing that might help you:
1) Use the Aggressive CRC hack. It removes sepia tone filters from cutscenes, but otherwise, it solves a lot of problems. 
2) Speed hacks generally don't do much but cause glitches. The MTVU multi-threading hack fixed some issues caused by the Aggressive CRC hack for some reason. Using the CD speedup hack seemed to help a little, as well as the wait-loop detection hack. MVU flag hack caused glitches I didn't like. 
3) Don't include anything that doesn't improve the image. Anisotropic Filtering does nothing, this game uses fixed camera angles, so extreme angles aren't shown anyhow. Dithering didn't seem to improve anything. The main thing that improves the image is anti-aliasing, keeping blending accuracy at medium, and keeping mip-mapping. Mostly keep the defaults, just turn off the things that don't make a noticeable difference. 
4) DO NOT use auto-flushing of textures. Big slowdown for me. Disable safe-features. Force-disabling half-screen fix worked for some people but not for me ever. Turn on tri-linear filtering. Set half-pixel offset to "special (texture). Game didn't seem to like edge anti-aliasing on my Intel computer, but it works just fine on my AMD. 
5) For you, checking boxes that shift the load from GPU to CPU might help, since this is a CPU-heavy game. When you hover your cursor over the text for each option, it explains what each option does. 
6) Also, the Xenosaga games are notorious for the memory card function not working. Files get corrupted easily, and if you even try to access the in-game save point, the game will crash completely. The 1.70 development version appears to have mostly fixed this, but make sure you have the most cutting edge development version as these issues seems to have been fixed only this year. I'd recommend using the Save State function integrated into PCSX2 rather than relying on the memory card. If you do want to use in game saves, I noticed that turning off NTFS compression in the PCSX2's memory card menu helped make them more reliable. Even the natively ran game would occasionally corrupt save states, so PCSX2 is emulating a bug, which just makes the bug even buggier. The game when run natively would also show some slowdowns transitioning from one cutscene to another, which PCSX2 does better with but will still sometimes show.