Xenosaga running very slowly on PCSX v1.4.0
(08-24-2017, 02:01 AM)somethingoranother Wrote: Excellent!!! Bumped up my card's performance level to "adaptive" and limited the PCSX2 speed (was hitting 800%+ speed!!!!!!!). Now I'm constantly hitting 100% speed.

Thank you!

There is reason why i keep recommending to people that use "Adaptive" in NVCP to make PCSX2 profiles and set it to  Max Performance, and this is why some time the drivers think it dont need full speed of gpu, same with cpu "speed step" some times  it think pcsx2 dont need full clocks of the cpu, and these arnt problem specifc to pcsx2, it happens in other software and games and random, Which is why I have speedstep disabled via windows power settings and why I have max performance set to global in NVCP.

Power saving setting only useful on tablet/laptops and such devices, on Desktop it pointless no one buy desktop for is "low power" consumption

My recommendation if you on desktop, Make sure windows power is high performance or balanced, in windows 10 both settings by defualt should stop speedstep and core parking from messing with cpu clocks, and keep NVCP global set to max perfomance, anything that used the gpu will put gpu in full clocks, and if nothing is using gpu gpu will drop to idle clock speeds. this way only thing that gona make clock speed jump are boost on the gpu and turbo on cpu

Sponsored links

(08-25-2017, 11:30 PM)tsunami2311 Wrote: Power saving setting only useful on tablet/laptops and such devices, on Desktop it pointless no one buy desktop for is "low power" consumption

My recommendation if you on desktop, Make sure windows power is high performance or balanced, in windows 10 both settings by defualt should stop speedstep and core parking from messing with cpu clocks, and keep NVCP global set to max perfomance, anything that used the gpu will put gpu in full clocks, and if nothing is using gpu gpu will drop to idle clock speeds. this way only thing that gona make clock speed  jump are boost on the gpu and turbo on cpu

It depends on how much you pay for electricity and the thermal setup for your desktop.
On my main system sure I have enough cooling that my 980ti can easily run at max clocks when ever it is loading any game even games where it makes no sense to do so.  On my emulation PC it is a mini ITX setup with limited cooling available due to where it is located so I would not want max GPU for things that do not require max GPU for heat reasons... Though to be fair the 4690k puts out probably more heat then the GT 640 in the emulation PC.  Also lower clocks on games that do not require full clocks reduces fan noise on cards that do not have great cooling fans (*cough founders *cough).

Adaptive does not have the same hair trigger that the "optimal power" setting does and can be a very valid setting for PCSX2 and really most programs that have issues when on the "optimal power" setting.
(08-26-2017, 01:15 AM)TkSilver Wrote: It depends on how much you pay for electricity and the thermal setup for your desktop.
On my main system sure I have enough cooling that my 980ti can easily run at max clocks when ever it is loading any game even games where it makes no sense to do so.  On my emulation PC it is a mini ITX setup with limited cooling available due to where it is located so I would not want max GPU for things that do not require max GPU for heat reasons... Though to be fair the 4690k puts out probably more heat then the GT 640 in the emulation PC.  Also lower clocks on games that do not require full clocks reduces fan noise on cards that do not have great cooling fans (*cough founders *cough).

Adaptive does not have the same hair trigger that the "optimal power" setting does and can be a very valid setting for PCSX2 and really most programs that have issues when on the "optimal power" setting.

Potatoes Potatoes, it preference thing, if electric bill price issue, why would have desktop that  eat electricity instead of laptop? besides if electric bill is issue you have bigger issues then how much  power it pulls.