Yakuza emulation
(04-09-2018, 06:31 AM)TkSilver Wrote: Any internal resolution enhancement over native on Yakuza 1 (and I think 2 if I remember correctly) will cause various visual issues.

The line issue I think will go away or be less noticable if you change the texture filtering to something other then bilinear (forced). Different settings of this and half pixel being the setting I eventually went with.

The line issue does NOT go away unless I disable completely the Half-Pixel offset. Natively, it doesn't seem to appear.

(04-09-2018, 06:31 AM)TkSilver Wrote: Also there are some odd poses in this game that are harder to notice when running on a PS2 and a CRT tv so that one looks pretty legit for this game.

Mmm, I see. It still seems weird to me, but maybe you're right.

Sponsored links

(04-10-2018, 03:22 PM)ConcreteShelter Wrote: The line issue does NOT go away unless I disable completely the Half-Pixel offset. Natively, it doesn't seem to appear.

Yes but you need half pixel offset to fix the ghosting in the in game cutscenes and around town without using skipdraw which introduces whole other issues.  Using other filtering makes the line issue less bad on lower internal resolutions.  Native res might really be the only true fix for this issue, but you seem to prefer higher internal res.
(04-11-2018, 12:06 AM)TkSilver Wrote: Yes but you need half pixel offset to fix the ghosting in the in game cutscenes and around town without using skipdraw which introduces whole other issues.  Using other filtering makes the line issue less bad on lower internal resolutions.  Native res might really be the only true fix for this issue, but you seem to prefer higher internal res.

You are exactly right about the half pixel offset, my bad; however, using other filtering options doesn't improve the situation, the lines are still there and they don't disappear unless I set the game to run at native resolution. Lower internal resolution don't remove the issue.

So, isn't there any way to play this game at HD resolutions without glitches? (the weird transparency bug I showed in the video was still present)
Not really, this is a game of compromises. Short of Sega releasing 1 and 2 HD remaster for the PC probably not. Some games handle increases to internal resolution really well and some are just made in a way that things just kinda break here and there.

You can either have proper-ish graphics but you will be limited in graphical enhancements that can use, or you enhance and pick what combination of settings gives you glitches you can live with and still enjoy the game. I did 2x resolution since it cleaned up the game a lot over native, with half pixel ofset and I messed the the filtering to make the lines less noticeable unless I was looking for them and I was able to enjoy the game from start to finish better then on my PS2 where I got a game breaking bug that froze the game right before the final confrontation.
I beat Yakuza 2 late last year on pcsx2. You either use skipdraw and do without the fancy framebuffer fx, which doesn't break the game at all, or turn it off and just accept the weird overbloom everywhere.
(04-11-2018, 12:31 PM)NarooN Wrote: I beat Yakuza 2 late last year on pcsx2. You either use skipdraw and do without the fancy framebuffer fx, which doesn't break the game at all, or turn it off and just accept the weird overbloom everywhere.

This is how it looks with alpha and skipdraw to 1. It's not too bad, I guess I could play it like this, however the lines in the middle of the screen really bother me, and I can't seem to remove them.

Also, do you remember having some sort of input lag in the game? It's the only game where I get this kind of input lag.
(04-11-2018, 08:13 AM)TkSilver Wrote: Not really, this is a game of compromises.  Short of Sega releasing 1 and 2 HD remaster for the PC probably not.  Some games handle increases to internal resolution really well and some are just made in a way that things just kinda break here and there.

You can either have proper-ish graphics but you will be limited in graphical enhancements that can use, or you enhance and pick what combination of settings gives you glitches you can live with and still enjoy the game.  I did 2x resolution since it cleaned up the game a lot over native, with half pixel ofset and I messed the the filtering to make the lines less noticeable unless I was looking for them and I was able to enjoy the game from start to finish better then on my PS2 where I got a game breaking bug that froze the game right before the final confrontation.

If you're interested, I made a petition to ask SEGA to port the game on PC. They already said they were interested in this interview

https://www.pcgamer.com/yakuza-and-perso...ing-to-pc/

so maybe a petition could be a little incentive

https://www.change.org/p/sega-to-sega-pl...lang=en-GB

We are almost at 100 signatures
I didn't have the weird lines issue and didn't notice any input lag, but then again maybe the game inherently has some? How many ms of lag do you get, if you can give a rough estimate?

I do hope SEGA ports the series to PC, as they did hint at it several times and they already brought some of their other games to PC in recent years. Most likely they would port over Kiwami 1 & 2 rather than the original ones.
(04-12-2018, 02:15 PM)NarooN Wrote: I didn't have the weird lines issue and didn't notice any input lag, but then again maybe the game inherently has some? How many ms of lag do you get, if you can give a rough estimate?

I do hope SEGA ports the series to PC, as they did hint at it several times and they already brought some of their other games to PC in recent years. Most likely they would port over Kiwami 1 & 2 rather than the original ones.

A third of a second, I guess, but you're probably right. It's very noticeable in menus, and it's the only game in which it happens.

The line issue is reported in the wiki too, although they don't disappear no matter what kind of filtering I set.

Let's hope for a port of the newer Yakuza games, SEGA is paying much more attention to the PC market now. I tried sharing the petition on the facebook pages but I mostly get insults just for posting the petition link.