Yes, you can speed up your toaster
quite true.. The things I usually do..
disable all unused services
usually do a clean install, but yes, remove bloatware
disable un-needed applications from starting at bootup
I also run pcsx2 from a clean boot vs. after been running for a bit when I run on lower power systems..
amd tr 1950x                                                 amd ryzen 5 2500u
asrock x399 taichi                                         amd vega 8 
XFX Radeon rx570                                       16gb ddr 4 2400 ram
32gb gskill ddr4-3200                                   1tb nvme ssd
Debian Bullseye                                           480gb sata ssd
Custom loop water cooled                           HP envy x360
nzxt 340 case

Sponsored links

(12-31-2017, 02:38 AM)Kian Stevens Wrote: Smartstrike was talking about semantics. S/he doesn't literally mean that laptops are also victims of Apple's plan. S/he's just saying that ageing machines will have poorer performance. 
Apple underclock older phones to increase battery life, great. They didn't do it as a sneaky little secret just for somebody to discover it. They did it for a reason and I agree with their logic. They could've easily made much more money on killing off old phones and forcing people to buy the newest ones, but they didn't. Good move, Apple.
As software becomes increasingly more resource intensive, older hardware just starts to become less effective. Coming back to Smartstrike's comment... Ageing machines do have poorer performance and one example is with Apple.

1st, killing older will result in a bigger customers' "revolution" and they'd be force to put sales on their products instead of just bettery, or even free warranty which on both sides they will lose, 2nd yes, apple didn't mention about this slowdown issue until somebody discovered it on a geekbench test and eventually became viral, that wasn't appropriate and all people agree that they've  done it in a way of some sort of "secrecy" except (of course) apple sheep Tongue , and trust i've been working and digging in smartphone category for almost 5 years, and all what apple is money, just money, and they would do anything just to squeeze out money from more customers, I may sound like an apple hater but this is a fact that even if anybody denies it still exists.....they can just announce an update for such issue, warning people what's happening before they discover it already, avoiding battery sales but no,they've had to apologize (oh poor apple) and make battery sales for Christmas yaaaay!
Apple follows a tricky rule
Good Marketing+ Absent-minded customer=$$$$
I'm not saying that underclocking cpu for more battery is wrong don't get me wrong, but it's "Apple's way" of doing such stuff
and i know smatstrike mentioned it just an example and i intended to focus on it just to clarify such issue....

(12-31-2017, 02:36 AM)scythefwd Wrote: I take it you're not in the IT administration field as a profession.  I'm frequently going in and ripping out remnants of software (java usually) that trips up my security scanners by showing an old version is still installed because the upgrader or uninstall package didn't clean up the registry.  In theory, yes, it should be mostly self managed (we'll ignore most local and group policy is actually just reg hacks done from a gui).. in practice, there are some shoddy coders out there who half-a the uninstalls.

very true

01010010011010010110010001100001☯
(12-31-2017, 02:54 AM)scythefwd Wrote: quite true.. The things I usually do..
disable all unused services
usually do a clean install, but yes, remove bloatware
disable un-needed applications from starting at bootup
I also run pcsx2 from a clean boot vs. after been running for a bit when I run on lower power systems..

that's what i really do, and it helps me out , glad you got it Smile

(12-31-2017, 02:54 AM)X_Grave_X Wrote: 1st, killing older will result in a bigger customers' "revolution" and they'd be force to put sales on their products instead of just bettery, or even free warranty which on both sides they will lose, 2nd yes, apple didn't mention about this slowdown issue until somebody discovered it on a geekbench test and eventually became viral, that wasn't appropriate and all people agree that they've  done it in a way of some sort of "secrecy" except (of course) apple sheep Tongue , and trust i've been working and digging in smartphone category for almost 5 years, and all what apple is money, just money, and they would do anything just to squeeze out money from more customers, I may sound like an apple hater but this is a fact that even if anybody denies it still exists.....they can just announce an update for such issue, warning people what's happening before they discover it already, avoiding battery sales but no,they've had to apologize (oh poor apple) and make battery sales for Christmas yaaaay!
Apple follows a tricky rule
Good Marketing+ Absent-minded customer=$$$$
I'm not saying that underclocking cpu for more battery is wrong don't get me wrong, but it's "Apple's way" of doing such stuff
and i know smatstrike mentioned it just an example and i intended to focus on it just to clarify such issue....

I can't really say much since I'm 17, but considering your profile says you're 16... You've been working on smartphones since you were 11? Good on ya' dude.

I own a Google Pixel, have always had a Windows machine and have never owned an Apple product. I'm no way an Apple sheep if that's what you were insinuating. I just think their logic on increasing battery life by compromising performance is pretty good.
I don't disagree with you on Apple being all about money though, because they release overpriced s**t all the time. But you're making a huge song and dance about Apple making battery sales etc. due to them underclocking phones... And then in the next breath you say underclocking phones isn't a bad thing. Hmm. Okay.
Intel i5 4460 @ 3.20 GHz,
GTX 1050 Ti,
8GB RAM,
And some other gubbins that make things work.
(12-31-2017, 03:10 AM)Kian Stevens Wrote: I can't really say much since I'm 17, but considering your profile says you're 16... You've been working on smartphones since you were 11? Good on ya' dude.

I own a Google Pixel, have always had a Windows machine and have never owned an Apple product. I'm no way an Apple sheep if that's what you were insinuating. I just think their logic on increasing battery life by compromising performance is pretty good.
I don't disagree with you on Apple being all about money though, because they release overpriced s**t all the time. But you're making a huge song and dance about Apple making battery sales etc. due to them underclocking phones... And then in the next breath you say underclocking phones isn't a bad thing. Hmm. Okay.

like i really understand you. " a 16 years old boy telling me that he digs in smartphones fro almost 5 years, addressing that underclocking for better battery life logic but at the same time useless!" man i would never believe myself Tongue
in a way underclocking for better battery life is logical "generally speaking", but when "apple" "specifically speaking" underclocks older handsets, and then apologizes by making battery sales (lol) MAN THAT'S NOT 100% logical do you get me know?
MANS NOT HOT I SAY MANS NOT HOT
YU DUN KNUW Tongue

(12-31-2017, 03:24 AM)X_Grave_X Wrote: like i really understand you. " a 16 years old boy telling me that he digs in smartphones fro almost 5 years, addressing that underclocking for better battery life logic but at the same time useless!" man i would never believe myself Tongue
in a way underclocking for better battery life is logical "generally speaking", but when "apple" "specifically speaking" underclocks older handsets, and then apologizes by making battery sales (lol) MAN THAT'S NOT 100% logical do you get me know?
MANS NOT HOT I SAY MANS NOT HOT
YU DUN KNUW Tongue

Please do not use the 'man's not hot' 'meme'. England is an embarrassment because of it. I feel like a complete idiot living in a country this embarrassing.

Apple shouldn't have to apologise for trying to assist a worldwide bunch of customers that complain about battery life. They took a step to try and improve battery life, and it worked. People have the choice to buy a new battery to regain peak handset performance. And the issue...?
GTX 1050 Ti,
8GB RAM,
(12-31-2017, 03:28 AM)Kian Stevens Wrote: Please do not use the 'man's not hot' 'meme'. England is an embarrassment because of it. I feel like a complete idiot living in a country this embarrassing.

Apple shouldn't have to apologise for trying to assist a worldwide bunch of customers that complain about battery life. They took a step to try and improve battery life, and it worked. People have the choice to buy a new battery to regain peak handset performance. And the issue...?

woow wowow, i wasn't intending any kind of harm or racism really, but I always mock that absent-minded guy his simplicity of his mind makes me laugh Tongue 
emmmmm, apple apologized because they did it without any warning and didn't expect such "outcome", and again, if they announced an updated and warned what they will do none of that would happen, or am I wrong??

(12-31-2017, 03:46 AM)X_Grave_X Wrote: woow wowow, i wasn't intending any kind of harm or racism really, but I always mock that absent-minded guy his simplicity of his mind makes me laugh Tongue 
emmmmm, apple apologized because they did it without any warning and didn't expect such "outcome", and again, if they announced an updated and warned what they will do none of that would happen, or am I wrong??

Nah, no harm done. I was joking in my message anyway, I guess I didn't express it clearly Tongue

Apple shouldn't need to warn people or apologise to them in my opinion. If it was the other way around, and Apple were overclocking phones and making performance better, there'd be lots of praise from these benchmarking websites etc. Underclocking phones to mitigate problems is a good idea and should just be kept behind the scenes - if guys want to go and figure out what Apple's doing then let them, but Apple shouldn't need to apologise for it.
GTX 1050 Ti,
8GB RAM,
(12-31-2017, 03:50 AM)Kian Stevens Wrote: Nah, no harm done. I was joking in my message anyway, I guess I didn't express it clearly Tongue

Apple shouldn't need to warn people or apologise to them, in my opinion. If it was the other way around, and Apple were overclocking phones and making performance better, there'd be lots of praise from these benchmarking websites etc. Underclocking phones to mitigate problems is a good idea and should just be kept behind the scenes - if guys want to go and figure out what Apple's doing then let them, but Apple shouldn't need to apologise for it.

I'm okay with what you say, but apple releases an update log for every update, they can just say "fixes battery life issues or improved battery life" and all that hype would be gone you get me? you have a smartphone, and you see an update notification, you say "oh here's an update, let's install to improve my desired smartphone", you installed it and noticed that your is really laggy and then you started cursing the time you updated the phone, you browsed the web and discovered that apple intended to do it, in that case, you don't feel in control of you smartphone, you feel like you're tricked, but then apple apologizes saying we should have announced that before and the customer is now satisfied and won't  get angry and buy another phone, leaving apple...Like i said, customers are the base of every manufacturing company, and that's why phone manufacturers care about their customers to enure that their sales won't be reduced it's a simple policy. they underclocked the cpu fine, it's 100% logical, but in the way that apple done is not totally logical, I'm concentrating on the way they've done it was kinda kinda spooky for everyone and akward ideas aroused saying that apple if forcing you to buy a new phone, because of that customer care we mentioned apple apologized and made sales on batteries to protect their reputation and sales..not every customer on earth is just like you, noticing that the phone got slower and they'd just say " meh, they underclocked the cpu to boost the battery life, yaaay apple!" most of the customers fon't know what underclocking even means...you get me know?

my old i7 laptop(HP pavillion i7-820(clarksfield),HD5650) maybe toasted and kinda aged....there are "notorius" and tons of junked factory installed HP apps that you cannot remove/uninstall and always at 80C when idling the laptop.....cannot go windows update due to divine errors after the update....thermal shutdown is frequent...thus it let me buy another laptop thats $$$ same as apple and they want to buy iphone X....having a laptop is looks like a scam tactics and it's prefrerly it's a trap.....and norton on laptops beware!!.
Main PC1:i5-4670,HD7770(Active!)
Main PC2:i5-11600K,GTX1660Ti(Active!)
PCSX2 Discord server IGN:smartstrike
PCSX2 version uses:Custom compiled build 1.7.0 64-bit(to be update regularly)
smartstk's YouTube Channel