Your FFXII settings, setup & performance
Hello all,

I'm new to the PCSX2 scene, I'm sure FFXII settings have been requested many times on this board, but from what I read so far it seems every configuration could perform very differently depending on on your hardware.

I tried searching but didn't see an updated topic for posting exclusively about FFXII settings and performance results, specially now that 0.9.8 has been released.

Anyway, I was hoping this topic would be a good place to see various configuration setups for different PC hardwares and of course the results.

Please post as much info as possible about your PCSX2 configurations (including used plug-ins), your PC's hardware (if you can't list everything, at least mention the CPU, GPU & RAM) and the results in average FPS (screenshots and videos would be awesome too).

Sponsored links

FF12 Undub using PCSX2 version 0.9.8.r4600

Watch it in full screen in 720p!

Watch it in full screen in 720p!

Computer specs are in the video description.

As far as the emulation settings are concerned, I used all of the recommended (bolded) options. For plugins, I used GSDX SSE4.1, D3D 11 hardware rendering, 2x scaling, and all Hardware Mode Settings activated.

The game hasn't stuttered at all during normal play (stutters slightly when recording in 720p).
It runs all 60 FPS here in most scenes.

Core2Duo E7500 @ 2.93Ghz
9400GT
4Gb DDR2

All default settings (SPU2-X, GSDxSSE4 @ DX9, internal res at 1100x900) and only a EE speedhack at level 1 enabled.
I rarely get stuttering ingame.
Yes, lemons can be batteries. Ninja
Thank you both for replying, what's considered as a good part in the game to run tests on that are known to drop FPS on weaker systems? (whether in-game cutscene, FMV or gameplay).

Also, would you consider FFXII a CPU or GPU intensive game?

I'll update my main post later with my results and full PC specs, I only have a i7 930 @ stock settings and temp GT220 GPU with 6GB DDR3 RAM and things don't look too bad so far for such a weak GPU compared to what's out there today (60fps with default settings, still learning how to tweak stuff in PCSX2 and I'm sure the FPS will drop a lot when I improve the PQ ).
(05-24-2011, 06:48 AM)MetallicA Wrote: Thank you both for replying, what's considered as a good part in the game to run tests on that are known to drop FPS on weaker systems? (whether in-game cutscene, FMV or gameplay).

I've actually done a bit of testing on various machines on this game because this game was the reason I starting using PCSX2.

From what I've seen, a decent test is to select "New Game" from the start menu and see how well your system can handle rendering the background of the menu that follows. You can also try downloading a save and using the Quickenings from various characters. I found Basch's Flame Purge (level 3 quickening) to be one of the more CPU/GPU stressful ones.

To see how well your system can handle a high number of character models, you can go to the Nomad Village in Giza Plains, enter the cockatrice corral, and pan the camera around a bit. Try to get as many models on screen at the same time.

(05-24-2011, 06:48 AM)MetallicA Wrote: Also, would you consider FFXII a CPU or GPU intensive game?

I'd say it's about even for the most part. The only low-end GPU's I've tested are integrated Nvidia chipsets (I didn't even bother with Intel GMAs). C2Ds with decent frequencies (2.5GHz+) handle the game comfortably with speedhacks.

Your setup might stutter at some points in the game, but they'll be rare and you probably won't notice them very much.
Thanks for the bench tips =) I've got lots of FFXII save files on my 1st gen BC PS3, will try to transfer 'em to my PC (should be possible to convert 'em to PCSX2 save format from what I read) then check out the parts and quickening you mentioned.

As for my setup, I've already got a Noctua D14 cooler which hopefully will help me overclock the i7 930 to 4+Ghz. The GPU is temporarily as I'm looking to upgrade to a high end GPU, I'm torn between getting the GTX 580 now or wait for the next best single GPU, which there's no info about whether there will ever be one or not =( (I prefer to stay away from dual GPU cards like the GTX 590). Am I getting my hopes up thinking such setup would be able to handle running FFXII @1080p 60FPS fully stable?

As for the time being, I can run the game at good resolutions (PCSX2 upscaling will probably make me sell my BC PS3 which I use exclusively for PS2 games, it's not even funny how much better this looks compared to PS3 "upscaling" of PS2 games, it's literally like going from SD to HD). Anyway, when I run the game mostly with default settings (except SSE4) and resolution around 720p, the FPS is stable at 60 FPS but I can see there's slight stutter in the background when I'm moving around in areas which doesn't happen when I'm playing on the PS2 directly, it's like there's very slight loading as I'm walking or something, is this a normal side-effect of emulated PS2 gaming on the PC? I'm running from my game's ISO not disc, fully ripped via dvd decrypter.

(05-24-2011, 05:13 PM)MetallicA Wrote: As for my setup, I've already got a Noctua D14 cooler which hopefully will help me overclock the i7 930 to 4+Ghz. The GPU is temporarily as I'm looking to upgrade to a high end GPU, I'm torn between getting the GTX 580 now or wait for the next best single GPU, which there's no info about whether there will ever be one or not =( (I prefer to stay away from dual GPU cards like the GTX 590). Am I getting my hopes up thinking such setup would be able to handle running FFXII @1080p 60FPS fully stable?

Not at all. A GTX460 can handle FF12 in 1080p at native res (2x scaling is another matter).

If you're leaning toward a GTX580, I'd suggest taking a look at the EVGA GTX460 2win card. It puts two GTX460 CPUs in SLI on one PCB, will work even if your game/program doesn't support SLI (SLI is handled internally on the card itself), has performance comparable to a GTX580, and it costs about $100 USD less. From what I've read, it overclocks quite well. Its only downside is the fact that you can't SLI it with another 2win card. Definitely worth a look if you're considering a 580 but don't plan on getting another one for SLI in the future.

(05-24-2011, 05:13 PM)MetallicA Wrote: Anyway, when I run the game mostly with default settings (except SSE4) and resolution around 720p, the FPS is stable at 60 FPS but I can see there's slight stutter in the background when I'm moving around in areas which doesn't happen when I'm playing on the PS2 directly, it's like there's very slight loading as I'm walking or something, is this a normal side-effect of emulated PS2 gaming on the PC? I'm running from my game's ISO not disc, fully ripped via dvd decrypter.

Everything should look and move smoothly as if it were running natively on a PS2. Are you using speedhacks? Have you tried using another DX version for rendering?
Hmm you sure it will work with programs that don't support SLI? The way I read it (and the reviews on the card) is that it simply handles the SLI connection on the board, but it doesn't mention anything about it reading as a single GPU or that it gets around problems with SLI cards. PCSX2 doesn't like crossfire or SLI so that line is an important one to be extra certain of.

That said, even if it does, it's not likely to get much more performance since the main limiting factor in PCSX2 (if your card supports the right features) is memory bandwidth, running a card in SLI doesn't increase memory bandwidth any Wink
[Image: 2748844.png]
Graphic cards with dual GPUs have always had the same problem as SLI solutions, with that card you won't need a SLI mobo or extra slot but if the game/app you're trying to run doesn't support SLI it'll be just as good as having a single GTX 460.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
(05-24-2011, 11:30 PM)Shadow Lady Wrote: Graphic cards with dual GPUs have always had the same problem as SLI solutions, with that card you won't need a SLI mobo or extra slot but if the game/app you're trying to run doesn't support SLI it'll be just as good as having a single GTX 460.

I remember reading that games would see the card as a single GPU (on tomshardware or the evga forums, I don't really remember) and utilize both processors.

I'm not going to rule out the possibility that I'm wrong, though. I'll do some digging around.