a couple of questions from an emulation noob, GOW series mainly
Hi there,

so i am fairly new to emulation, and all the experience i have was a couple of runs with the Doplphine emulator, mainly to see if it looks any better than my wii..

anyway, now i played GOW1 on PCSX2 1.0.0 and it's a great game..and i have a couple of questions on that matter.

1) since i borrowed the bios/disc from a friend (he's a heavy PS gamer, i am an xbox guy myself) i don't know how this game looks on the original PS2 to begin with, but me and my friend are debating over weather this game looks better on PC or PS2..i have it running at 60FPS with 16x AA and it looks kind of cool (the reason i am saying "kind of" is because of the dated graphics of course), be he insists that it looks better at his PS2.

i would like to know if it's possible, since i can't see any comparison between my Gaming rig and his puny PS2 harware Tongue

i would have uploaded a gameplay vid for you guys to judge, and that leads us to number 2 ...

2) PCSX2 doesn't seem to like fraps much, whenever i run it, i don't just get frame drop to 31..but also the picture is blurred in a very weird way!..the problem is, i've seen youtube vids (with much less Rigs) running way better than mine with fpas on (of course)..i tried setting affinity since PCSX2 runs dual core only, but still..i think it's a glitch or soemthing

{{my Rig Specs will be listed below}}

3) in GOW2, i read online that there is a hidden HD mode, but will have to hold certain buttons while booting the PS2 up..how will i do that with emulator?!..is there an option for it?

finally, sorry if any of the questions here have been answered before, it's just that i want to direct my friend to this thread for an answer to all our questions in one place..and thanks for the awesome emulation job Laugh

SPECS:
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k ivy bridge, running @ 4.3GHz OCed
GPU: Nvidia Gainward GTX 670 2Gb Gddr5
RAM: GSkill 8Gb @ 1845

Sponsored links

Quote: 3) in GOW2, i read online that there is a hidden HD mode, but will have to hold certain buttons while booting the PS2 up..how will i do that with emulator?!..is there an option for it?

No, that refers to the progressive display mode.
(08-13-2012, 10:07 AM)handakes Wrote: Hi there,

so i am fairly new to emulation, and all the experience i have was a couple of runs with the Doplphine emulator, mainly to see if it looks any better than my wii..

anyway, now i played GOW1 on PCSX2 1.0.0 and it's a great game..and i have a couple of questions on that matter.

1) since i borrowed the bios/disc from a friend (he's a heavy PS gamer, i am an xbox guy myself) i don't know how this game looks on the original PS2 to begin with, but me and my friend are debating over weather this game looks better on PC or PS2..i have it running at 60FPS with 16x AA and it looks kind of cool (the reason i am saying "kind of" is because of the dated graphics of course), be he insists that it looks better at his PS2.

i would like to know if it's possible, since i can't see any comparison between my Gaming rig and his puny PS2 harware Tongue

i would have uploaded a gameplay vid for you guys to judge, and that leads us to number 2 ...

2) PCSX2 doesn't seem to like fraps much, whenever i run it, i don't just get frame drop to 31..but also the picture is blurred in a very weird way!..the problem is, i've seen youtube vids (with much less Rigs) running way better than mine with fpas on (of course)..i tried setting affinity since PCSX2 runs dual core only, but still..i think it's a glitch or soemthing

{{my Rig Specs will be listed below}}

3) in GOW2, i read online that there is a hidden HD mode, but will have to hold certain buttons while booting the PS2 up..how will i do that with emulator?!..is there an option for it?

finally, sorry if any of the questions here have been answered before, it's just that i want to direct my friend to this thread for an answer to all our questions in one place..and thanks for the awesome emulation job Laugh

SPECS:
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k ivy bridge, running @ 4.3GHz OCed
GPU: Nvidia Gainward GTX 670 2Gb Gddr5
RAM: GSkill 8Gb @ 1845

2) well Fraps use resources that PCSX2 is using too Duh ! Laugh
and PCSX2 have a built in recording which shows the video full speed don't believe that Wink ( well get slowdowns while recording too )

1) i don't think borrowing a BIOS from a friend is a legal however

the game on PS2 looks good on CRT TV's because their res is so low while on LCDs it will look as stink as on PCSX2 on native

and in a way who PC works he processes the Graphics more accurately bringing up the ugliness Wink
No change in PCSX2 vs PS2 graphics:
- texture quality and polycount still stink with 10 years old quality;P,

+ for PCSX2
- Higher geometry res which makes it a bit sharper,

+ for PS2
- properly working post processing effects which add alot of beauty and deepth.

Yeah in many games postprocessing effects are buggy or too buggy and soo removed often it's removed only couse it get buggy with upscaling while working in native and in many situations that's a bigger loss than higher geometry res can add;].

As GOW series has many bugs with postprocessing I would say both of you are right(or wrong;P as it's still a sucking 10 year old graphic quality and the game surely isn't fun cause of it's graphic;]).
Also there Kratos does not have shadow when playing on emu (at least with Gsdx plugin). But appart from that i dont see any other differences using latest emu and plugins from original game.
(08-13-2012, 10:13 AM)Squall Leonhart Wrote: No, that refers to the progressive display mode.

don't quite get what you are saying, is this an option in the emulator?

here's what i am talking about..

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/161...-revealed/#

and my friend is not using his PS2 anymore..so borrowing his bios is like borrowing his PS2 altogether, i guess Laugh

and thanks, great community you guys have here..
That's not really hidden, several games have it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pl...HD_support
[Image: newsig.jpg]
(08-13-2012, 12:08 PM)Bositman Wrote: That's not really hidden, several games have it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pl...HD_support

ahm, i still have my question hanging..there is no way for this to be done over the emulator then, right?

will it even matter, i am running @ 1920x1080 anyways..

pardon me guys, i already fired up the "Noob Detected" alarm when i got here though Laugh
Uh why not? You just press triangle and X as you would on the PS2....obviously using Boot CDVD (full)
[Image: newsig.jpg]
^great Laugh...and yeah, i just found out that i am already using it on GOW 1, since it's available in the options menue to start with Smile...

i think it does not matter much though, and i think it makes it run @ 480p instead of 567ish ?