any news about directx12 and/or vulkan
people seem to underestimate the power of API. I haven't seen many people talk about it here and i haven't seen any real answer from those who did.
are there any plans to add dx12 or Vulkan? I believe there is no reason not to.

Sponsored links

Quote:I believe there is no reason not to
The simple question is : what would it bring to pcsx2 ? How would it be useful ?
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
DX12 or Vulkan won't do much, PCSX2 is heavily based around how powerful your CPU is. You can have a potato gpu and still run games well with a good cpu. The big difference now between D3D and OGL is basically accuracy and which gpu you have. Getting a new API won't really help here like it does in something like RPCS3, Cemu or Yuzu.
-PC Specs-
AMD Ryzen 3600
16gb DDR4 Corsair 3200mhz
MSI Armor Radeon RX580 8gb 
Windows 10 Pro x64 
-Laptop Specs-
i7 6700HQ @ 2.9Ghz
8gb DDR3 
GTX 960m 4GB
Windows 10 Pro x64
(03-31-2021, 06:04 AM)jesalvein Wrote: The simple question is : what would it bring to pcsx2 ? How would it be useful ?

First off lets talk about what Benefits the newer APIs bring to the table:
they uses the CPU more efficiently, therefor the frame rate will drop much less.
the load is more evenly distributed across all cores, thus better performance and better Minimum fps.
these new APIs will be especially good on emulators like pcsx2 because it heavily relies on CPU. look at the performance improvement that dolphin emulator gained when using DirectX 12 or Vulkan.
also keep in mind that Vulkan is a successor to OpenGL. It was made to make OpenGL games a lot better. so why not replace OpenGL with Vulkan or just add both?
obviously the better API is DirectX 12 as it is more mature because it was made by a very big tech company. but Vulkan can support all major operating systems while dx12 only supports windows 10.
now i know a ps2 emulator doesn't need all of that but why not? every performance gain is welcome no mater where it is. It's basically following the quote "if it ain't broke don't fix it" but in the world of business, this quote is a total blather and is so wrong. Its not really about fixing something but improving something.
(03-31-2021, 08:51 AM)Zangetsu21 Wrote: DX12 or Vulkan won't do much, PCSX2 is heavily based around how powerful your CPU is. You can have a potato gpu and still run games well with a good cpu. The big difference now between D3D and OGL is basically accuracy and which gpu you have. Getting a new API won't really help here like it does in something like RPCS3, Cemu or Yuzu.

And you said it. I don't think you know what APIs are.
these new APIs will be especially good for pcsx2 Because it relies more on the CPU. Read my first reply to know why.
(03-31-2021, 05:17 PM)Obeid Wrote: also keep in mind that Vulkan is a successor to OpenGL. It was made to make OpenGL games a lot better. so why not replace OpenGL with Vulkan or just add both?

Well one reason, AMD decided not to support one of the extensions in Vulkan that we need to make things work without too much hassle.

As for the performance boost you're expecting, I don't think you're gonna get that. Driver overhead isn't much of a problem with PCSX2, it's more the fact we can't parallelise a lot of processing, which causes GPU's to run slowly.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]