automatically goes windowed mode
this is weird, but every now and then PCSX2 forces itself back into a window, then I have to alt+enter to get back into full screen. It seems like it almost does this at scheduled intervals, on average it'll suddenly force into window mode 2-3 times during my normal sessions of PCSX2.

anyone else have these problems? I didn't notice anything about it when I searched the forums.

Sponsored links

PC specs? PCSX2 version? PCSX2 settings? plugin settings?

Try the latest beta if you aren't already.
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-PCSX2-off...ta-plugins
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
yes, thanks, i avoided the beta because that was the first thing I downloaded and I guess i didn't know what I was doing yet, so it wouldn't work. now that i've tried it again, it looks like it fixed the problem, so thanks for mentioning the 0.9.7 beta.

a little off topic, but i have to ask, do games run faster on iso? I'm curious because i tried FFXII today and am surprised that so far its been 100% smooth with not even the slightest hint of slowdown. Even if very little, i have noticed FPS drops in some of my other games, and was runnning them off dvd backups.
Yeah it's usually better to run from ISO to reduce reading times. Some games that tend to constantly read data off the disc can also get good speed ups from this.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
(10-19-2010, 08:56 PM)Bositman Wrote: Yeah it's usually better to run from ISO to reduce reading times. Some games that tend to constantly read data off the disc can also get good speed ups from this.

Do you know if the PS2 CDVD drive has a particularly large/optimised cache? I've noticed that when playing FFX on PCSX2 it pauses while the disc seeks/reads quite often whereas on my PS2 the only time when it seems to need to seek is on the black loading screen between areas.
Specs in Profile
Yeah, I think CDVD plugins to have a cache but as you saw they don't play well with PS2 games making the dvdrom speed up and down constantly reading sectors. Not sure what's the problem there...
[Image: newsig.jpg]
The PS2 DVD drive never totally spins down when a game is running.
In addition to that it'll have read strategies that are optimized for constantly
loading game files.
Most CDVD plugins are missing these optimizations, thus even small transfers
can take too long to complete > the game stalls.
(10-19-2010, 10:08 PM)rama Wrote: The PS2 DVD drive never totally spins down when a game is running.
In addition to that it'll have read strategies that are optimized for constantly loading game files.

This, even with better plugins the main problem is actually the average DVD reader for computers, I've heard there are some very few drives that are actually good at constant reading of files without stalling the transfers and would be optimal for playing the games from their discs but never really looked into which ones.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
no wonder why I prefer no-cd hacks lol

on another note.. if you ever pull a cDVD out of a ps2 usually the sound stops, other parts continue, a computer caches all of that at once, thus makes for some annoying load times at times. this is not somehting that is easily fixed, thus ISO is and will always be the best way to use pcsx2
thanks again, this is interesting and i suspected it was something like that, since you can really 'hear' how the actual ps2 drive operates differently.

I wasn't sure because at times in PCSX2, the game will completely freeze for a second or two and with the sound I hear its completely obvious this is because the disc is reading, which doesn't really bother me because it isn't very often. now i'll build an iso and check to see if this eliminates the actual fps drops that happen more often at specific points.