backwards compatability
well i know ps3 was launch was full hw fo BC later it was half and half/software, then nothing, sony did the bare minum to get them to work, then when they fiqure out to do it software wise was to much work and dropped it all together.

Sponsored links

So isn't PSone already partially emulated on PCSX2 since PCSX2 already has a dynamic recompiler for the IOP?
Some stuff is still missing. I would guess that for psOne compatibility you would need some functions that are not used by other games. Therefore nobody was disturbed so far. I think sound of psOne games is playing just fine but the GS output is not working.

So: Yes it is partially emulated but not playable.
(07-13-2015, 08:20 PM)tsunami2311 Wrote: ps2 emulation on ps3 was no different. and when they switch to software and remove the original parts they ran into issue there for droped bc? ps1 at this point was easy to do software wise even on ps2?

PS2 emulation works on display mode/debug mode PS3s, the functions are just locked out via software. Also they run fine, it was decided to lock out the PS1/PS2 emulation for profit, not for it not working. my brother has an 80gb SW emulated PS3 and there are no issues with the PS2 emulation TO THIS DAY. It has gotten better, in fact. When they put out PS2 classics it was a clear indication they were still working on the emulation and just choose to lock it away behind signed eboots (Eboots are PSP/PS3 "exe files")
(07-14-2015, 03:24 PM)Saiki Wrote: PS2 emulation works on display mode/debug mode PS3s, the functions are just locked out via software. Also they run fine, it was decided to lock out the PS1/PS2 emulation for profit, not for it not working. my brother has an 80gb SW emulated PS3 and there are no issues with the PS2 emulation TO THIS DAY. It has gotten better, in fact. When they put out PS2 classics it was a clear indication they were still working on the emulation and just choose to lock it away behind signed eboots (Eboots are PSP/PS3 "exe files")

it was locked out on older/launch systems, later system is was removed. also didnt say they didnt run fine i said they did the bare minimum to get to work, games made for ps2 where made for CRT not HDTV there for they looked like trash on hdtv, which why they needed to to atlest render the games at higher res (720p)and not upscale.

Just like the ps2 classic psone classic all look like trash on htdv most people dont have crt anymore there for render the game at atlest 720p is minium that should been done. they only put enough effort in BC to get the them to run and called it a day.
(07-14-2015, 09:04 PM)tsunami2311 Wrote: it was locked out on older/launch systems, later system is was removed. also didnt say they didnt run fine i said they did the bare minimum to get to work, games made for ps2 where made for CRT not HDTV there for they looked like trash on hdtv, which why they needed to to atlest render the games at higher res (720p)and not upscale.

Just like the ps2 classic psone classic all look like trash on htdv most people dont have crt anymore there for render the game at atlest 720p is minium that should been done. they only put enough effort in BC to get the them to run and called it a day.

Isn't that kinda what backwards compatibility is? Running games from previous consoles as they were? Increasing the resolution and whatnot would have certainly caused for some glitches here and there, which the end user would not enjoy and then there'd be endless bitching about why there are so many bugs on a console and blah blah blah.
(07-14-2015, 09:04 PM)tsunami2311 Wrote: it was locked out on older/launch systems, later system is was removed.

WRONG. Launch systems were 40/60 later is was 40/80 and 3rd gen PS3s were still 40/80 but with PS2 emulation removed. You can go on the PS store and buy PS2 classics on ANY system, including the new ps3 "super-slim" with the slide cover, and the games play 100% correctly. You can not use your PS2 cDVDs however. EVEN if the same game is on the store

http://forums.pcsx2.net/attachment.php?aid=44585
(07-15-2015, 06:06 PM)Saiki Wrote: WRONG. Launch systems were 40/60 later is was 40/80 and 3rd gen PS3s were still 40/80 but with PS2 emulation removed. You can go on the PS store and buy PS2 classics on ANY system, including the new ps3 "super-slim" with the slide cover, and the games play 100% correctly. You can not use your PS2 cDVDs however. EVEN if the same game is on the store

http://forums.pcsx2.net/attachment.php?aid=44585

Launch ps3 actual had the EE/GS Full hardware in the system. neither is Download copies from the psn store the same as playing them from a disc either, what there doing with the store is more of emulation and more very simplified emulation that lacks any useful enchantments, BC was the actual disk running in the system. dont confuse the two,

And again i never said they didnt work i said they where simplified to just work have zero enhancements that would make the atlest look decent on hdtv, for that to happen they needed to support higher rendering then 480i/p which would of been at lest 720p, if people still used CRT and it would been fine but most dont.

And once they moved away from hardware base in favor of software more and more game had issue running. till the finally stupid with bc compatible updates and removed it all together.

ps1/ps2 game played on hdtv threw the consoles LOOK NOTHING LIKE what they did back in the day on crt, which why i will never play those games on there respective console connected to hdtv. and why i do that all threw emulation these days.

I can get and have got ps2/ps1 games on my ps3 FROM the ps store, BUT THAT is not BC is the use of the actual disk i own in the system.

Ever wonder why they dont have ALL there ps1/ps2 games on psn? it would cost them just as much to do proper working BC with decent enchantment in R&D as it would to get them all to work threw emulation threw downloaded threw the ps store. which what they never were gona do. they would rather re release the games they could get work threw the limit emulaton and charge for it. that is in no way bc.
oh indeed, but those games there run fine on disc, on the emulated PS2 engine of the 80gb model
(07-15-2015, 07:37 PM)tsunami2311 Wrote: Ever wonder why they dont have ALL there ps1/ps2 games on psn? it would cost them just as much to do proper working BC with decent enchantment in R&D as it would to get them all to work threw emulation threw downloaded threw the ps store.

I believe it's mainly because of licensing issues. They can't just release games on the PSN. They need to get permissions from the licensors first.