bad cpu, need help
i'm running 0.9.2 just because i downloaded it with all the plugins configured.

i can run shadow of the colossus, but when it gets by the loading and "SCEA Presents" screens, the frame rate scoops down to 4-6 fps. this is indeed unacceptable.

i'm running an iMac (windows) with a 1.83ghz Intel Core Duo with 2 gigs of ram, and i don't think i should have a problem running this with all the preferences cranked down.

can someone let me know what i can do to make sure minimalist computer settings can run a game at a normal frame rate? i just want to run shadow in progressive scan, it looks much more beautiful that way.

Sponsored links

Several problems here, the biggest is that you severely underestimate the computer requirements for pcsx2 Tongue2
Anyway, get the latest pcsx2. Your's is years old. Get the latest plugins as well (especially GSdx).

Even then, with that computer you won't get fullspeed. The max you'll see is about 50%..
Oh, and you cannot decrease some quality settings to make it faster. This is not a pc game Wink
Try some 2D games like naruto ultimate ninja. They run full speed with speed hacks enabled on intel core duo 1.66GHz. Use GSdx with NATIVE option enabled.
(04-06-2009, 07:57 AM)rama Wrote: Get the latest plugins as well (especially GSdx).

this tells me to update directx, and i installed a version of 10 for xp.
(04-06-2009, 08:58 PM)adman130 Wrote:
(04-06-2009, 07:57 AM)rama Wrote: Get the latest plugins as well (especially GSdx).

this tells me to update directx, and i installed a version of 10 for xp.

If you mean the hacked version, don't expect it to run the DX10 plugin. Stick with 9, I've read about far too many problems with the DX10 for XP hack to be able to recommend it.

Just use whatever Microsoft uses to update it.
"This thread should be closed immediately, it causes parallel imagination and multiprocess hallucination" --ardhi
First off: download latest PCSX 2 and latest GSdx plugin. Newer emu and newer plugin are much faster and correct many bugs. This is one of your biggest problems here.

Second: Your PC. To play (play as in "enjoy" the game) a game like Shadow of the Colossus you need a machine with "more or less" 3Ghz. 1.8Ghz won't do much, not only in that game but in almost any pcsx2 game. You can try enabling all speedhacks (x3 cycle works wonders in Shadow of the Colossus) and lower most settings, but those 1.8ghz aren't going to do much anyways.

Third: As was mentioned before, this is not a PC game. This is emulation. Changing the quality while it will affect the overall speed, won't be much, specially if you're playing with such an old version!

Try to get the latest. Try enabling all speedhacks and lower all settings. It will get you more fps. But don't expecto to play it finely on your machine.
SAGER NP8690 | i7-620M 2.66Ghz | 6GB RAM | ATI 5870M 1GB GDDR5 | FullHD 1080p 15.6'' | 500GB HDD 7200RPM | WINDOWS 7
well i need a lot of help then.

i need to know how to downgrade from directx10 to a stable release of 9. i was naive enough to download and install a hacked version of 10 for xp. i can't get 9c from microsoft because i fail validation (who doesn't). perhaps a mirror.

i tried finding it, but i could just find redist sdk's
(04-06-2009, 11:44 PM)adman130 Wrote: well i need a lot of help then.

i need to know how to downgrade from directx10 to a stable release of 9. i was naive enough to download and install a hacked version of 10 for xp. i can't get 9c from microsoft because i fail validation (who doesn't). perhaps a mirror.

i tried finding it, but i could just find redist sdk's

The redist sdk is exactly the one you need. It will download all the updates you need (my recent reinstall of XP needed DX stuff all the way back to 2007 for pcsx2).
i thank all of you for your help, but i got most help from one of my friends.

i ended up installing and reinstalling directx several times, and i can run shadow of the colossus at 14 fps. i've grudgingly accepted this is as far as i'll get it with my iMac, but my other friend and i plan on getting a quad core pc tower for $500 or so, so we can a) triple boot and b) run things we wouldn't be able to anyway. again, thank you for all your help.

/thread.