[blog] A new kind of fullscreen!
Not really. Microsoft doesn't make this stuff especially easy, honestly. Well it's not too painful in DX10, except for a certain nearly unavoidable threading problem. Really, Microsoft just want everyone to eventually use cooperative fullscreen, and will likely make exclusive mode fullscreen obsolete, in a future windows or directx incarnation.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team

Sponsored links

hmm what would happen to the games that use exclusive fullscreen now in an OS that doesn't support that "feature"?
Chicken is not Vegan?

NO VEGAN DIET NO VEGAN POWERS!!!!

http://www.flixxy.com/my-blackberry-is-not-working.htm
It could just use cooperative fullscreen instead: maximize the window, remove window decorations, and stretch the internal render target (1024x768 or whatever the game uses) to fit the desktop's physical video mode (1680x1050, etc). In DX10 this can be done seamlessly because of how Microsoft set up the API. In DX9 it'd be a little more hacky because apps had to do more low-level stuff to engage exclusive fullscreen mode. But I'm pretty sure it's still perfectly doable.
(01-31-2010, 03:45 AM)Air Wrote: Disadvantages:
  • Always uses your desktop resolution on CRT displays (this is an advantage for anyone with an LCD display, but can be a disadvantage for people with CRT displays, depending on your setup .. however few of you are left)

I'm still a conservative CRT user.

For instance under current model of fullscreen. I set desktop resolution to 640x480 @ 163Hz which is the same resolution I prefer in fullscreen, with Windows 7.

On GSdx10(hardware), hit Alt+Enter to go fullscreen still stay with 640x480 @ 163Hz

But on ZeroGS, hit Alt+Enter brings me to the fullscreen in 1280x960 @ 120Hz, which is the maximum resolution settled in my monitor driver.

I suppose with the new kind of fullscreen, I could bring ZeroGS to fullscreen in 640x480 @ 163Hz in this case. Since there still a few games run better in ZeroGS.

Currently, if I wanna go for different fullscreen in the same different resolution with GSdx. First switch to that resolution, And then hit Alt+Enter.

So, I suppose "Always uses your desktop resolution on CRT displays" is benefit rather than disadvantage. It'll correct the behavior of ZeroGS, though won't influence GSdx.
durable PC since 2008
CPU : E7200 @ 2.53 GHz 1.04 V / OC 3.7 GHz 1.36 V (390*9.5, 4GB DDR2 780)
GPU : 8600GT (GDDR3, 256 MB) / OC (750 / 900)
BOARD : GA-EP31-DS3L (rev 1.0) broken and bought a second hand one replaced
PSU : 300 W
This sounds good to me, but I didn't know the problem with the old mode, thanks to DirectX 10. But it's nice to see you working on such stuff.

(02-01-2010, 02:08 PM)Bositman Wrote: Do you prefer the words 'crash', 'freeze' and 'BSOD' ?

I'd rather take the slowdown^^. I think that in doubt, it should be more stable than a bit slower. But that's just my opinion.
Rejoice, they say. Color is back.
Another advantage is that this type of fullscreen mode is probably more compatible with multiple monitor setups.

Basically all its doing is maximizing the window, removing the borders and possibly making it always-on-top? (idk how Jake implemented it exactly)

On really old cards running in exclusive fullscreen modes could be a speedup, but these cards won't run pcsx2 well anyways so most people actively using pcsx2 aren't going to be effected.
Check out my blog: Trashcan of Code
I dont know if it is relevant but i like that playing in pcsx2 with gamepad the window don't need to be active.
So i can chat and browse internet and use gamepad simultaneously. Please, dont ever change this Smile
Phenom II X4 940 3 Ghz / 8 gb RAM 800 / Geforce GTX 460 / win7 64
(02-04-2010, 08:07 AM)cottonvibes Wrote: Basically all its doing is maximizing the window, removing the borders and possibly making it always-on-top? (idk how Jake implemented it exactly)

More or less. I'm actually using wxWidgets' fullscreen feature -- which is basically the same thing used when you hit F11 in your web browser, or switch on fullscreen mode in a paint program. So I'm not sure exactly what window flags it changes, but it works really well and has probably been test/assured to work on millions of PCs. That makes me happy.
(02-01-2010, 05:08 PM)rama Wrote: The slowdowns would only happen on specifically slow VGA cards, when Aero is enabled,
and when the game does some rare and slow kind of graphics.
In short: It'll never happen in 95% of games / pc setups.

As Jake mentioned though, an exclusive fullscreen mode can still be added.
From the sound of it, affected people could just check a box in the compatibility tab of their PCSX2 to disable Aero when it's running.

For some programs Windows will automatically disable Aero because of compatibility, it's not a huge deal.
I have noticed that the Zerogs Plugin has alot of diffictuly getting out of fullscreen, but I havent tried any other plugin's fullscreen capability....not sure why though =/
[Image: 40122467.png]