[blog] Threading VU1
What Bositman said is likely the reason its not faster.
To tell that its working at all though, you should be able to see the "VU%" be non-zero in the game window's title bar on 3d scenes (when VU1 is likely to be used).
The code is pretty much identical between Windows and Linux for the threading; the only differences are due to Windows using exception handling for allocating recompiler memory, while Linux uses Signals. If the Linux code wasn't working basically every game would crash when it tried to run VU1.

And yeh its a shame linux doesn't have a fast gs plugin for it; this is why its currently better to run pcsx2 on windows if possible :/
Check out my blog: Trashcan of Code

Sponsored links

Quote:To tell that its working at all though, you should be able to see the "VU%" be non-zero in the game window's title bar on 3d scenes (when VU1 is likely to be used).

Yes, I can see that in Windows build, but the Linux one has no such thing, displayed are only values for interlace/limiter/fps.

Anyway, (using a devel build) running GOW without/with MTVU enabled I get this in console:

.diff   GOW1.diff (Size: 6,12 KB / Downloads: 595)
(08-24-2011, 09:57 PM)dubigrasu Wrote: Yes, I can see that in Windows build, but the Linux one has no such thing, displayed are only values for interlace/limiter/fps.

linux doesnt show EE% and stuff either? i thought it did :/
guess the code to output that to the titlebar must've been only for windows and i didn't notice...

(08-24-2011, 09:57 PM)dubigrasu Wrote: Anyway, (using a devel build) running GOW without/with MTVU enabled I get this in console:

that's normal.
although it shouldn't happen with MTVU off; but didn't really test that.
Check out my blog: Trashcan of Code
MTVU is good. On linux you can monitor process with the top command. When MTVU is enabled a new thread appear, and another thread uses less cpu Smile However I need to look at the title bar.

Edit: On latest svn, I implemented the threading name on linux. With top command (hit H to show thead) you can easily see which part of PCSX2 is the slowest.
I will try to implement thead timing information later but I'm not sure it can be done on linux.

Edit2: Ok timing stuffs are implemented. Thread usage appears on the title bar Smile enjoys.
So, do you guys still plan to add more threads in the future or MTVU is the last effort to stop ppl from complaining?
why would we add more threads? 1 is enough. You can't really split it much more...
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Split the MTGS thread!
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
I want to use multi-threaded program because my CPU is a quad-core, but I always avoid multi-threading whenever possible when coding Blink. I don't want to spent extra time to debug a mess Laugh.
Well currently there's the EE, GS, VU1 and Gui threads, so perfect for your quad Tongue2
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
(09-09-2011, 12:57 PM)Livy Wrote: I want to use multi-threaded program because my CPU is a quad-core, but I always avoid multi-threading whenever possible when coding Blink. I don't want to spent extra time to debug a mess Laugh.

Yes that would everybody want.But team has been working few years on threaded VU before they managed to implemented it. So maybe in 4 years Smile