[blog] Threading VU1
Cottonvibes: I think he(she?) meant disabling MTGS, forcing the GS and EE to be emulated on the same thread and the VU on the second instead.

That said, your point obviously still stands on that in general.
[Image: 2748844.png]

Sponsored links

(09-21-2011, 10:17 PM)Koji Wrote: Cottonvibes: I think he(she?) meant disabling MTGS, forcing the GS and EE to be emulated on the same thread and the VU on the second instead.

That said, your point obviously still stands on that in general.

oh sorry you're right, i thought they said MTVU.

in pcsx2 its not possible to disable MTGS anymore.
there is an option to sync MTGS every instruction, but it still runs on its own thread (it just syncs on every MTGS packet making it only useful for debugging purposes).

MTVU 'needs' MTGS to function properly. The idea for threading VU1 relies on gif packets being handled asynchronously with respect to the EE; and that is what MTGS does for us.
there is another idea for threading VU1 which is to make the MTGS thread handle both GIF and VU1 programs, and not have a 'MTVU' thread.
this may be better for dual core cpus, but won't give the optimum speedup for quad core cpus. in the end though, our current approach i think is better (especially since the future of CPUs is more cores).
Check out my blog: Trashcan of Code
MTGS was improved to the point where even single core systems didn't benefit from turning it off as I recall, and there are no compatibility issues because communication with the GS is almost exclusively unidirectional, so we can sync for the rare exceptions with acceptable performance. MTGS is not a hack.
Edit: I fixed it! I was testing other things just because I could and accidentally loaded the save state instead of saving it. I found that you have to load the save state after you save it to avoid the MTVU related freeze. I can not believe I didn't think of that before.
Thanks for acknowledging my problem before.

After a lot of time and effort I have come up with absolutely nothing.
As a reminder, I posted a while ago about a weird save state problem where I can only save state once, trying again causes the emulator to freeze. No one else seems to have this problem so it is probably some obscure hardware or software compatibility issue that goes way over my current programing knowledge.
Thankfully, it only happens with MTVU turned on so I don't have to give up save states on the games that don't get a boost from it. I bet that this will just be one of those things that ends up ironing itself out without anyone attacking the specific problem.
Oh well, guess I just can't have the boost of speed MTVU gives and save states, for now at least.
is there Multi thread for EE because now got MTVU???

or any EE booster?
What? MTVU means multi threaded VU, EE is in one thread and if you read this article it will most probably never be split in more threads.
No there is no 'booster', 'max speed', 'turbo FPS' or 'hyper lolz boost button'.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
in future any improve speedhack for EE cycle???

Gs software is based on GPU or CPU speed???
I feel there should be a hyper lolz boost button...
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

hyper lolz boost button???

is it impossible for EE booster?

MTVU huge speedup for games thanks
(09-29-2011, 07:51 PM)refraction Wrote: I feel there should be a hyper lolz boost button...

r5000 might have one of those
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64