[bug report] Wipeout Fusion
1. When texture filtering is enabled, Wipeout Fusion shows a strange "grid" like artifact across a lot of the menu graphics and the in-game HUD. Screenshot is attached. The screenshot is 50% of original size, and the odd aspect ratio is because the game seems to render only half the internal vertical res each frame.

This happens in PCSX2 0.9.8 with GDSx SEE2 or SEEE3, DX9 hardware or DX10 hardware modes. Turning off texture filtering or switching to the software renderer seems to be the only way to get rid of it.

2. The intro movie runs at a really low frame rate on my desktop (ATI) but at full speed on my laptop (nvidia)

Other than that, I have the game running nice and smooth with near hires graphics. There doesn't seem to be an interlacing mode that gets rid of the wobble on some screens but you don't notice it once you're moving fast.

HTH
Dave

My hardware:
Dell XPS420 (Q6600 @ 2.4ghz, Radeon HD 3870x2, 4gb RAM, Windows 7 x64)

Macbook Pro (June 2009) (T9600 @ 2.83ghz, Nvidia 9600M, 4gb RAM, Windows 7 x64 via bootcamp)

Sponsored links

1. Unfortunately that happens with some games and texture filtering, dont forget to try all 3 states before you condemn it! Tongue

2. Frame rate is not a bug.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Quote:Unfortunately that happens with some games and texture filtering, dont forget to try all 3 states before you condemn it

Checked, unchecked and "3D only", right? yes I tried all three. It's a shame, because Wipeout Fusion would benefit from texture filtering due to the low vertical res, and Wipeout Pulse would benefit from it because of the weapons graphics.

Quote:Unfortunately that happens with some games and texture filtering, dont forget to try all 3 states before you condemn it

[2. Frame rate is not a bug. ]

I guess its not interesting then that two machines with relatively similar performance characteristics (when you take into account a PCSX2 only uses two cores and a single GPU) perform dramatically differently in this case? on the desktop, the intro movie causes the PC to slow to a crawl, fans blowing. The Macbook just shrugs it off. I don't think its the tiny difference in clock speeds (though I can overclock my dell to 2.8 if needs be to check).

EDIT - I forgot to mention something important, sorry. The intro movie plays at full speed on the desktop in the software renderer.
Quote:I guess its not interesting then that two machines with relatively similar performance characteristics
VERY relatively, then. Since, q6600 and T9600 are a completely different architecture.
Quote: don't think its the tiny difference in clock speeds (though I can overclock my dell to 2.8 if needs be to check).
400 Mhz isn't that tiny when it comes to fps under pcsx2.

anyways, this is not a valid bug report since it implies gsdx and not pcsx2.
moved to plugins section
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
Quote:VERY relatively, then. Since, q6600 and T9600 are a completely different architecture.

My assumption is only based on informed observation. I should point out I'm a C++ programmer with 20 years experience by the way - realtime, maths-heavy stuff, not databases :-)

Quote:400 Mhz isn't that tiny when it comes to fps under pcsx2.

I can easily overclock to that in software, I might give it a try and see.

Quote:moved to plugins section

You might want to move my other post for the same reason then.
One quick software overclock to 2.8ghz later...and there's no change. The video slows down, the graphics card fans spin up and everything slows to a crawl. CPU isn't doing anything much though.

With the software renderer all is sweet.

Oh, and switching the hardware renderer to native resolution, changing plugins (SSE2/SSE3/SSSE3) all made no difference. I tried a LOT of different options before reporting this for a bug.

one important thing i see is the SLI card you have there in your desktop. dunno if the drivers use that if not explicitly told but if so that might cause issues with the hardware rendering. the emulator or gsdx blits the video thru d3d functions on screen so it's not just a predictable framebuffer blit and the rendering mode may be hard to predict for the driver. also i remember the video is interlaced (means renders changing scanlines). it may trigger just another faulty behaviour with the decision for the rendering mode.

lots of tech babble. Laugh

dunno if it's possible to switch the gpu to single core mode (i never had any SLI)?!? that might solve it. :/
those GPu are all weak, unfortunately.
That's why software mode gives you better results
Quote:dunno if it's possible to switch the gpu to single core mode (i never had any SLI)?!? that might solve it. :/

It's easy to switch to a single GPU - just turn off Catalyst AI in Radeon Pro. Unfortunately, it makes no difference.

With just one GPU

With both

Quote:those GPu are all weak, unfortunately.

A single 3870 is roughly equivalent to a 9600M, I've tested and proven that across multiple games. Yet the 9600M will quite happily blast that FMV out at 50fps where as the 3870 won't. I'm happy to say its just an unpleasant interaction between the ATI driver and the GS plugin that doesn't manifest with the Nvidia, but please, the GPUs in and of themselves are absolutely fine.
Quote:but please, the GPUs in and of themselves are absolutely fine.

*sigh*

I wonder why you come to ask support if you know this emu so much...