corei7 @ 3.4/3.5ghz, how will software mode work in gsdx with 7 threads Pcsx2 0.9.6?
Thinking bout new computer, how well would an oc'd i7 920 at 3.4/3.5ghz run GSDX 10 in software mode with Pcsx2 0.9.6 and a better than decent gpu like a gtx260 or better?

Sponsored links

games run very slow in sofware mode. Some games run very slow in hardware mode and so they will crawl in software mode.
So even if you overclock your future cpu you will not get any speed in software mode.
(03-04-2009, 07:03 AM)redlof Wrote: games run very slow in sofware mode. Some games run very slow in hardware mode and so they will crawl in software mode.
So even if you overclock your future cpu you will not get any speed in software mode.

Core i7 has 4 real threads and 4 virtual hyper-threading threads and gsdx supports more threads in software mode, i7 could use 7 in software with the 8th thread for pcsx2. I really don't think this is completly a question of speed but also of number of threads/cores question and 0.9.6 has speedups and GSDX 1.14 has speedups for software mode.
If you are comparing a core2duo/quad with a corei7 in terms of performance in software mode of GSdx then corei7 will perform better. but not faster than hardware mode.
It runs just fine mas5acre. I tried FFX (PAL) using 6 threads for GSdx, leaving 2 for PCSX2 (For MTGS), and it ran at a constant ~165 fps at the menus. Using hardware, it ran at a constant 200 - 215, so it works great if you need to use software for whatever reason, at least, it can run way over the 50/60 FPS limit for PAL/NTSC. This is with everything I normally have loaded though, it's faster when running nothing but PCSX2.

@redlof, to just blankly say "games run very slow in software", is not true at all.
.:Intel Core i7 Extreme 965 OC'ed @ 4Ghz - EVGA X58 SLI - Corsair 6GB @ 1600Mhz 9-9-9-24 - 2xEVGA GTX 285 1GB OC'ed @ 680/1548/1270Mhz in SLI - Dell UltraSharp 24" - Corsair HX1000W PSU - Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 - Antec 900
.OhmyCZ Vertex 250GB SSD 200/160MB/s read/write - Samsung F1 1TB
.:Windows 7 x64
Right, GSdx got very fast in software rendering. On my dual core (1 thread for gsdx) the slowest I've seen was 20fps.
The normal case for 3d games is about 50fps, and some go towards 80fps.

With that i7 and 6 render threads, even the slowest game should get to 60fps Smile
Ya, I actually use software mode for all of the games atm; even without HT hit ~60fps with framelimit using 2 (sometimes 3) threads.
I may turn HT on eventually and see how much fps I can hit using 6-7.

Gabest did a good job improving it.
Ninja
even those games like god of war run at 60? That's sick o.o
So full speed 60fps! with software mode and i7, awesome, what I wanted to hear. Are your i7s overclocked guys? I wanna build a massive 4TB-6TB media monster with a core i7 for its heart, I own aloooooot of ps2 games like around 130+. Software mode is more compatible. I want to basically store everything in one place, music, video, games, etc.
Definately a Geforce card cause radeon makes the cpu do the work on 2d games, pcsx2 gives it enuff work. I actually wanted a radeon......I wanted the 4870, o well PCSX2 is more important to me.
(03-04-2009, 10:06 PM)mas5acre Wrote: So full speed 60fps! with software mode and i7, awesome, what I wanted to hear. Are your i7s overclocked guys? I wanna build a massive 4TB-6TB media monster with a core i7 for its heart, I own aloooooot of ps2 games like around 130+. Software mode is more compatible. I want to basically store everything in one place, music, video, games, etc.
Definately a Geforce card cause radeon makes the cpu do the work on 2d games, pcsx2 gives it enuff work. I actually wanted a radeon......I wanted the 4870, o well PCSX2 is more important to me.

For long amount of time, Nvidia is always better... Seeing that right now the gaming indusrty sees some "back stabbing" it will tatter a lot. Also nvidia has a real 3d technology in beta witch lets you play games using 3d glasses . Plus there is the 2d games support...