cso files using PCSX2
(07-25-2012, 02:16 PM)refraction Wrote: Pcsx2 is compatible with most if not all uncompressed ISO image formats
Yes but what about compressed? That's what I meant. It would be nice if it would support any but I think it would hit CPU performance.

Sponsored links

Did you read what he said before? PCSX2 CAN compress iso to a format it can read. Try opening Linuz Iso CDVD plugin.
(07-25-2012, 02:28 PM)naoan Wrote: Did you read what he said before? PCSX2 CAN compress iso to a format it can read. Try opening Linuz Iso CDVD plugin.
Ah, sorry, now I noticed the typo. He said Linux not Linuz so I didn't thought of the actual plugin and thought it was somekind of an app on Linux distro. Let's try...
sorry i was typing on my phone and it doesnt know who "linuz" is ;p

yes Linuz ISO format has bzip compression which it can use, however if you lose the table file, the iso is unrecoverable. As i said the compression you get from turning NTFS compression on for your ISO folder is neglegably different from that which bzip compression gives, with the advantage its very difficult (if impossible) to lose your ISO file, so just do that.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Meh the average compression ratios in bzip are really not worth the effort compressing the ISO which pretty like defeats the purpose of such feature. Sad bzip is a pretty inefficient algorythm for ISO image compression though it's a super-great/promissing/pottential-filled feauture. Maybe a different algorythm like LZMA or maybe even an algorythm with multithreading could be cool for PCSX2 as it wouldnt really mess with it's speed though have amazing compression ratios. Since multithreading is not something that PCSX2 relies that much we could take advantage of it in different ways, one could be that example, running ISO decompression on a different thread than EE+GS+VU1+VU2+IOP.