current aim
hey,

just want to thank all of you people making this possible.
I'm just wondering whats your current aim?

What are you doing in this months? Are you trying to improve the speed of emulation? or the compatiblity? Or do you try to build some extras like firewire/ dev9?

Earlier you posted some of this "current aims" in your blog and i loved to read it.

Maybe you can also explain the expectations for version 1.0? Complete hardware-compatibility? all games "in-menu" or "playable"?

What are you guys going to do after version 1.0? Will you improve it, or start to live as buddhistic monks?

Will some of you try to emulate ps3?

Maybe you can post some more information in your blog..

Thank you very much! PCSX2 is in discussions like "why are gnu, open source projects better?" my chief argument

Sponsored links

short answer: read the faqs
(04-15-2011, 06:31 PM)Saiki Wrote: short answer: read the faqs

I hoped getting more than:
"The aim of this project is to emulate the Playstation 2, allowing people to play their Ps2 games on their PC."

If you have no time for more exact informations, it would be ok, I just thought it would be nice to know more about the coders/testers/supporters and there current work...
http://code.google.com/p/pcsx2/updates/list
I read the updatelist periodical,

but if you know the steps of every employee in a company or in this case of every coder in this group, you don't know simultaneously the aim of the whole group... this is because of the missing information of the importance of updates...

And i asked for the personal aims of the coders and the expectations of version 1.0, too... what will happen after 1.0?

I didn't want to know if you like newbies, but this is the only information I got till this moment.
If you only answer in sarcastic know-it-all style, i don't need your answers. if this question is offending to the coders and supporters just ignore it, i didn't want to hurt your soul...
everything is explains in the faqs and readme files. I'm sure after they get to 1.0 (which is a ways away I assure you) we'll see what they do. probably some unimportant features will get implimented, or minor fixes on x or y game.

and as far as the information WE have (us, the members. I'm not one of the devs) that is all we have as well.
Ill try and be a "little" more helpful than Saiki was there...
(04-15-2011, 06:05 PM)willkuer Wrote: hey,

just want to thank all of you people making this possible.
I'm just wondering whats your current aim?

We aim to get the best compatability we can through emulation, not 100% as it will never happen, but so a majority of games work (in the 90's playable). Once we have achieved this, it will probably be emulator wide rewrites and optimization.

(04-15-2011, 06:05 PM)willkuer Wrote: What are you doing in this months? Are you trying to improve the speed of emulation? or the compatiblity? Or do you try to build some extras like firewire/ dev9?

At the moment? Making sure the emulator is stable preparing for a release ;p Other than that, generally compatability. I did work recently on the firewire null plugin a bit to help games which check for firewire to boot, however this was more of a compatability pass than a feature pass (firewire was pretty useless on the ps2).

(04-15-2011, 06:05 PM)willkuer Wrote: Earlier you posted some of this "current aims" in your blog and i loved to read it.

Maybe you can also explain the expectations for version 1.0? Complete hardware-compatibility? all games "in-menu" or "playable"?

Version 1 probably won't be quite as epic as you'd hope. Sure its a big revision number and we'd want everything to be near on perfect at version 1, i mean, as it denotes, it is the first major version, which should be deemed able to do what it set out to do, however being an emulator of such complex nature, this isn't always going to be possible, but we will try to make it well worth it.
(04-15-2011, 06:05 PM)willkuer Wrote: What are you guys going to do after version 1.0? Will you improve it, or start to live as buddhistic monks?

The latter sounds quite appealing.... In reality however, we will probably just carry on as we have been Smile

(04-15-2011, 06:05 PM)willkuer Wrote: Will some of you try to emulate ps3?

For the foreseeable future, no. The system is quite a monster and little is known about the actual hardware (where plenty of documentation is available for the PS2), so we wouldn't have much to go on. It would be cool to do, but emulation is IMO starting to see an end due to the complexity of console systems.

(04-15-2011, 06:05 PM)willkuer Wrote: Maybe you can post some more information in your blog..

Thank you very much! PCSX2 is in discussions like "why are gnu, open source projects better?" my chief argument

When we feel we have something worth writing about, we will write about it don't you worry!

Thank you for your support Smile

[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

"Current aim" depends on who is active in the team and what they're interested in doing, from the beginning the only aim that's always been the same is getting the best compatibility possible.

1.0 will just be the next stable after the 0.9.9 betas, currently odd versions are betas and even numbers are the stables to that betas so like...

0.9.5 (betas including playground) and 0.9.6 (stable)
0.9.7 (betas) and 0.9.8 (stable)
0.9.9 (betas) and 1.0.0 (stable)
1.0.1 (betas) and 1.0.2 (stable)
etc...

1.0.0 could just be another stable but you never know, could be huge just like 0.9.7 is already a huge upgrade on compatibility over 0.9.6 Tongue2
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64