diagnostic for bottleneck
SSE4a is not SSE4/SSE4.1

SSE4a only includes a few instructions from SSE4, none of which are useful for emulation purposes.
www.twitch.tv/krazytrumpeter05
Want to stream your games? Let me know and I can help you get set up with Open Broadcaster Software.

Sponsored links

thanx for the advises.
Will i get some reasonable fps if i buy discrete sound-card? Few years ago build-in sound could lower performance in games, what about now?
Phenom II X4 940 3 Ghz / 8 gb RAM 800 / Geforce GTX 460 / win7 64
Almost no change in performance what so ever as far as I have seen, switching between my integrated RealTek HD-audio and my Creative X-Fi Gamer (the one with dedicated 64 mb ram).
Soundcard type/quality is irrelevant for PCSX2, which must do all mixing in software (via your cpu). In fact, fancy "quality" sound cards are becoming increasingly irrelevant under Windows too -- Vista itself has no support for hardware soundcards at the DirectX/Xaudio2 level, and does everything in software regardless of how fancy your soundcard happens to be. There are in fact a lot of good reasons for this so don't get mad at Microsoft. I coded audio mixers and midi/module players for years and hardware-accelerated soundcards have always been a royal pain to work with. And with modern mutli-core CPUs, the overhead of a mixing is miniscule at worst.

Even in Pcsx2, the mixer is practically nothing for overhead. The problem is the emulation stage, which must do quite a bit of volume and reverberation logic on a per-sample basis (48000 times a second). Most mixers for PC games can mix in large "chunks" that occur about 80-120 times a second, and the CPU can handle that much more efficiently. Even on an especially fancy PC game that uses 64 voices and reverb, overhead wouldn't be more than 5% -- and that's 5% that can typically run in parallel with the gfx rendering thread (which always has periods where it stalls and waits for the video card to enter a ready state for the next set of gfx commands). So in other words, 0% overhead on any modern multi-core or hyperthreaded cpu.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
OpenAL?
I guess you missed the part where I said hardware accel is fairly irrelevant. Sure game developers can waste their time implementing a more complex API like OpenAL for little or no benefit, just to satisfy your ego and poor monetary decision making when it comes to upgrading your computer. Or they can use a very simple Xaudio2 API which provides a high quality software mixer, and which gives them infinite more options for streaming audio manipuations, and is also less prone to latency than using a hardware accelerated soundcard. In fact, to some extent software mixing can actually be faster than hardware. Many modern games do a lot of realtime audio streams and for those they usually have to manually upload each stream to the soundcard anyway, as it plays. Since soundcards are typically not plugged into the PCI Express bus slot, the uploading process can be quite slow and fairly system-intensive.

Also if you keep spamming the forums with one word/one sentence snappy replies you will get a warning.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
we are falling into the offtopic...
so, AIR, there is no way to implement some small benchmarking feature to detect the bottlenecks?
Phenom II X4 940 3 Ghz / 8 gb RAM 800 / Geforce GTX 460 / win7 64
highly unlikely, the closest you will probably get is a percentage of how long each part of the emulator takes in time, which isnt really useful for recognising bottlenecks.

Grab the latest gsdx, latest pcsx2 beta, show us all your settings under GSDX, Config->CPU, Config->Advanced, Config->Speedhacks, then maybe we can tell you how to make the most out of what you have, but im telling you its your processor Tongue overclocking will help.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Lol

Anyway, what I wondered was if OpenAL isn't hardware accelerated as I always thought it was. I can understand why you resond as you did seeing as it's quite hard to understand what I wondered from just one word Tongue, but everything else is quite irrelevant for me as I use my integrated sound card for the OS and only use the creative card for media playback to get the digital 5.1 streams to my surround system.