does graphic ram affect Pcsx2 performance?
(08-23-2011, 03:45 PM)rosli_2252 Wrote: I'm using Core 2 Quad Q8400 OC'ed to 3.2 ghz, does it eat a lot of watts?

Hmm..this mean i have to spend more to upgrade my rig. What brand you guys would recommend?
I don't want very expensive PSU, just enough to power up 1 HD6950 2GB when i installed in my pc..

First of all, the Q8400 is not a great consumer of Watts, it uses about 137 watts at full load from what I found. So that's ok to me.

I'd get the HD6950 2GB, test it out with your current PSU, and if you feel that the card is not fast enough when rendering textures or it feels slow, then I'd get a cheap Antec 600w PSU that will be most likely good and would be more than enough to run all that. Remember that you're gonna need 2x6-Pin PCI-E connector from your PSU for that card. The HD6950 uses about 180W at full load actually, so you may be fine.
[Image: 6jj70x.png]

Sponsored links

the speed of the video memory is just as important as the size when using scaling, some render to texture type effects saturate the v-memory controller when they occur, for instance the Playstation2 intro and games with heavy use of smoke / fire.
(08-24-2011, 01:27 AM)Elratauru Wrote: First of all, the Q8400 is not a great consumer of Watts, it uses about 137 watts at full load from what I found. So that's ok to me.

I'd get the HD6950 2GB, test it out with your current PSU, and if you feel that the card is not fast enough when rendering textures or it feels slow, then I'd get a cheap Antec 600w PSU that will be most likely good and would be more than enough to run all that. Remember that you're gonna need 2x6-Pin PCI-E connector from your PSU for that card. The HD6950 uses about 180W at full load actually, so you may be fine.

Thanks Elratauru, i'm also thinking of buying cheap 600w PSU just to be safe..

i'm also agree with Register, the price isn't far away so i am willing to spend more money for the sake of future gaming. About unlocking the shader, i don't really hope for it because i heard rumors the GC sell in my country does not have the switch for bios. So, unlocking the shaders is imposible. I dont know why..

Same as Synce, i thought 750w is overkill.. Killing my electric bill..
thats not how modern PSU's work
(08-24-2011, 04:45 PM)Squall Leonhart Wrote: thats not how modern PSU's work

Indeed, modern PSU's will only consume what you need, or as close to as it can for its efficiency.

(08-24-2011, 11:08 AM)rosli_2252 Wrote: Thanks Elratauru, i'm also thinking of buying cheap 600w PSU just to be safe..

The lol in this statement is killing me Tongue That couldnt be any more unsafe (the cheap part that is)

[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

indeed, cheap electronics leak more power, thus need to pull more power from the socket to achieve a stable supply. not to mention there are overheating, overvolting, exploding caps, and refraction to worry about D:
(08-24-2011, 04:48 PM)refraction Wrote: Indeed, modern PSU's will only consume what you need, or as close to as it can for its efficiency.

The lol in this statement is killing me Tongue That couldnt be any more unsafe (the cheap part that is)

Hahaha... cheap that i mean is something like cooler master PSU not some brand that are too expensive...

I'm not just to choose any cheap unknown PSU without considering hazard i may encounter in the future..
(08-24-2011, 06:22 PM)rosli_2252 Wrote: Hahaha... cheap that i mean is something like cooler master PSU not some brand that are too expensive...

I'm not just to choose any cheap unknown PSU without considering hazard i may encounter in the future..
Good Tongue yeh, Coolermaster or OCZ do good psus at a reasonable price.

[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Yeah cheaping out on the PSU is a way to end up with a lot of dead parts. Clean consistent power is as important if not more so as the amount of power they have. Also for any modern videocard the amount of Amps on the 12v rail is very important.
(08-24-2011, 06:44 PM)dralor Wrote: Yeah cheaping out on the PSU is a way to end up with a lot of dead parts. Clean consistent power is as important if not more so as the amount of power they have. Also for any modern videocard the amount of Amps on the 12v rail is very important.

How to determine that? What value of amps is best or accurate?