[edited] Gran Turismo 4 doesn't require a monster CPU and OCing!!!
Photo 
I was doing some reading around the forums for help with my problems running GT4 and all of the discussions about this game ended with the people having trouble running the game having someone explain to them that this game needs a CPU that is 4.5GHz + to run smoothly. Well, this is simply not true as I have achieved great framerates with a high resolution setting and texture filtering. The game looks great on DX11 and runs like butter. It took me a little tweaking but I figured it out, I think it may have something to do with the MTVU... Someone who knows more about this stuff than me could probably do even better, I was just tweaking around with it and all of a sudden my game was running smooth.

My specs- AMD Phenom II x6 CPU @ 3.2 GHz | 8 GB DDR3 PC 1666 | Nvidia GTX470 1280

[Image: 2qcty.jpg]

Sponsored links

PCSX2 constantly evolves and things change. Many people still believe some games need 4 Ghz+ to work at full speed but slowly and surely the clock rate requirements get reduced (the MTVU speed hack for example makes tons of difference for lots of games). So don't hate them much Tongue
[Image: newsig.jpg]
Well, I was frustrated because all of the posts I saw about this game were all the same "Get a better CPU", that's the only answer given. But hopefully my post here will help bust the myth of needing a better CPU and motivate them to work with the emu's settings a little more before giving up on this amazing game thinking it's the CPU's fault.

PS, you have to reduce brightness in-game to clear up a garbled mess of colors, but GSdx now has an option to increase brightness Laugh (I didn't see any one talking about that either)
I think those people you're referring to just aren't aware of how awesome mtvu is. A year ago you needed 4ghz but now you can get by with a 3ghz quad (...sandy bridge anyway)
If you already own the game, and you already own the computer, it's usually rather silly to ask "will this game run on my rig?" Just find out for yourself, as you just did.
(04-23-2012, 09:47 AM)Pwnzistor Wrote: I was doing some reading around the forums for help with my problems running GT4 and all of the discussions about this game ended with the people having trouble running the game having someone explain to them that this game needs a CPU that is 4.5GHz + to run smoothly. Well, this is simply not true as I have achieved great framerates with a high resolution setting and texture filtering. The game looks great on DX11 and runs like butter. It took me a little tweaking but I figured it out, I think it may have something to do with the MTVU... Someone who knows more about this stuff than me could probably do even better, I was just tweaking around with it and all of a sudden my game was running smooth.

My specs- AMD Phenom II x6 CPU @ 3.2 GHz | 8 GB DDR3 PC 1666 | Nvidia GTX470 1280

I'm sure that nvidia card you got helps things significantly Smile
(04-23-2012, 09:47 AM)Pwnzistor Wrote: I was doing some reading around the forums for help with my problems running GT4 and all of the discussions about this game ended with the people having trouble running the game having someone explain to them that this game needs a CPU that is 4.5GHz + to run smoothly. Well, this is simply not true as I have achieved great framerates with a high resolution setting and texture filtering. The game looks great on DX11 and runs like butter. It took me a little tweaking but I figured it out, I think it may have something to do with the MTVU... Someone who knows more about this stuff than me could probably do even better, I was just tweaking around with it and all of a sudden my game was running smooth.

try license b-5 stage and tell what fps do you get. i get 45 fps. my system:

core i5 760 2.8 ghz turbo boost 3.33 ghz
4 gb kingston ddr3 1333 mhz
saphire hd 5770
windows 7 x64
@Pwnzistor:
Hey, dude--
Not everyone has the game,
so they may go by the others on this forum that comment on their experience with it. Wink

Pretty cool, though.
Looks like this is largely thanks to the MTVU hack working well with this game.
Makes you wonder what some people were doing without it less than a year ago...

I am also curious if you get any FPS loss in the License B-5 stage.
Not to nit-pick--
You did say you "achieved great framerates",
but you never really said "full speed", or that it never slowed down a bit. Smile
(Like when there's a lot of cars on-screen...)
I found that GT4 only works even tolerably if you set up some specific settings in addition to the speedhacks shown in your screenshot (and I think only MTVU makes a difference on my rig, I have my EE and VU sliders on 0)

- EE Clamping mode must be set to "Extra + Preserve Sign", everything else on that tab at default
- VU Clamping mode must be set to "Extra", everything else on that tab at default
- Allow 8-bit textures must be checked in the GSDx settings

The game frameskips very well, so even on my slow machine (Q6600 + HD3870X2) I can play the game at full speed, if not full FPS. Obviously, it isn't smooth, but I don't get sudden slowdowns or speedups as I go through different parts of the track.
Used your settings, no difference on my system. Also used a ton of other settings, but without success. I get slow-mo while racing and the game is really blurry on any de-interlacing setting.

GT 4 PAL

CPU: i7 [email protected]
Ram: 6GB 1333Mhz Triple Channel
GPU: 6870 1GB