emotion engine vs single core cpu
...someone said that PS3 is much superiorer then PC, I will disagree with that... in fact PS3 is made for gaming, & that's it's only purpose, but PC's are machines that can do much more then PS3... & graphics on PS3 is not so revolutionar anymore... there are many PC games with much better graphics then one from PS3... but after all, I must say one thing too for consoles... if consoles had, so to say, GHz potential as PC's have, where would they be now?

Cheers...
AMD FX-8350
4x 4GB DDR3 2400MHz
AMD Radeon R9 Fury X

Sponsored links

Few, if any, games on the PS3 have tapped it's full potential yet. I know some games have claimed they have, but I'm not sure I believe them. Furthermore, the PS3 is also clearly superior to the PC in many other things than just gaming: It is still vastly superior for almost any form of distributed computing (most widely known for it's folding@home), for many types of image manipulation algorithms, and even for various types of database operations**. Simply put, the 7 SPEs of your common PS3 still put your PC's SSE units to shame, and the internal parallel-processing memory bus system is something the PC has no equivalent for. For everything else -- in particular single-threaded tasks that cannot use SIMD -- high end PCs are probably clear winners these days, though.

(** currently the last one is only superior in cost effectiveness -- the other two are simply unmatchable by any PC at this time).

So yes, the PS3 is specialized, but it's specialized to do SIMD floating point math, which is terribly useful for a helluva lot more than just games (in fact, to some extent it isn't as useful to games as it is many other computing projects; the PS3 is a better photoshop and folding@home tool than it is a gaming machine).

Additionally, I think one of the biggest things holding the current gen consoles back is simply their 'monitor' (and their lack of support for high-res HDTV). The common res of 1280×720 supported by most HDTV is already low-res by most desktop standards, and HDTV lacks the nifty natural anti-aliasing effect that used to make old tube TV images retain their charm even years after their resolutions were considered embarrassing by PC standards.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
Isn't PS3 a full 1080 HD? ...yeah I know all that, but somehow I forgot Air... lol me, indeed, PS3 is way superior then PC this days...

Tnx for reminding me... Cheers...
AMD FX-8350
4x 4GB DDR3 2400MHz
AMD Radeon R9 Fury X
Ok, ok... I got everyone's point.. It's a nice thread, but I have a question that doesn't want to shut up, in my head...

Why PS3 game production is so slow compared to PS2 ?? Too complex hardware for a videogame ?? What gives ?? I wanna know !
[Image: pibjimh9rqzvk1yz5kl.jpg]

(04-24-2010, 07:59 AM)Zeydlitz Wrote: Right now Crysis 2 screens and video does not look very advanced for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WJG14uLA3k

This is zero-comparison, look at this video of CryEngine2 on a reasonably powerful gaming rig vs. CryEngine3 on the PS3/360.

You certainly do NOT need a GTX480 or a 5870 to achieve these graphics on the PC.
i7 4790K @ 4.4 + H105 / EVGA GTX780 SC / MSI Z97M Gaming
16GB HyperX Beast / Seasonic Platinum 1050W/ Air 240
MX100 512GB / WD Black 4TB / WD Green 6TB / W7 x64
(04-26-2010, 03:33 PM)rex1825 Wrote: Isn't PS3 a full 1080 HD? ...yeah I know all that, but somehow I forgot Air... lol me, indeed, PS3 is way superior then PC this days...

Yes, it can be, tho not all games use that mode necessarily (I suspect most do). The bigger problem is that a lot of HDTVs don't support 1080p, especially anything made a few years ago (many older LCD TVs touted 1080p or 1080i support, but actually just downscale 1080 sources to 720p).

It's only been in the last few years that LCD TVs have been providing true 1080p resolutions on anything except the most expensive brands. Plasmas and such have been supporting 1080p longer but, obviously, you'd pay dearly for that. Wink

(so yea, in terms of pixels, PCs tend to win both in max res and cost-per-pixel)
(04-26-2010, 05:35 PM)Eva Wrote:
(04-24-2010, 07:59 AM)Zeydlitz Wrote: Right now Crysis 2 screens and video does not look very advanced for me.

This is zero-comparison, look at this video of CryEngine2 on a reasonably powerful gaming rig vs. CryEngine3 on the PS3/360.

You certainly do NOT need a GTX480 or a 5870 to achieve these graphics on the PC.

Yes,PS3 has only 256 MB of video memory (lol).You can't enyoy crysis at that level.PS3 might have better processors but it is shame they've put only 256 MB working memory and 256 MB video memory.
...how come that then GT5 is only 720 lol, they could do it in 1080...Unsure

Cheers...
AMD FX-8350
4x 4GB DDR3 2400MHz
AMD Radeon R9 Fury X
Maybe because PS3 isn't so strong?! lol XD
(04-26-2010, 05:35 PM)Eva Wrote:

If the CryEngine3 engine is a PC-developed engine ported to the PS3, then it's destined to suck on the PS3 (and that's what it is). This is one of the unfortunate aspects of coding for the PS3. Optimizing for it requires a completely different approach so enough things that you can't use cross-platform programming techniques and expect to get much muscle out of the PS3.

Same problem on the PS2. Games from PC and Dreamcast ported to the PS2 often sucked on the PS2 compared both to the PC versions and to other PS2 games.

And you can write that off as an advantage to PCs; they are in many ways easier to code for, to the extent that PCs will literally run seemingly bad/lazy code better/faster than seemingly good code.