for those who are interested in cpu overclocking
The frequency at which a processor processes information is called its clock. Increasing the timing of this clock, referred to as “overclocking,” enables your processor to function faster. You handle overclocking within the BIOS of your manufacturer’s motherboard. However, approach the process with some caution -- though there are advantages, there can also be significant disadvantages to overclocking.

Advantages:

-Money Savings:
The obvious purpose of overclocking a processor is to get more performance for your dollar. For example, the Intel i7 3770K and 3770 processors sell, as of May 2013, for about $330 and $290, respectively. The only difference is that the 3770’s cores run at 3.4 GHz, while the 3770K runs at 3.5 GHz, so you can realize a $40 savings by simply overclocking.

-Better Performance:
Resource-intensive programs such as graphics software and games push the limits of your processor, so setting the clock frequency higher allows you to experience better gameplay and faster response times. This increased response can allow for greater productivity or higher graphics quality within a game.

Disadvantages

-Voided Manufacturer Warranties:
Computer manufacturers set the clock rate on their processors with an eye towards ensuring a consistent level of quality and endurance. Overclocking processors, in the view of the computer and chip manufacturers, compromises these quality guarantees.However, overclocking is better suited in situations where you build your own PC and have no warranty to begin with.

-Damaged Processors or Excessive Cooling:
When you overclock a processor, you push more electricity through it. This results in higher temperatures. Depending on the degree to which you overclock, this can require an investment in better cooling systems for your PC. The cooling system investment may negate the aforementioned cost savings, particularly if you choose liquid coolers. Failing to invest in an adequate cooling solution could lead to frequent computer crashes, or could even damage the CPU entirely.

Note:it's just an informative thread that i liked to share with this forum,nothing else intended...

01010010011010010110010001100001☯

Sponsored links

I like the info you gave. I also just want people to STOP suggesting that people simply overclock there CPU's when there games are running to slow. They make it sound like it's no big deal & a lot of people, not knowing any better, go into the BIOS & overclock the CPU, doing nothing else. This results in essentially frying there computer, which can cause more damage than just a burnt out CPU. Most people don't realize what's all involved in overclocking your CPU safely & I think it's reckless to suggest it. If someone has the full knowledge of how to overclock there CPU & what it requires, chances are they've either already tried overclocking, or know better than not to try it. So, for what it's worth, I really wish people would stop suggesting it. And if it is suggested, then I think the moderators should remove those suggestions from the threads, so some poor naïve person doesn't ruin there computer, just trying to get a little extra speed out of it.

And, for the record, I've done tech support for computers & I can tell you from personal experience, that A LOT of people do try to overlock there CPU's, not knowing what they're doing, and end up frying there computers. Computers don't always (and rarely do) just freeze up when it gets to hot, and unfortunately the damage is done
Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Geforce RTX 2060 6GB
32 GB DDR4 RAM
(12-29-2017, 11:54 PM)envisaged0ne Wrote: I like the info you gave.  I also just want people to STOP suggesting that people simply overclock there CPU's when there games are running to slow.  They make it sound like it's no big deal & a lot of people, not knowing any better, go into the BIOS & overclock the CPU, doing nothing else.  This results in essentially frying there computer, which can cause more damage than just a burnt out CPU.  Most people don't realize what's all involved in overclocking your CPU safely & I think it's reckless to suggest it.  If someone has the full knowledge of how to overclock there CPU & what it requires, chances are they've either already tried overclocking, or know better than not to try it.  So, for what it's worth, I really wish people would stop suggesting it.  And if it is suggested, then I think the moderators should remove those suggestions from the threads, so some poor naïve person doesn't ruin there computer, just trying to get a little extra speed out of it
ever since i joined this forum every newbie who asks for better emulation/speed on his pc everybody just responds "your machine is weak, go ahead and overclock your cpu, you'll just play around with the pc's BIOS and double up your speed!" and it happened alot recently so that's why i felt that i should post such thread, thanks for your compliment! Biggrin

(12-29-2017, 11:54 PM)envisaged0ne Wrote: And, for the record, I've done tech support for computers & I can tell you from personal experience, that A LOT of people do try to overlock there CPU's,  not knowing what they're doing, and end up frying there computers.  Computers don't always (and rarely do) just freeze up when it gets to hot, and unfortunately the damage is done

Very true....

(12-29-2017, 11:54 PM)envisaged0ne Wrote: I like the info you gave.  I also just want people to STOP suggesting that people simply overclock there CPU's when there games are running to slow.  They make it sound like it's no big deal & a lot of people, not knowing any better, go into the BIOS & overclock the CPU, doing nothing else.  This results in essentially frying there computer, which can cause more damage than just a burnt out CPU.  Most people don't realize what's all involved in overclocking your CPU safely & I think it's reckless to suggest it.  If someone has the full knowledge of how to overclock there CPU & what it requires, chances are they've either already tried overclocking, or know better than not to try it.  So, for what it's worth, I really wish people would stop suggesting it.  And if it is suggested, then I think the moderators should remove those suggestions from the threads, so some poor naïve person doesn't ruin there computer, just trying to get a little extra speed out of it.

And, for the record, I've done tech support for computers & I can tell you from personal experience, that A LOT of people do try to overlock there CPU's,  not knowing what they're doing, and end up frying there computers.  Computers don't always (and rarely do) just freeze up when it gets to hot, and unfortunately the damage is done

Interesting opinion.
Maybe one will find it interesting
As in you disagree with my opinion?
Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Geforce RTX 2060 6GB
32 GB DDR4 RAM
(12-30-2017, 12:08 AM)jesalvein Wrote: Interesting opinion.
Maybe one will find it interesting

well then we'd be glad if you give us your opinion and see who's gonna be interested in it....

(12-30-2017, 12:10 AM)envisaged0ne Wrote: As in you disagree with my opinion?

seems to be....but I really don't know why and what is wrong with what we wrote/suggested....

Over clocking is an suggestion not a requirement

CPUs have a finite lifespan anyways, that's what tolerance/engineering specs are for. It's hard to fry your PC over clocking unless you're really stupid. There are plenty of overrides that will shut down your PC before it gets too hot. You're more likely to run into an unstable OC and bluescreen before your CPU fries. I don't agree at all personally, not overclocking is like leaving money on the table.
(12-30-2017, 12:32 AM)CK1 Wrote: Over clocking is an suggestion not a requirement

CPUs have a finite lifespan anyways, that's what tolerance/engineering specs are for. It's hard to fry your PC over clocking unless you're really stupid. There are plenty of overrides that will shut down your PC before it gets too hot. You're more likely to run into an unstable OC and bluescreen before your CPU fries. I don't agree at all personally, not overclocking is like leaving money on the table.
i know how such process work really, but when you want to overclock your cpu you'll not just overclock it by like 0.25 GHz that will do nothing, plus their's a rule with every cpu on earth that every pc user must know: "Great CPU without any proper cooling is just trash" (i'm pretty sure that you know it), and when someone own a weak pc of course it doesn't mean that the pc's manufacturer gonna throw extensive cooling on it, it's probably like one heat pipe connected to one small fan....and how is that fan gonna deal with an over-powered,over-heated cpu?? I'm not saying that the idea is totally useless but judging the fact that their are disadvantages more than advantages of such step it's generally not recommended.
(i know i gave only 2 by 2 but trust me i can give tons more, those were just general ideas)

Exactly as X_Grave_X said. And AGAIN, from personal experience doing tech support, it's VERY common that people have fried there CPU's trying to overclock them. It's not nearly as rare as you might think. If you overclock your CPU without the proper cooling added, you're asking for a lot of trouble & it's just not worth it. You take your computer into a shop, or even to best buy's geek squad & tell them you tried to overclock your CPU, then they see that you fried it, they're gonna think you were pretty stupid to try it, & they won't be surprised by what happened
Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Geforce RTX 2060 6GB
32 GB DDR4 RAM