for those who are interested in cpu overclocking
ugh. my craptop still doesn't overclock nicely.

my cpu (15W) Laugh is first on the heatpipe, but i shouldn't and it doesn't need that much. even when cycles runs. my gpu (35W) is on the end of the pipe. which is the f*cking sh*t they put in those craptop boxes. can they just reverse the boards to flush the gpu heat first?

Sponsored links

(12-30-2017, 02:04 AM)dabore Wrote: ugh. my craptop still doesn't overclock nicely.

my cpu (15W) Laugh is first on the heatpipe, but i shouldn't and it doesn't need that much. even when cycles runs. my gpu (35W) is on the end of the pipe. which is the f*cking sh*t they put in those craptop boxes. can they just reverse the boards to flush the gpu heat first?

well you called it craptop,guess that's why it's designed as crap,but your pc(judging by what you said earlier) is not mainly focused on gaming so cooling is basic(not a priority), for basic data day usage you know, but if you own a freaking accer predator that beast packs 8 bloody fans on its mother board, and we both know why Tongue2

01010010011010010110010001100001☯
(12-30-2017, 12:32 AM)CK1 Wrote: Over clocking is an suggestion not a requirement

CPUs have a finite lifespan anyways, that's what tolerance/engineering specs are for. It's hard to fry your PC over clocking unless you're really stupid. There are plenty of overrides that will shut down your PC before it gets too hot. You're more likely to run into an unstable OC and bluescreen before your CPU fries. I don't agree at all personally, not overclocking is like leaving money on the table.

100% agree with what CK said.

Back in the day it was VERY easy to wreck a CPU by overclocking. But nowadays there are several failsafes in place to prevent that from happening(e.g. thermtrip, prochot). Also, in cases where we recommend it here I always recommend novices don't touch the voltage. If you don't touch the voltage the worst you will encounter is an unstable OC. Even if you set it so high your PC can't boot, almost all mobos will reset settings after 5 fail boots. Even if THAT doesn't exist you can reset the CMOS. It's very hard to kill your machine from overclocking in modern times. It CAN be done, but you almost have to be trying.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(12-30-2017, 12:58 AM)envisaged0ne Wrote: Exactly as X_Grave_X said.  And AGAIN, from personal experience doing tech support, it's VERY common that people have fried there CPU's trying to overclock them.  It's not nearly as rare as you might think.  If you overclock your CPU without the proper cooling added, you're asking for a lot of trouble & it's just not worth it.  You take your computer into a shop, or even to best buy's geek squad & tell them you tried to overclock your CPU, then they see that you fried it, they're gonna think you were pretty stupid to try it, & they won't be surprised by what happened
It will just throttle down from heat then and even shut down. You're also forgetting over voltage protection and other safety mechanisms.
CPU: I7-4770 3.9GHZ
Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS
RAM: Hyper X Savage 2x8GB 1.6GHZ CL9
GPU: GTX1070 8GB GDDR5
acer predator? that works for you? okay. get it. figure it out.
Oh an addendum to my post:

It IS true that overclocking a CPU will shorten it's lifespan. But unless you are running something RIDICULOUS it's likely that your CPU will be well and truly outdated before that becomes an issue. But it is true that you are trading lifespan for performance. However, that's a trade I am more than willing to make.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(12-30-2017, 02:47 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: 100% agree with what CK said.

Back in the day it was VERY easy to wreck a CPU by overclocking. But nowadays there are several failsafes in place to prevent that from happening(e.g. thermtrip, prochot). Also, in cases where we recommend it here I always recommend novices don't touch the voltage. If you don't touch the voltage the worst you will encounter is an unstable OC. Even if you set it so high your PC can't boot, almost all mobos will reset settings after 5 fail boots. Even if THAT doesn't exist you can reset the CMOS. It's very hard to kill your machine from overclocking in modern times. It CAN be done, but you almost have to be trying.
why the user overcllocks? because he owns a craptop..and you think that craptops have such fail safes and mechanisms, craptops can be either outdated ones or very cheap/Chinese ones which both have no such mechanisms, and the owner of it is a novice asking on the forum what to do,a combination of a novice and a craptop is deadly Tongue , I'm not saying that CK1 is wrong plz don't get me wrong....in the end when manufacturers put the cpu to a certain limit and create some fail safes they are doing it not just to be broken....I just posted about advantages and disadvantages of overclocking and ended up being in a rough discussion of everyone thinking himself being the god who knows everything, I was just trying to share some useful info and their is something wrong with my original post feel free correct it, but criticizing other people's opinions just because thinking that your opinion is always right is unfair of them and for yourself......

(12-30-2017, 02:48 AM)lightningterror Wrote: It will just throttle down from heat then and even shut down. You're also forgetting over voltage protection and other safety mechanisms.
throttling down from heating means laggy performance...... one of cpu voltage protection mechanism that you forgot is limiting the voltage to the cpu...

Even by the people that are ok with overclocking, thinking it won't cause a lot of damage, they're still acknowledging that problems will arise from it. Weather it throttles down, or freezes up before it fries the CPU, or the OC becomes unstable, then it shouldn't be recommended so freely in the forums. A lot of people that post questions here know little to nothing about computers & it's architecture. If it's recommended to OC the CPU, then clear instructions & warnings should be given as well. That's all I'm saying...Just please don't suggest it without people knowing the risks & what's all involved
Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Geforce RTX 2060 6GB
32 GB DDR4 RAM
With a simple google search you can find plenty of info online how to do it safely and properly. Heck you can even overclock with even undervolting, it's a win win in this scenario.
CPU: I7-4770 3.9GHZ
Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS
RAM: Hyper X Savage 2x8GB 1.6GHZ CL9
GPU: GTX1070 8GB GDDR5