fullscreen in dualview...
I have XP running in dualview and wounder why pcsx2 in fullscreen on secondary monitor (TV in my case) running so slow? What I do is ALT-Enter from the fullscreen and drag that window over to my secondary monitor and ALT-Enter again so I get fullscreen, running the latest pcsx2 with gsdx (DX9-SSE2). Maybe its something in XP who restrict the hardware to operate in fullspeed?

Sponsored links

set multidisplay performance mode to single display in nvcp (if using an nvidia card)
Sorry, yeah its an nvidia gpu and I thought maybe it could be the magic trick but sorry to say it didn't work for me. So I did some test and will do some more, if I can get only an OpenGL-plugin to operate properly in fullscreen on second monitor (In the test with OpenGL, I drag the window to second monitor and ALT-Enter but get fullscreen on first monitor.)

So I get curious because I often watch movies on the secondary monitor without experience big problems.

Tested with MPC-HC and drag an 720p movie running (with dxav enabled) and from testresults it look like gsdx can't re-establishes with new connections pins or what it calls. And consume more cpu/(unsure if gpu use more resources too) and I think pins is still set monitor0(?) now I don't know how exactly DirectX works.

So the test:
MPC-HC movie Surface/windows on monitor0
[doesn't consume so much resources ~ cpu 3-5%]

MPC-HC movie Surface/windows 80% on monitor0 and 20% on monitor1
[consume a little more resources ~ cpu 20-25%]

MPC-HC movie Surface/windows 20% on monitor0 and 80% on monitor1
[consume a little more resources ~ cpu 20-25%]

MPC-HC movie Surface/windows on monitor1
[doesn't consume so much resources ~ cpu 3-5%]

But while I drag the movie surface it went black shorter then 1sec and come back, like it re-establishes when the surface was over >50% monitor0.

So I did a new test but with a really big windows/surface of gsdx and drag it over to the second monitor, but what it happen was when the surface was over 1% on the second monitor, the cpu increased. Even then the whole surface was over on the second monitor the CPU was still high and without any short black flash that could indicate an re-establishes had been made(?) in DirectX for monitor1.

anyhow, maybe i do something wrong with pcsx2.
nice test. still i think this a known old xp multimon driver quirk. i experienced it myself. most programs render to primary. and primary created 3d surfaces don't render well moved to secondary if not explicitly set as secondary. for accelerated videos and maybe cause the player does set it up, it works most of it all. for games and most programs this not the case. but you know... it sure works if you switch your tv to primary to play. Wink
I've had the same issue, also with nv gpu (also with other 3D games, not just with PCSX2). It was improved greatly by using DVI cables for both displays (main monitor always used DVI, but for secondary I had a VGA cable). It's still slightly slower on the secondary display, but much better than before.
avih, on XP?

i could understand that, the driver handled most of the multidisplay acceleration stuff while under Vista and 7 the compositor handles multimonitor itself.
(06-06-2012, 04:25 AM)Squall Leonhart Wrote: avih, on XP?

I don't recall if I moved the 2nd display to DVI before or after moving from XP to 7. Still worth a try IMO.
xstyla, you describe it very well the problem related to dualview in XP and if i switch secondary monitor who is in my case the tv as primary then i guess it will work as it should. (in backmind that pins will set the TV(monitor0) as primary surface to draw then) So thanks for the tip around the problem as temporary solution. ^^

Squall Leonhart: so you mean Vista and newer OS handles dualview better and set pins automatic if an accelerated surface detects on secondary monitor or the third one and set it to the right? but only if the source code doesn't directly say anything other I guess. anyhow get curious to test pcsx2 on win7 machine and see the different how dualview is handled but it will be later test. Smile

I did one more test, but now with Summer Forest who is an sreensaver from 3D Planesoft.

Monitor0 running in fullscreen ~ cpu 3-4%, no lag.
Monitor1 running in fullscreen ~ cpu 3-4%, no lag.

But If i do this with GDSX in fullscreen on Monitor1 i got a little bit higher cpu use but more worse is the high drop of fps, from ~60fps(monitor0) to peddling between ~23-30fps. (monitor1)

So I come up with an idea, why not do an option from "GS Window" dialog an dropdown list there you can choice which monitor should establishes an accelerated surface on. this should solve some of the problems on an easy way i think, except the drag thing of course cus then I think there must be more advance code for that to work. And if there is only one monitor then this droplist should been grayed out.

Another question, how acting the option "Fit to the Window/Screen" related to bios option 16:9 (widescreen)? I got an feeling sometime in few ps2 cutscene/movies i got letterbox inserted from pcsx2 while the core(the game itself drawing smaller too then usually does in 4:3) and resulting an shrink cutscene.
I'm saying Accelerated multimonitor support was driver driven in NT5 where as its managed by the desktop window manager in Vista and 7.