hardware vertical resolution halved
Something I've noticed in a few games (Spongebob Squarepants the Movie, PacMan World Rally, Blood Will Tell) but there are many more is that while native resolution is exactly the same in software and hardware mode, enabling 2x resolution in hardware only doubles the horizontal resolution and leaves the vertical resolution unchanged (confirmed in an image editor). 3x only gets it half way there and you have to go to 4x to get a real vertical resolution doubling. Other games (Spongebob Squarepants Battle for Bikini Bottom) do not have this issue and 2x is enough to get almost HD graphics. I can understand this with games that interlace as their vertical resolution is half but these games don't interlace but the effect is the same and the graphics card is running a needlessly high resolution for potentially some sort of rendering bug. I'm surprised nobody else has noticed this as its been the case for at least since 1.4.0. I can post images if need be.

Sponsored links

Sure I guess you can post pictures of your findings.
(10-30-2020, 01:18 AM)CK1 Wrote: Sure I guess you can post pictures of your findings.

Here are some images. The first shows SpongeBob movie one of the games that has the issue and you'll notice 2x gives tall pixels so there is no change in vertical resolution, you have to use 3x to get the right effect. The second is SpongeBob Battle for Bikini Bottom where setting 2x actually does double the resolution as you expect. The images attach in the wrong order here the second shows the problem.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Can you try the large framebuffer option when upscaling?
(10-31-2020, 04:51 AM)CK1 Wrote: Can you try the large framebuffer option when upscaling?

Ok I wasn't expecting anything as I'd tried everything but on closer look it switched it. So vertical resolution is doubled but horizontal is not so the pixels are now wide instead of tall. I tried the other games with the large frame buffer and Blood Will Tell does the same (vertical fine horizontal halved) but Pacman World Rally seems completely fixed. I attached a screenshot of Spongebob. Personally I think its much better but still not working as expected. Curious how enlarging the frame buffer has this effect I thought it just allowed the storage of more textures with the palettes applied?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Do I need to post the bug on GitHub or will it be picked up from here?