help a new user
Hello

8 years ago i had my first daughter and we changed the gamerroom to be hers. Since then i havent had a computer. That is about to change and i was hoping you could help me.

My plans is to buy a computer for gaming/htpc/emulator.

What i plan to buy is:
APU: ryzen 5 2400g
Motherboard: asrock b450m steel legend
Memory: hyperx fury 2x8gb (3200mhz)
Ssd: intel ssd 660p

Can i expect this to be fine for emulating different kinds of consoles ?

Then i need a wireless keyboard and mouse for gaming and then i need a wireless controller (would prefer the dualshock 4 i already have but without having to reconnect between the pc and the playstation 4)

Any suggestions for keyboard, mouse and controller ?

Sponsored links

As far as HTPC and Emulator setup goes for a couch emulator\htpc computer the Rii wireless keyboards are a simple, small, and functional way to do all that without needing the space that a traditional mouse and keyboard need and look fine in a living room amongst other remote controls. They are not really good for keyboard and mouse PC gaming though, but there are not many great options for that from a couch.
A PS4\xbox360\xbox1 controller is generally fine (pick the one you personally like) and easy to setup, but if you want to play preasure sensitive ps2 games then a ps3 controller with scptoolkit is probably the best option (though it is a bit more fiddly to setup then the others)

If you do not want to enhance (change internal resolutions,AA,AF,texture replacement packs,ect.) too much then 2400g has an ok igpu, but if you want to be able to have high resolutions and other enhancements you might want a discrete GPU. Something like a GTX 1050ti would greatly increase the options you have available to change without tanking performance, allow for higher end ekulators to work a bit better, and increase both the native pc games you can run and how well they run. Also the GPU market is not doing great right now for AMD and especially Nvidia so there are some nice deals on card prices.

The CPU is generally fine for a lot of systems, though newer emulators are subject to heavy changes in requirements as they mature. But like everything in emulation it will depend on the emulator and the game you want to emulate as far as exact performance will go. Also emulators for PS3 and WiiU are becomming more GPU dependent then previous generations so the iGPU might become more of a bottleneck for the system then the CPU. Anything PS1 era or older should be great (just find the emulator you like the best), PS2\GC,Wii\DC should be mostly fine with some edge case games not working at 100% speed. Newer generation emulation will be more of a mixed bag.
hmm the 1050ti is much better ?

I was reading the 2400g almost had same gpu performance as 1050ti. I was trying to make it 100% passive cooled but didnt find a power supply though. The 1050ti was the best passively cooled gpu i could find but when i saw the 2400g almost had same performance i thought i would go for that and then upgrade to a better gpu with a fan on if i needed that.
That will be a great option to do. The GPU can be easily be upgraded without too much hassle with the exception of the drivers. To start things off, buying a 1050Ti would be the best option then upgrade as you needed.
PC Specs:
PC: HP Omen 15 dc-0051nr laptop
CPU: Intel i7-8750H (2.2 GHz up to 4.1 GHz)
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 Notebook (6 GB)
Storage: 256 SSD PCi NV M.2+1 TB HDD
Need the latest GIT/development build? Click here!
If the iGPU of the 2400g is indeed the same as the 1050Ti he might aswell keep the 2400g and eventually later buy an upgrade as in for example 1070 or what not.
A major downside is OpenGL won't be usable with the IGPU.
CPU: I7-4770 3.9GHZ
Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS
RAM: Hyper X Savage 2x8GB 1.6GHZ CL9
GPU: GTX1070 8GB GDDR5
The 1050 Ti is a good budget option but that's what it is to me, a budget option. If you're running on a tight budget, sure, it will give you some room to upscale to 2x or 3x, maybe even 4x on a good day, but you may run into problems if you try to push it further.

Yes, parts are replaceable but imo that's not as economic in the long run as just biting the bullet and getting a nicer option up front. Again, imo, and budgets do exist.

For reference, here's a comparison I did of one of the best iGPUs you can find in an 8th gen Intel Core series CPU, with the GTX 1050 Ti and a GTX 1060. Regardless of GPU choice, it is pretty clear that any (modern) discrete GPU will kick the pants clean off of any iGPU.
[Image: i97SXLs.png]
For the Vega 11 it would be more fair to say it is closer to a gt 1030 in raw performance, but that is in pure rendering power (actually in just pure rendering performance it is a little faster then the 1030). The biggest difference comes when you also take into account memory performance. GDDR memory is faster then the more general DDR memory even when it is put on a GPU (this is why you should never never never buy a GPU with DDR memory you will cut a large amount of performance from a GDDR variant). So yes AMD did make a really nice iGPU that is better then intel's UHD, but against dedicated memory it comes closer to a r7 250x even though the chipset is much more powerful. This is under good conditions and does not take into account that the iGPU will be sharing memory with the rest of the system and performance could be even more impacted.

The other reason I recommended the 1050 ti was that it has 4GB of VRAM and honestly if you want to play more recent native PC games 4GB is the lowest I would recommend (unless you were getting a card for free or really cheap used). You could also go for one of the AMD RX based cards, like has been mentioned OpenGL is not their strong suite though for native gaming they are generally fine and any emulator with Vulkan or DirectX they will also do just fine. OpenGL only, or emulators where OpenGL is the better backend (like PCSX2) would be an issue, but mainly limiting how much you could push the graphics compared to a Nvidia card with the same general performance.

You can always start off just using the iGPU, just keep in mind that in emulators you will be more limited in how far you can push them and some emulators it might limit what games run at full speed. For native PC gaming I would not really push past 720p in games much more demanding then CS:GO or LoL and would keep texture quality lower since memory performance will be worse the higher the resolution and the higher the textures you use, though things like AA,AF and other processing based settings should be more performance free for that iGPU then on intel's.
Uhm Vega 11 (I got a Polaris 10 or 11 I forgot and that card is already faster then a 1050 and in some cases faster then the 1060 and in very rare cases 1070) Vega is definetly faster then the Polaris.
Vega 11 is the name of the iGPU in 2nd gen Ryzen 2400G
Vega 10 is the highend moble iGPU for mobile Ryzen
Vega 8 is the iGPU in the 2200G and announced lower end mobile APUs

As for why AMD names things they way they do... Not sure, but a discrete Polaris GPU is in most cases going to be faster then an iGPU based on newer GCN due to the reasons above. You are right that the Vega 56\64\VII should all be faster then the 1050\1050ti\1060 with some cards faster then the 1070 and the newest trading blows with the 1080.