help in upgrading the pc...
(04-20-2015, 08:21 PM)bomblord Wrote: The difference between a 2.0 and a 3.0 slot is about 2-3 fps and they are backwards compatible. Larger GPU's with massive amounts of VRAM and games that have massively sized textures probably have a bigger difference though.

Still, that's with high-tier cards say from the GTX 960/270X up.

God-tier cards, you already have hardware that has PCI-Express 3.0 compatibility.
Moe: [to Homer] And I'm pulling your favorite song out of the jukebox.
Homer: "It's Raining Men"?!
Moe: Yeah, not no more, it ain't. [throws the record out the window which lands into Smithers' car]
Smithers: Ow! [looks at the record] Ohhh.

what would ;e; do

Sponsored links

the decrease in speed on My GTX-750Ti was pretty high when using a lower slot. though, the difference wouldn't be much in low end cards like GT-X10-X40 series.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
This will probably help it's 2 years old at this point so the difference is probably more pronounced with newer cards in general this should still hold true.

[Image: pic_disp.php?id=25612&width=601]

[Image: pic_disp.php?id=25617&width=601]

This is using a GTX Titan. All Hardware aside from the mobo stayed the same.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articl...mance-518/
(04-21-2015, 02:37 PM)bomblord Wrote: This will probably help it's 2 years old at this point so the difference is probably more pronounced with newer cards in general this should still hold true.

This is using a GTX Titan. All Hardware aside from the mobo stayed the same.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articl...mance-518/

That's barely a 1fps even in an x8 slot.
Moe: Yeah, not no more, it ain't. [throws the record out the window which lands into Smithers' car]

what would ;e; do
it makes a larger difference if you measure the performance with any benchmarking tool. try it Wink
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
(04-21-2015, 03:59 PM)ssakash Wrote: it makes a larger difference if you measure the performance with any benchmarking tool. try it Wink

(04-21-2015, 03:59 PM)ssakash Wrote: benchmarking

(04-21-2015, 03:59 PM)ssakash Wrote: benchmarking

Anyways...

what would ;e; do
err.. I meant to try it in power measuring benchmarks tools like Passmark rather than testing them on games and benchmarking them. Tongue2
- Refraction
(04-21-2015, 05:22 PM)ssakash Wrote: err.. I meant to try it in power measuring benchmarks tools like Passmark rather than testing them on games and benchmarking them. Tongue2

eh decent point

Either way, the average person buying a GPU doesn't give two sh*ts about benchmarks on different PCI-Express ports. All they'll care is how it does in games.

what would ;e; do
The pcie 3.0 is near useless, period, the mobos with pcie 2.0 are still good actually, you are talking of a mid-range setup so we don't care at all.
i5 2500k@4,9ghz / Gtx980 Msi Gaming / 2x SSD Samsung 840pro 256gb / Acer Predator 24" G-sync
Corsair K95 RGB / Logitech G502 Proteus Core / Bose Companion 2 Serie III
Old JRPG fan, experienced mmo player, PC hardware expert
PCI Express 3.0 is only activatet with Nvidia cards when you have a 3xxx CPU or higher from intel.....