i7 920 - Should I be able to run at higher resolutions?
My i7 is clocked at 3.25Ghz, and I'm currently getting around 30-40 fps in FFX12 with an internal resolution of 1024x1024. Resident Evil 4 is even worse, whereas Persona 4 runs quite well. With native resolution, I get somewhere around 70 FPS. Also, when running software mode I get about 80 FPS. Since I'm utilising 7 threads, my cpu runs at about 95% load as opposed to 13-15% in hardware mode. Also, I tried the ZeroGS plugin with no luck.

I DO have a ***** graphics card though, a Radeon HD3650. This is because my computer is used mainly as a workstation for music production. Could this be what's slowing me down?

Sponsored links

(05-16-2009, 03:03 PM)arnethorvald Wrote: I DO have a ***** graphics card though, a Radeon HD3650. This is because my computer is used mainly as a workstation for music production. Could this be what's slowing me down?

Yes. This is your problem, 100% sure and for certain. ATIs run FFXII very poorly (although FPS in-game improves after the opening scenes and tutorial).

To KrazyTrumpeter05: Apologies for deleted post. I meant to just delete my own post and re-do it, but clicked the wrong 'X' >_<
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
Yeah, you're right the 3650 sucks.

Get a GTX275 or something. I mean, an i7 and a 3650.... What a bottleneck.
AMD Phenom II 940 @ 3.6GHZ, 4GB PC8500 @ 1100MHZ, 4870x2 @ Stock.
(05-16-2009, 03:12 PM)Air Wrote:
(05-16-2009, 03:03 PM)arnethorvald Wrote: I DO have a ***** graphics card though, a Radeon HD3650. This is because my computer is used mainly as a workstation for music production. Could this be what's slowing me down?

Yes. This is your problem, 100% sure and for certain. ATIs run FFXII very poorly (although FPS in-game improves after the opening scenes and tutorial).

To KrazyTrumpeter05: Apologies for deleted post. I meant to just delete my own post and re-do it, but clicked the wrong 'X' >_<

Remembered what I posted!

Try running GSDx in DX10 software mode and set the SW Render threads to 6 or 7. That will pretty much take full advantage of your processors power and take the GPU almost entirely out of the equation. This should let you play everything fairly smoothly, but I think you're stuck playing at native resolution. There is an anti-aliasing option for GSDx software mode that might help clean up the picture, though.
www.twitch.tv/krazytrumpeter05
Want to stream your games? Let me know and I can help you get set up with Open Broadcaster Software.
(05-16-2009, 04:27 PM)KrazyTrumpeter05 Wrote:
(05-16-2009, 03:12 PM)Air Wrote:

Remembered what I posted!

Try running GSDx in DX10 software mode and set the SW Render threads to 6 or 7. That will pretty much take full advantage of your processors power and take the GPU almost entirely out of the equation. This should let you play everything fairly smoothly, but I think you're stuck playing at native resolution. There is an anti-aliasing option for GSDx software mode that might help clean up the picture, though.

Yes, thank you, I have already done this but want to play at higher resolutions.
Well, with that graphics card your answer is no. Using the software AA should essentially do the same thing, which is why I suggested it.
Want to stream your games? Let me know and I can help you get set up with Open Broadcaster Software.
So, to enable AA do I just select "Edge anti-aliasing (AA1)" ?
Yes. But don't expect a massive increase in image quality. It helps, but it's not the fix you are looking for as it's only basic AA.
ATI HD.3650 has lack of bandwith because only has ddr2 ram. That why you can not gain high res. Without sacrifice your cpu performance.
Notebook ASUS A43TA|CPU AMD Llano APU A6-3400m Triple core (1 core disable) OC to 2.6+Ghz|GPU CF|HD 6520 400Mhz/667Mhz iGPU|HD6650M OC 780Mhz/985Mhz dGPU|RAM 8GB DDR3 1333|Windows 7 Ultimate Sp.1 x64 bit.
>> Emulation speed differs for each game. There will be some you can run fast easily, but others will simply require more powerfull hardware <<.
AA1 is sw mode only, and only when the game uses it.