internal resolution
from my understanding internal res. uses primarily the gpu so i have a nvidia 540m but can only achieve 2x IR while playing GOW and it still be playable if i go to 3x it works until there is a lot of action then it drops down to around 35 fps back to 2x no problem just wanted to know if it was my gpu that is holding me back or that sounds about right for my setup

cpu: i5 2410m 2.7ghz turbo in dual core (2.9 in single but no relevant)
gpu: 1gb 540m

if you need to know its a dell xps l702x thanks for any help or advice

Sponsored links

(06-04-2012, 07:31 PM)silvers46 Wrote: from my understanding internal res. uses primarily the gpu so i have a nvidia 540m but can only achieve 2x IR while playing GOW and it still be playable if i go to 3x it works until there is a lot of action then it drops down to around 35 fps back to 2x no problem just wanted to know if it was my gpu that is holding me back or that sounds about right for my setup

cpu: i5 2410m 2.7ghz turbo in dual core (2.9 in single but no relevant)
gpu: 1gb 540m

if you need to know its a dell xps l702x thanks for any help or advice

I have similar specifications except that I'm using Nvidia GT 555m. It is nothing to do with the graphic card I think. Well...Maybe it has, but not as much as you think. I can only play at 2xnative at most (as well). 2xnative is probably close to 1280x720, while 3x is probably somewhere around 1600x900. Your system can't handle modern titles (such as crysis 2, etc) at 1600x900, correct? probably that's the reason why you can't run 3xnative smoothly.

That's just my assumption though. I only started using PCSX2 about a month ago, perhaps more experience users or the developers can explain better Smile
cpu: i5-2410m | gpu: Nvidia GT 555m 2GB | mem: 4 GB
You understand correctly. Higher resolution requires better GPU (and more GPU RAM, and faster GPU buses).
ok thanks thats what i thought it just looks so much better at 3x but i guess you get what you pay for no big just more curious than anything thanks again
You can try FXAA antialiasing which some perceive as improved visual quality (me amongst them), while others think it blurs the image. Toggle with Page-Up. It's relatively light on the GPU.
(06-04-2012, 07:58 PM)silvers46 Wrote: ok thanks thats what i thought it just looks so much better at 3x but i guess you get what you pay for no big just more curious than anything thanks again

Maybe this is a bit irrelevant but while 3-4x native "technically" (or marginally speaking ... depends on your taste really) gives near perfect/perfect picture quality for emulating PS2, only some games may benefited from it.

For example, I tried to play GoW2 with 4xnative just for fun. The background environment looks pretty much the same as 2x (there might be some microscopic differences if you really want to see them), but Kratos still looks pretty jaggy/rough even in 4x, using hardware anti-aliasing remedies to a certain extent but it is prone to graphical glitches, plus hardware anti-aliasing is not cheap -- performance-wise. On the other hand, Onimusha Dawn of Dreams looks spectacular in 4x compared to 2x (2x or 720p is good already but for this case 4x offers better result for the image quality).

Resident Evil 4 actually is a rare example. Using HW AA in this game gives no graphical glitches or whatsoever; kudos to the developers Smile
My system (similar to yours with slightly better graphic) can pull RE4 with 720p and 2x HW AA no problem. Oddly FXAA gives no "visible" difference at all (perhaps because of the overall colour palette). So I think yours should not have a problem as well.
cpu: i5-2410m | gpu: Nvidia GT 555m 2GB | mem: 4 GB
(06-04-2012, 07:31 PM)silvers46 Wrote: ... just wanted to know if it was my gpu that is holding me back or that sounds about right for my setup

Yeah--
Your GPU is holding you back at that point.
And that level of resolution sounds about right for the unit/game.

You could try a little GPU overclocking.
You would see the improvement in FPS when your GPU is hitting it's limit.

Do be careful, though--
You can cause damage if you're not cautious.
thanks for all the replies its all good i tried forcing fxaa under nvidia control panel didnt see much difference but ill try with page up aswell i can live with 2x im happy with just being able to play thanks devs and thanks again for all the replies