iso cpu usage
Okay, well I was wondering if anyone knows whether or not loading from an iso on your HD will take up more cpu than loading iso from the Dvd drive. Most parts of the game I am trying to play run at 60 fps until it reaches a point in which it starts consuming 99% of my cpu and only plays 40-50 fps, so I'm hoping that the utilizing the DVD drive will take more strain off my cpu and shoot me up another couple fps......

Any ideas?

Sponsored links

It's the same in terms of CPU load. Although, loading iso from HDD will significantly reduce the loading time. What you're experiencing is a bottleneck. Assuming you mean 99% at the top of the game window, that would be your GPU hitting its limit. If you mean from the task manager, then that would be your CPU hitting its limit.
Nappa: Vegeta! What does the scouter say about his power level?
Vegeta: It's...one thousand and six.
Nappa: Wh-...really?
Vegeta: Yeah! Beat him up Nappa!
Nappa: Yay!
oh man, why does it say CPU on top instead of GPU....I'm running on an old Geforce 6150LE. Should I get a new gfx card or is there a way for me to tweak it outside of pcsx2 because I've already got texture filtering off....

I added an additional 2 gigs of memory and it gave me a decent increase of +5 fps on avg.

.....I tried using AMD overdrive and OCed my proccessor (which is only supposed to max out at a core temperature of 65 celsius) running FFXII and the temperature skyrocketed from 26c to 83c *cries*
a geforce6? holy .....
i think your cpu is old as well, isnt it?
you added 2 gigs? does it mean you have now 4? but let me guess... you have a 32-bit OS... this means you only can use 3,23 (?) gb RAM...
you should buy yourself a new pc, if you can afford it.
Intel is the best for pcsx2 (beaucause of SSE 4 and SSSE 3), but AMD does it job quite well too Wink
A GPU should be an ATI, cause its the best on market at time... and you support AMD and help them to get out of red.

but in the end its your decision
(11-13-2009, 08:33 AM)sephirothine Wrote: oh man, why does it say CPU on top instead of GPU....I'm running on an old Geforce 6150LE. Should I get a new gfx card or is there a way for me to tweak it outside of pcsx2 because I've already got texture filtering off....

Well the CPU% in GSdx window is supposed to say how much power the GSdx thread is using on your CPU, the thing is since the plugin uses both GPU and CPU and can be bottlenecked by either like in this case the GPU is bottlenecking GSdx, it'll stall the CPU making it show that 99% behavior because it cant process stuff until the GPU is done first I suppose.

With that GPU it's possible that you get more speed using the Direct3D9 (Software) renderer, but yeah it'd be best if you get a new GPU but take in count PCSX2 needs both a good CPU and GPU so unless you have a good CPU as well you might just end up leaving a slowdown problem to get into another. (The geforce 61xx however doesnt really help anything in any pc tho)
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
Yeah, my computer was made in 05, my mobo only allows 3 gigs of ram.

I installed a an amd 2x 6500...it was previously a 4000... I don't really need more than 3 gigs of ram so I'm not really up on buying a new pc yet(she runs pretty well imo). I think I'll just get a new gfx card. Can anyone suggest a decent graphics card that will increase my gaming performance without breaking the bank?

2.5 ghz dual core 2 mb L2 cache is a decent enough cpu no?
I guess it will also help to know what kind of CPU you are running? And you should not be OC'ing if you are getting those kinds of temps. Are you using the stock heatsink/fan? In most cases, you don't OC your CPU on a stock fan. Especially if it yields those kinds of temps. Also be sure that you are not putting stress on your Mainboard.
Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro Retina 15' | Intel Core i7-4850HQ @ 2.3-3.5Ghz | Optimus Powered nVidia Geforce GT 750M (2GB GDDR5) + Intel Iris Pro Graphics | 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RAM | Intel HD Audio | Apple Magic Trackpad | Samsung 512GB PCI-E Based SSD |
I usually dont get those temperatures when I overclock, even during most gaming experiences it only rises to about 60ish. My heatsink is fairly high-end and I just re-did the thermal grease because I installed a new cpu, as I said it was an amd x2 6500.

I don't have a terminal for another fan so I removed 2 from an old computer and rigged them up to a 12 v DC and anchored them facing the heatsink components and the cpu. It's running at about 58c overclocked playing FFXII now which is a ton better but no really performance increase. I definitely need a new GPU but I don't want to spend more than 100$ on it~
Well after doing some research, the AMD Athlon X2 6500+ clocks at 2.3GHZ stock. It should be stable at 3GHZ with minor voltage bumps. Anything higher than that may not be stable without unsafe voltages. Be aware though that increasing voltage and or clock speed will increase heat on the CPU. If you are using the stock cooler, you MUST remove it and install an aftermarket cooler if you plan on OC'ing your CPU.

The stock fan is not designed to cool the CPU past it's stock speeds. Be aware to also correctly apply the new thermal paste and DO NOT go cheap on the paste. (AS 5 does the trick and shaves off 5-10c on avg) Might I suggest the Zalman 9000 series coolers. They are a bit on the large side, but they do an amazing job cooling your CPU. You will definitely get improved results on PCSX2 with your CPU OC'ed. 3GB of ram is also plenty.

As for the GPU, I am not a big fan of ATI. But their 4800 and 5700+ series can mainly get the job done. If you prefer Nvidia, (as well as I do.) you can get the Geforce 9600 series or even the 8800GT or GTS 512MB. I have the older 8800 GTS 320MB version, but it can still handle PCSX2 games well. I also increase resolution as well as tack on AA. First thing to do is be sure weather your Mainboard has the older AGP bus or the newer PCI-Express bus. PCI-Express will open the window to a plethora of GPU's.
Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro Retina 15' | Intel Core i7-4850HQ @ 2.3-3.5Ghz | Optimus Powered nVidia Geforce GT 750M (2GB GDDR5) + Intel Iris Pro Graphics | 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RAM | Intel HD Audio | Apple Magic Trackpad | Samsung 512GB PCI-E Based SSD |
58C is a little high. Especially when your CPU isn't on full load 100%. I would suggest running OCCT 3.0 and monitor temps for a few hours. Ideally, you should keep temps below 50-55c. You can have a ton of airflow onto the case, but if the CPU heatsink/fan can't push out enough air, it will still be hot. Also remember, not *all* CPU's will be an overclocker's dream.