just wondering, Bards Tale
so last time i checked which was around version 1.1-1.2 of pcsx2 i think, bards tale didnt run very well if at all. i was just wondering if thats changed at all with version 1.4? ((which is the most current version as far as i know))

btw sorry if this is in the wrong place or anything. wasnt sure where to ask this.

Sponsored links

Actually I would give it a try.
It appeared to have the famous half-screen bug and needs the sw mode as well as the 4GB patch. Very similar problems to the ones snowblind engine games showed. The half-screen bug in snowblind games was recently resolved.

Depending on your hw you could always play in sw mode but maybe it even works in hw.
oh very nice ill have to give it a try.

on a side note what is the 4gb patch? where would i get it? how would i apply it? and would i still need it since the snowblind games bug was resolved? im really very inept at these kinds of things so sorry if im being a pain. lol.

Edit: okay tried it out. didnt play for long so im unsure about the long term on the game. however it did play. there were some graphical errors with the opening stuff. the logo's of who makes it and what not. and in hw mode it only runs at about 50 fps. but in software mode i got to moving around and what not all at 60 fps. didnt do any combat or anything im in the middle of playing another game right now. but its already a hell of alot better than the last time i tried the game. last time couldnt even get to moving around. this is all without the 4GB patch as far as i know. unless its just included in the 1.4.0 version of pcsx2. but thank you for letting me know to try the game. at first glance it seems to be worth it. still would like to know about this 4GB patch though.
Use latest git version of GSdx. And try to enable this hidden option "UserHacks_DisablePartialInvalidation = 1" with HW hack. It will greatly reduce memory requirement. If you enable 8 bits texture, the required memory will even be smaller.

Someone need to add the option in the Windows GUI.

Edit: and forget the 4GB patch. It is on by default on git build.
thank you alot gregory. ill give those a try. at least the 8 bit texture suggestion. i have no clue how to enable the hidden option and hopefully wont have to.
(04-20-2016, 06:05 PM)Jasperfoust Wrote: i have no clue how to enable the hidden option and hopefully wont have to.

You just add the UserHacks_DisablePartialInvalidation=1 line to the GSdx.ini file (open with Notepad) located in <PCSX2 folder>\inis\ , and check the "Enable HW Hacks" checkbox in GSdx settings.

I don't have the PS2 version of The Bard's Tale to test, but in other Snowblind engine games (e.g. Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, Champions: Return to Arms) this option increases performance dramatically (potentially by 50% or more: before | after) - it may be enough for you to get full speed in hardware mode.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit | Intel Core i7 4770 @ 3.4GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Titanium 8GB
Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3, 1866MHz @ 9-10-9-27 | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo | Samsung S23A700D
@Dreadmoth did you enable 8 bits texture too ? By the way, you might want to try without MTVU. GS is likely too slow to be useful.
(04-20-2016, 06:48 PM)gregory Wrote: @Dreadmoth did you enable 8 bits texture too ? By the way, you might want to try without MTVU. GS is likely too slow to be useful.

Allow 8-Bit Textures was enabled (other settings used + widescreen hack enabled).

Without MTVU (nice tip, thanks Smile )
Windows 10 Home 64-bit | Intel Core i7 4770 @ 3.4GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Titanium 8GB
Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3, 1866MHz @ 9-10-9-27 | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo | Samsung S23A700D
Hum, you could also try to set Blending accuracy set to the first level (basic). It could be faster on some games.
simple enough and very good to know. ill have to do that then. thank you all very much. this has all been very helpful. and i assume this all applies to dark alliance and champions of norath as well?