low fps = everyone sounds drunk
my computer (Intel Pentium E6700 @ 3.20GHz oc'd to 3.8ghz 2 gigs ram 32 bit windows 7 and 512MB GeForce 8400 GS) can play .hack//infection almost perfectly (aka at 50fps almost all the time) but when it gets to a laggy area (lots of spells and stuff being slung around etc) and the fps gets blow 45 everything just sounds drunk and robotic
is there anyway to make the emulator skip frames when fps gets low instead of slowing the game down in order to fit them in? cause i can live with that up to a point but drunken characters... nope :/

also i read that apparently the ps2 processor is 128 bit or something but the data (meh..) is 32 bit just packaged up as 128bit (4 streams of 32 bit i think it said) (quad core emulation anyone?) and its clocked at just under 300 mhz
would i get better results if i get the 64 bit edition of windows 7 (or wait for 128 bit os's to come out :3) and/or a quad core?
(please tell me if someone has been bsing)

Sponsored links

Your vgacard become bottleneck. Try with native res and allow8bit texture checked.
Notebook ASUS A43TA|CPU AMD Llano APU A6-3400m Triple core (1 core disable) OC to 2.6+Ghz|GPU CF|HD 6520 400Mhz/667Mhz iGPU|HD6650M OC 780Mhz/985Mhz dGPU|RAM 8GB DDR3 1333|Windows 7 Ultimate Sp.1 x64 bit.
>> Emulation speed differs for each game. There will be some you can run fast easily, but others will simply require more powerfull hardware <<.
(08-27-2011, 02:26 PM)heero yuy79 Wrote: also i read that apparently the ps2 processor is 128 bit or something but the data (meh..) is 32 bit just packaged up as 128bit (4 streams of 32 bit i think it said) (quad core emulation anyone?) and its clocked at just under 300 mhz
would i get better results if i get the 64 bit edition of windows 7 (or wait for 128 bit os's to come out :3) and/or a quad core?
(please tell me if someone has been bsing)

youre BS'ing Tongue

you cant increase the "bits" by adding cores. The PS2 used primerilarly 64bit instructions, however the VU's and some multimedia (mmxish) instructions used 128bits, most of which is already handled with SSE (which uses the 128bit lengths).

as above, your cpu is fine, but your graphics card is holding you back. You could try overclocking the memory on it i guess.. but its slow.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(08-27-2011, 02:57 PM)refraction Wrote: youre BS'ing Tongue

you cant increase the "bits" by adding cores. The PS2 used primerilarly 64bit instructions, however the VU's and some multimedia (mmxish) instructions used 128bits, most of which is already handled with SSE (which uses the 128bit lengths).

as above, your cpu is fine, but your graphics card is holding you back. You could try overclocking the memory on it i guess.. but its slow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotion_Engine
Contrary to popular belief, the Emotion Engine is not a 128-bit processor as it does not process a single 128-bit value, but a group of four 32-bit values that are stored in one 128-bit register. (under vector processing units second paragraph)

as for the graphics card i am trying to get a new one and it is overclocked via expertool (its basic but i know nothing about graphics card overclocking unless the 20% overclock i did in the bios via jumperfree config (that has also upped the base clock speed of the ram) has also overclocked the graphics card)
but how is a new graphics card going to stop everything sounding drunk when my fps nosedives? (cause it most likely will but not as much)
This game is less demanding for cpu power, even with my notebook with crappy intel cpu at 2.53Ghz inside, i can run this game at FULL speed but *hint* i have more power GPU rather than yours even my GPU is for Notebook user (HD 5730) *hint*.
Notebook ASUS A43TA|CPU AMD Llano APU A6-3400m Triple core (1 core disable) OC to 2.6+Ghz|GPU CF|HD 6520 400Mhz/667Mhz iGPU|HD6650M OC 780Mhz/985Mhz dGPU|RAM 8GB DDR3 1333|Windows 7 Ultimate Sp.1 x64 bit.
>> Emulation speed differs for each game. There will be some you can run fast easily, but others will simply require more powerfull hardware <<.
forgot to add with expertool i cannot overclock the memory or the core clock settings only the shader :/ (the core slider is set at full the memory is at the other end and wont move) i am looking into that to see what the reason might be

got rid of that now got evga precision and after some testing it is stable at 400 mhz (any higher and the card breaks and i have to restart my computer) so i have it set to 396 mhz :/ not much but i might see better fps in my games (like front mission evolved my specs are either the same or better then what it asks for but it laggs)

and im looking at getting this card
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduc...ubcat=1984
(08-27-2011, 11:36 PM)heero yuy79 Wrote: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotion_Engine
Contrary to popular belief, the Emotion Engine is not a 128-bit processor as it does not process a single 128-bit value, but a group of four 32-bit values that are stored in one 128-bit register. (under vector processing units second paragraph)

as for the graphics card i am trying to get a new one and it is overclocked via expertool (its basic but i know nothing about graphics card overclocking unless the 20% overclock i did in the bios via jumperfree config (that has also upped the base clock speed of the ram) has also overclocked the graphics card)
but how is a new graphics card going to stop everything sounding drunk when my fps nosedives? (cause it most likely will but not as much)

1. Wikipedia is wrong.
2. wikipedia is contributed to by idiots.
heero yuy79 Wrote:low fps = everyone sounds drunk

Well, it is happy hour. Tongue

(08-27-2011, 11:36 PM)heero yuy79 Wrote: but how is a new graphics card going to stop everything sounding drunk when my fps nosedives?

Nope-- It can't. You'll just have to wait for them to sober up.
(TIP: offer them bread, or some crackers)

Ok, ok-- I'll be serious.

Since the sound syncs with the framerate, it's kinda hard to avoid the sound dragging when the FPS nosedives. But, if your GPU is no longer bottlenecking, it won't be the reason for the "inebriation". If the question is whether your current GPU is weak enough to cause slow-downs, then the answer is "Yes".

Furthermore; If you get a decent enough GPU, just about the only time you'll have to worry about your system not being enough for a certain game is:
  • Your CPU being too slow (very common with PCSX2). It is pretty good as it is, but will definitely "meet it's match" with some other games.
  • Or just compatibility in general.

The GPU you've linked is decent, and should suffice. I would suggest looking for a GPU with a GDDR5 data rate, such as the other variation of the HD 6570. Also, being from the very newest series is not as important, so you might find a better deal on an HD 5xxx GDDR5 (i.e. Certain HD 5550, 5570 and 5670 are GDDR5. Also, ANY 5750 or higher is GDDR5).

Basically, having a card with a GDDR5 data rate will have around twice the bandwidth as it's GDDR3 variation. Do this if you want to take your graphics seriously. Don't do this if low, or even native internal resolution will be fine for you (when necessary).
Quote:Basically, having a card with a GDDR5 data rate will have around twice the bandwidth as it's GDDR3 variation.

This is not (always) the case, in the case of nvidia, the removal of 128bits (4 dram modules) from the memory interface between the G200 and 400(fermi) families resulted in very similar performance between Fermi DDR5 bandwidth and G200 DDR3 performance.

not to mention if you shop at the lower end, hardware vendors have the cheek to drop the memory interface from 256 to 192 or 128 going from DDR3 to DDR5,
(08-29-2011, 04:59 AM)Squall Leonhart Wrote: 1. Wikipedia is wrong.
2. wikipedia is contributed to by idiots.

ok :/ someone needs to fix that then

@rezard
the one i have atm is this one
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduc...ubcat=1833
as for ddr5 i found this one about the same price as that other one i linked (i got a tight budget of pretty much nothing)
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduc...ubcat=1983