music in ff X sounds bad?
Some music sounds pretty good, but then this one track stood out in its horrible-ness compared to the original. (original can easily be found on youtube, if you don't remember how it sounded)

It's the boss battle theme, or one of them anyways, which can be heard when fighting the big fish-thing in the beginning when Tidus is alone.

I added a video as I'm very bad at explaining this in words:

The speed is perfect, no glitches or beeping either, but it sounds like a fan-made simple version of the song, instead of the original.

I played through persona 4 completely on an older version of the emulator and I don't think I had any off-sounding music on that one.(now on 0.9.8 , with the 1.5.0 version of the SPU2-X)

Is this normal, or should I be getting better music? And is this instance an example of ff X handling music differently? As just before the battle starts, you have the build-up music part of this theme, which sounds spot on!

I tried using the old plugin of the version I used to play persona with, and it did sound way better, but not as good as the original at all. (especially with reverb x 4 it sounded close, 8 was too much though)
I tried using pretty much all settings (custom / normal SPU as well, custom has the same problem)

If it were any other game I would just assume emulation isn't perfected that far yet and shrug it off, but this game seems close to the best supported one on pcsx2, so I had to ask.

Sponsored links

did you take 15 seconds to read the spu2-x 1.5.0 thread?
Yes I did, and I noticed one other user had the same problem only in the way that the new plugin took away the reverb for him.

I noticed this song sounded off even with older plugins, at least for me. So it wasn't only about that plugin and I felt it would have been off topic there because of it.

I'm sorry if I'm wrong about it.

Also, I'm very clueless about this kind of thing, even after trying to find out what reverb actually is and how it works/effects things (don't say google it, I did, my limited intelligence just doesn't allow me to understand something fully just by doing that). I didn't want to waste people's time by asking about everything and decided to just ask for help on a personal level instead.
Yep. We gotta stick with 1.4.0 if we want reverb in FFX, fake or not. This will improve over time.
Custom Desktop
CPU: Haswell Core i7 4770 3.40 GHz (3.90 GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
CPU Instructions: MMX, SSE1, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1,
SSE4.2, EIST, iAMT2, Trusted Execution Technology (TXT)  
RAM: 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM
HDD: 3 x 1 TB Western Digital HDD
Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 970 4 GB GDDR5
Audio: Realtek 5.1 HD Audio
So is it the reverb that makes the sound still off in that song particularly?

Is it heavily used there?

I'm just confused why it's so noticeable here compared to other games I've tested.
On 1.4.0 it doesn't sound as good as the original either, hence the topic.
What are the settings you've used on 1.4 to get it as good as possible then, nintendo85?
Lots of sliders I have no clue about '^^

My settings:
interpolation: 4: catmull-rom
reverb boost factor x 4
module: XAudio 2
latency: 150 ms
synchronizing: timestretch (I left the sliders on default, don't know what they do)
audio expansion: stereo (headphones in my case)
You can use Reverb Boost in 1.4.0 (they're listed x2, x4, x8, use x2 or x4). It isn't real reverb but it sounds okay; it doesn't sound flat though.

[Image: SPU2-X140.png]
Custom Desktop
I envy that 5.1 option you have activated there >.> I have to do everything with cheap old headphones. (even then, the music is important to me though)

If I may ask, what does the Winamp DSP plugin do?

Aside from that, I picked timestretch instead of Async mix, but I switch between them, not much difference to me.

(06-21-2011, 01:19 AM)kenshee Wrote: I envy that 5.1 option you have activated there >.> I have to do everything with cheap old headphones. (even then, the music is important to me though)

If I may ask, what does the Winamp DSP plugin do?

Aside from that, I picked timestretch instead of Async mix, but I switch between them, not much difference to me.

Oops. I don't use 5.1, I just thought it might help reverb but it doesn't. I use headphones, too. I have no idea what the DSP plugin does, as I hate winamp; it closes every time I convert something to MP3.
Custom Desktop
Don't know if this already counts as necro-ing the thread, but after using the latest revision the sound quality is already 10x better for me Smile

Eagerly keeping tabs on what changes happen to the SPU plugin,
Reverb is pretty much figured out now, yea.
We had a huge bug in it for years that now got fixed Smile